2022 Thai Town update?

I was surprised how good the Pad Thai outside Silom is. Also seems to be blowing up recently.

Amphai/NTFC is my favorite years later. My mom is Southern Thai, and the usage + combos of herbs is still foreign/mindblowing to us. The vermicelli noodle dish is unbeatable for me. “Hell chicken,” too, when they have it. It’s one of the only quality places I know where you can’t adjust the spice, and where it hits exactly where I want it. (P.S. When you go to the bathroom, you can sneak a peek at their spice racks… they fly a lot of stuff directly from the motherland. Some weird things that are impossible to source here.)

Sapp still might be the all around best for me after a couple decades–despite the staff being relatively unfriendly, even if you speak Thai or go every week.

10 Likes

Service level: Asian

8 Likes

Lad Nah Silom is making their way around some of the IG accounts I follow.

It’s definitely on my to-do list.

2 Likes

Went last week, and there was a line. Good for them!

For me it was good but a little goopy/sweet/wet. And the dried shrimp were a little large/sharp. I prefer the tiny ones. But I’m not an expert on pad thai by any means.

Also went to Mesa thai. Think I slightly prefer their special pad thai by a hair, though overall I like Holy Basil or Pad Thai Khon Kaen at Yai. Mesa has an untranslated/loosely translated list of specials, which I think are mostly som tum variations?

*pictured pre assembled are Nam Khao Todd and Moo Tok Krok.

4 Likes

Speaking of Amphai NTFC and Holy Basil, Mama’s drive-by kitchen has this available for pickup on the west side this Sunday if anyone is interested in trying the food and doesn’t want to schlep to DTLA and thai town. https://drivebykitchen.com/

2 Likes

Thanks for the intel.
$ 65 seems pricey for what you get but less driving means something, I guess.

4 Likes

It’s not cheap, but the price is fair IMO. Compare with the Holy Basil Table22 subscription @ $68 for a meal for 2 that you pick up yourself. Holy Basil — Table22 From previous experience, it’s worth it if you’re not realistically going to go out and try these places yourself.

Of course, if you’re willing to drive out and pickup you can get it cheaper. However Mama’s markup isn’t bad and it supports the community too. From what I’ve seen it’s very much a grass roots org, no one’s trying to get rich off it. If you have the means I think it’s worth supporting them.

5 Likes

Thanks for that information…I never heard of this group and it does seem to be offering a benevolent/community-oriented service.

2 Likes

Had it again this week, the Pad Thai at Lad Nah Silom, and now agree it’s prob the best of the versions I’ve had recently, Holy Basil, Mesa, and this. A little more complex and deep. And they take Venmo.

On another Thai town note, does anyone know what’s up with Pailin? Both times I’ve tried to go during listed hours it’s been shut with the metal gate closed.

1 Like

Jitlada remains my favorite by a wide margin. I eat there with the expectation that it is going to blow my senses away, and boy does it ever. I’m not going to claim it is most refined or anything. It’s generally too spicy for Peony.

What are your go-to dishes at Jitlada? I’ve only been once a few years ago and didn’t have the best experience. Suspecting I ordered the wrong things, I wanna go back but with a better plan of attack.

Separately, past 3 bites I had in Thai Town were great

Pa Ord Noodle - I assume the original since there’s no number next to it on Google Maps

Crispy catfish, stir fried curry. LOVED this dish, bones were pretty minimal (usually just a center piece in cross-section). I think Boran Thai makes a similar dish, and I’d be interested in knowing if there are other places other FTCers have been to that were notable and worth going to.

Amphai/Northern Thai Food Club

The Khao Soi that ruined all other Khao Sois for me. This dish was always “OK/fine” to me, but NTFC was definitely the first place that made me genuinely enjoy the dish. Also looking for tips of other Khao Soi places worth checking out

Their Papaya salad was probably the most intense I’ve ever tasted. There was a certain darkness and dankness that came from what I believe are smoked and fermented fish that’s pounded into the sauce. Definitely delicious, but hard for me to commit to eating the whole portion compared to other less intense/more refreshing interpretations in the city.

re: Luv2Eat

• No photos, but can confirm the Moo Ping – BBQ Pork Skewers & Fried Chicken are still delicious. I definitely lack the dexterity/finesse to eat the Southern Style Crab Curry. Delicious yes, but I’m an unskilled eater :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
  • Definitely not the best Thai Food I’ve had, but still very competent, and its biggest strength is its location/proxmity to nightlife in WeHo (barhopping, Sound Nightclub).

Bhan Kanom Thai Desserts

Kanom Krok - essentially coconut creme brulees/cramelized coconut cream. Shatteringly crispy exterior leads to a gummy and chewy mantle which leads to a molten, coconut ganache core [not technically correct, but the closest analogy I can think of]

Absolutely incredible, even better when freshly made. Unforunately, most of the times I’ve been here they’ve been sitting around for at least a few hours. Still good and heats up very well in an air-fryer, but a very different experience from going to Mae Ting’s in Chinatown, where they are made to order.

11 Likes

Not in Thai Town, but I really like the one at Chiang Mai in Valley Village.

3 Likes

pailin

4 Likes

They no longer have an ice cream bar :frowning:

Chang Rai if you are around Long Beach does a great KS

3 Likes

Pailin may be closed… It’s been gated up and locked the last two times I tried, twice in the last 3 weeks.

2 Likes

nom_life on IG has a post about Thai Town night market on Mon/Tue night

4 Likes

Yeah that just came on my radar too. Across from Siam Sunset outside the 99cent store.

5 Likes

Thai friend says they take their vacation this time of year. Will keep :crossed_fingers:.

2 Likes

Appreciate the info!