38 essential old-school Mexican restaurants

I guess Eater hasn’t trademarked “38.”

4 Likes

I get why they put Casita Del Campo on the list – the space is great and the history – but the food is egregious. Pre-made guac from a bag like the supermarket. It’s so much worse than it needs to be.

1 Like

Not that there’s anything unique about essential 38, but this is a pretty lame move.

What began as a family operation remains so — and that goes for both ownership and the recipes in Koreatown’s hacienda-style Mexican Village, the kind of restaurant where papel picado hangs from the rafters and one can wash down a sizzling fajita platter with more than 50 tequilas and mezcales.

Maybe that explains why she thinks it’s in Koreatown.

1 Like

I’ve been to Casita del Campo a few times b/c partner’s long-time friend does a seasonal show in the theater downstairs, but I don’t know if I’ve ever eaten the food there. I imagine I must’ve eaten there ONCE. But, based on your post, I’m almost curious to try it (again) just to see how bad it is! I don’t know if I’ve ever seen “egregious” applied to food!

1 Like

If you don’t want to pay for LATimes then cntrl-A select all and cntrl-C copy before the pop up.

TIL, good tip