$300 at Sur La Table - What Should I Buy?

I generally feel like I have more than enough stuff already and to make room for something new I’d need to get rid of something old.

1 Like

Agreed. And what I have works fine so I’m not going to replace it until it doesn’t satisfy me. Others mileage may vary.

[quote=“robert, post:18, topic:5241”]
I’d probably get a Le Creuset oval pot in between the two sizes I currently have.
[/quote]Good idea. I use my Le Creuset way more than I thought I would… and my All-Clad less than I thought I would.

I use the 5.5-quart All-Clad dutch oven mostly when the similar-sized Le Creuset is already in use.

I have Lodge, LC and Staub DOs. The one I choose is totally based on size. Otherwise I find them interchangeable. BTW, the humongous LC is something I swapped a tiny little old lady for something she wanted.

1 Like

[quote=“catholiver, post:25, topic:5241”]
the humongous LC is something I swapped a tiny little old lady for something she wanted.
[/quote]Love it.
One of my Cast Irons is Lodge. I think I got it at SLT actually.

I liked my Lodge D.O and was a great price . The bottom is completely chipped of the enamel coating . Got its use , looking to spring for a LC .

1 Like

Yah… I love the stove to oven ability of the All-Clad. But I don’t do a lot of the fast sauté type cooking that is so great in the AC. And anything I need to sear or fry I do in the Cast Iron skillet. I think we’ve discussed this on other threads; your favorite pans depend on how you cook.

See @Funtimes - Us home cooks are here. We jump all over this type of thread :slight_smile:.

Okay back to Sur La Table. This is the last thing I bought there, not on sale, but with a gift card.

It was great getting rid of the clunky knife block and having more counter space. But I should probably make it look more uniform :blush:.

Hey @robert & @Emglow101 -

I wonder if a proper French Cassoulet Vessel could be found at SLT? :thinking:

Am I being annoyingly off topic?

I think you are going to have to drive to France for that one .:sunglasses:

1 Like

My Lodge DO doesn’t have an enamel surface. It’s just CI.

1 Like

That’s better . There was a discussion about cooking tomatoes in a ci skillet . A well seasoned ci D.O should handle them . Something about the acid in the tomato . Pretty bullet proof pan when taken care of .

Okay, so that’s what I thought :slight_smile:.

True, it is a pretty bullet proof pan when taken care of, especially when well seasoned… Shhh, I even use soap on mine sometimes. But for pan sauces, I definitely make use of the All-Clad.

1 Like

Okay, I feel guilty (kinda’) about all this Dutch Oven, non-advice Sur La Table-ness. So, here’s something: I took a Thomas Keller Cooking Class at SLT, received an autographed Ad Hoc Cookbook, plus a discount on anything I bought in the store that day.

Disclaimer: Keller didn’t teach the class. But I learned how to make aioli :relaxed:.

I use soap. It’s not that big a deal of you just dry it, heat it, wipe a little oil on it, and heat a little more. I think a lot of cast iron rules are just superstition. :ghost:

2 Likes

Yay… That’s exactly how I do it! I did wait until it was pitch black and well-seasoned though.

It’s the only one I’ve used… frankly home sous vide cooking is a bit of a PITA. Don’t use mine very often

1 Like

I’m kind of afraid of this happening to me as well. We’re also trying to cut back on the amount of meat we eat.

1 Like

I got the Anova for Christmas and have been loving it. For your budget, you could probably also get a vacuum sealer. So far, I have been using it in my LC Dutch oven.

My experience has been different than @Sgee’s. I don’t find it to be a PITA at all, and the results for things like really thick steaks and chops with a sear at the end are sublime.

1 Like