2022 Mexico City recs?

Edit I am pulling a trip together for October. I assume I’ll do the taco stand classics, but it’s the higher-end spots that I’m more confused by. The only must for me at the moment is Quintonil. Does anybody have intel on any newer restaurants on the scene?

2 Likes

I have not been since the pandemic, but friends who have in the last six months liked Pujol’s Omakase taco. David Castro Hussong, of Fauna in the Valle de Guadalupe, opened LaMari in Mexico City. Looks good but haven’t heard reports. Mi Compa Chava (for mariscos) if that’s not on your radar, though it’s not super upscale. Had a very nice meal at Meroma a few years back. Upscale but not as technique driven as Pujol or Quintonil.

1 Like

this is probably not very helpful, but one i’ve seen mentioned in many of the usual places recently is esquina comun (https://www.instagram.com/esquinacomun/). https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/10/t-magazine/esquina-comun-mexico-city.html on world’s 50 best there’s also sud 777. haven’t been to either myself, so no useful info about them other than that they’re in the press

2 Likes

Contra mar for sure get a reservation. Their grilled snook and ahi tostada are :fire:

3 Likes

it’s still that good? does LA have even have institutions like Contramar?

2 Likes

It was that good when I went in 2018 and 2017 can’t believe that that was like 4-5 years ago seems like yesterday.

Fair enough. It’s my first time, so I plan on meandering over there at some point!!!

Reached out to Esquina Comun! Thanks. Also, I’m gonna book at sud 777 because I can’t get in to either Quintonil or Pujol hahah

these are all super helpful. i’m at a bit of a loss when it comes to Mexico City. LaMari looks delicious, as does Mi Compa Chava. I will also check out Meroma.

1 Like

on the plus side of not getting a reservation at pujol, whenever next you go to cdmx and do get a reservation, the mole will be that much older…

personally, the two things seared in my mind from cdmx are the cochinita (in all forms) from el turix, and the mollejas (sweetbread) taco from los cocuyos, even though both are heavily frequented by tourists (including myself). i hit up los cocuyos at 8am for the mollejas

3 Likes

you might also keep a close eye on pujol’s opentable for day-of or next-day reservations that open up. e.g. right now theres a table for today at 6

3 Likes

Or try pujol for lunch. They used to do tacokase at the counter.

1 Like

It will be good to have a 15 year old mole instead of a 14 year old mole or whatever it is at this point!

Many thanks for the specific recs: there’s all of a sudden so much info on Mexico City that doing research I’m getting a bit of information overload. Everything looks incredible, ha

1 Like

ugh, also booked out.

:frowning: maybe try giving them a call I heard you could walk up right when they opened

1 Like

well well, booked a reservation at esquina comun. thanks for the intel on it! I’d missed that article. Also, I’ve now heard numerous good things about sud 777, so I reckon I’ll go but it seems an easy reservation bc it’s a bit of a hike from most of the standard tourism areas.

hope both of them are good!!

vaguely along the way to sud 777 from city center is also los 3 reyes - vvv good barbacoa, only open sat/sun tho

1 Like

Any other spots you loved that you haven’t already listed? The other two are on my list now!

1 Like

los cocuyos i feel relatively confident recommending because i ended up going to it 3 times in 2.5 days, but even so, both for it and el turix, my impressions are almost certainly influenced by the right/specific-time-and-place aspect of things.
the one other thing that really stuck in my mind was tlacoyos - something about the masa reminded me of the first time i had a real handmade corn tortilla. i went to a stand outside mercado de medellín, which was mentioned on some websites and had some tourists when i was there, but i have no idea if it’s still there, or if there are better options.

three things i was not terribly impressed by were some of the famous al pastor establishments (el huequito, el tizoncito), churreria el moro, and marisqueria el k-guamo, but this may have been because they were at the end of long eating days (el moro used to be open 24hrs)

when i was making my itinerary, i mostly tried to find places bill esparza had written positively about.
you may find this list mildly useful … bloomberg - mexico city’s best tacos 2017

2 Likes

In contrast to BK, who admittedly is probably more reliable than me, we very much enjoyed the tacos at Los Cocuyos, the pozole at La casa de tono and the pastor at El Huequito. If in Zona Centro area, these restaurants are all on the same street. For what it’s worth, we really loved El Moro also.

2 Likes