1 night out in LA with no kids

We are coming to visit LA for a week and will probably only have one night to drop our 2 year old with grandma and have a real grown up dinner. What one place would you want to go? I grew up in LA but have not lived there for 20 years and rarely make it back for more than a few days a year. So we have not been many places since LA became a cool[er] food city and would love recommendations!

We’re staying in Santa Monica but ok with venturing further afield. Not particularly price sensitive (we hardly ever get to go out so we’re happy to go big) but also not looking for a long tasting menu. Since we hardly every get out, we’d prefer to avoid communal table style eating and have a real date night. Last time we were in LA we went to Republique, loved the food, but would enjoy going somewhere less loud/sceney.

Any tips would be much appreciated!

Somni, no question.

OP isn’t looking for a long tasting menu or communal dining.

how about osteria mozza, angler or felix?

1 Like

hello, senator… i say https://chispacca.com and i’m always right. as an elected official you have the obligation to listen to us.

1 Like

Somni does sound delicious, but I’m coming from DC where we have all the Jose Andres your heart could desire. Thank you though!

Chi Spacca looks awesome - thank you!

1 Like

Agree with @Nemroz that you cannot miss with Chi Spacca.
But it can be a major schlep from SaMo (I can’t believe I am even saying this because one of my pet peeves is people in LA complaining about traffic and using it as an excuse to avoid everything). But if time in the car becomes an impediment for you, you can certainly have a killer meal in SaMo or Venice:
Felix, Cassia, Tar and Roses, Shunji’s as well.

3 Likes

Thanks I will check these out! I’ve got a high tolerance for the traffic so I don’t mind the schlep, but close to home base is always a good option.

We chose staying in Santa Monica so we could easily get to Gjusta for breakfast at least a couple of times on our trip! :slight_smile: As someone who spent their wayward youth going to the drum circle in Venice Beach it is truly amazing how transformed the neighborhood is now…

5 Likes

is Gjelina still good?

Felix has great food (especially the pasta dishes), but it’s going to be noisy, packed and cramped. If you want to dine here, you’ll need to book a table early as the time slots between 6 and 8:30pm are taken up quickly. You’ll most likely will find plenty of 5pm and after 9pm reservations though.

My recommendations would be Tesse on the Sunset Strip, Kali Restaurant on Melrose (Hollywood), Craft (Century City), Sasabune (for sushi/sashimi, West LA), Trois Mec (if you don’t mind a 5-course tasting menu, Hollywood), Birdie G’s (Santa Monica), Little Prince (Venice), and I was going to recommend KASS Wine Bar, but Chef Christophe Eme departed earlier this month due to disagreement with other business partners on the direction the restaurant should take.

1 Like

Were they trying to make money and he was content?

Next time, I should learn to read first

yes

Insert USC comment here… ;-D

Closer to SaMo: Shunji, Cassia, Felix…
Not sure what the Chinese scene is like in DC these days, so just in case: Sichaun Impression (West LA)
Further afoot, I’d echo what the other FTCers said: Chi Spacca, Osteria Mozza, Tesse, Kali… Add: Employees Only
If travel time is not an issue, I would add: Bavel, Majordomo, Lasa

Birdie G’s can get loud.

Enjoy date night! And welcome to FTC.

3 Likes

My friend went to Birdie G’s this past weekend and said he had a great meal. I think Birdie G’s would be different/unique from what you’d get in DC. Total California vibe and very farmers market/veggie driven.

Feel like chi spacca isn’t the best for 2 people… really need at least a group of 4 in my experience. For more of a date night I’d go Osteria Mozza hands down.

Also I’d suggest Cut in Beverly Hills

2 Likes

I get it. But we don’t like the large format cuts anyway so we do fine with 4 dishes and 2 bottles there. It’s easy to order right for your table size there.

Drinks at The Prince
Dinner at Gwang Yang

1 Like

If you don’t need something too “formal,” partner and I love Belle Vie for a more casual date night. Very close to Santa Monica.

@attran99 just mentioned that she really liked her meal at Hatchet Hall, so perhaps consider that, too.

Have not been recently, but is Tavern still good? That could also be very appropriate.

I think AOC could be very romantic (esp on the patio).

3 Likes

Agreed on AOC.

@Nemroz you’re right… I personally would rather eat at Chi Spacca hahahha… but I guess it depends on what type of vibe you want… Osteria is definitely more of a fancy date night type spot while Spacca more casual (but better eating for sure). Can’t go wrong with either.

1 Like