5 Stars Huế -finally a Vietnamese spot we’re excited about in the SGV

Will do!

1 Like

Looks like a wonderful meal! You do know that Chowseeker is no longer with us right? He might be lurking though

1 Like

Can you let me know next time you go? I have a hard time finding people to go with!

1 Like

If we weren’t in a pandemic, would gladly host a FTC meet up there :sleepy:

13 Likes

Empty parking lot meet up?

1 Like

I know!! It’s a great place to order a load of things and share…

We went to the Alhambra location a few weeks ago to do to go. But we saw the seating area was rather clean and well spaced, so we opted to stay just to make sure we got the full experience…

We ordered and the dishes came out QUICK! The first thing we got was the Jackfruit salad. I’m not the biggest fan of Jack Fruit, but this was PERFECT. It came out warm and well seasoned. The Rice Crackers that came with where fresh and the perfect scoop. this is going to be a must order for us for sure!

I convinced P. to go here because they had Spring Rolls on the menu (Thanks for taking one for the team @TheCookie. They actually look rather nice and fresh!) and I refuse to go to Summer Rolls restaurant now because of their wage theft issue… but when we got there, he opted to get the appetizer sampler instead…

Each of the items were so different! We loved the Bahn Ram It Steamed dumplings. The most interesting thing was the Bahn Ram La, which was kinda like a super thin tamale!

Of course we had to get the Nem Lui. I echo what @TheCookie said about that peanut sauce. Rustic, yet complex. The pork was well grilled and juicy. Just loved it with the paper wrapper which unlike the traditional rice wrapper can sometimes get in the way of the flavors.

Finally the reason I really went, they had this wonderful Bahn Hoi dish on the menu and Bahn Hoi is one of my most favorite things. I love the pork, and the shrimp cake. But the crispy tofu was such a nice contrast with the herbs and noodle wrapper.

Overall, we were VERY impressed with the portions and prep of everything. Even the peanuts scattered throughout the dishes were absolutely fresh roasted, plentiful and delicious.

13 Likes

Thanks for great report—the sampler is def a great way to go.

Ok so the sauce—it’s not the traditional peanut hoisin that most places have. The hue version at 5 stars (at least the one taught to me by our hue nanny ) has fermented soy bean and liver (shortcut would be using patê) so that’s why it’s more complex and nuanced. @TheCookie

5 Likes

I never even heard of this. amazing. what a time to be alive.

I did some duck duck going and I guess it’s called bánh tráng tươi. what’s the texture like? like a flour tortilla?

1 Like

It’s crisp but pliable. Like a crackery crepe. It’s VERY thin but holds up well.

5 Likes

What @Dommy said!

1 Like

See you at that table?

4 Likes

Thanks for the responses, posts & info. folks (good patio shot @Dommy). I looked for a better shot of the rice paper for you @PorkyBelly :smile: but they’re so white they blend into the placemat. Haha @JeetKuneBao, how could I ever forget Chowseeker’s departure? We had a couple of funny discussions about soups like this and my squeamishness. I had to tag him. :wink:

P.S. Idk when but it’s a date @moonboy403.

3 Likes

12 Likes

stay thirsty

2 Likes

shout-out to @hppzz from the bladdison

8 Likes

another good best of the best summer rolls episode with diep tran

6 Likes

sad to say, but the place closed earlier this year.