A Chef-Driven, Neighborhood Pastrami Stand - Johnny's West Adams (+ Impromptu Pastrami Battle! Langer's vs. Johnny's vs. Brent's Deli vs. Ugly Drum) [Thoughts + Pics]

I agree with this. Your substitution makes more sense now.
But… I would need to get down a pretty long list of other things I want to eat at Langer’s before I arrived at #19 w/ Turkey. Like this, for example:

YES!! WIth fresh cut white onion… YES!!!

–Dommy!

6 Likes

I always laugh at Chicago residents and fans of chicago style dogs who are so strident in their opposition to ketchup in hot dogs while touting the perfect chicago dog with all those different toppings.

So, it’s okay to bury the damn dog in a garden but adding ketchup to it desecrates the sacred balance of flavors and the nuance of the dog is lost? Yeah… :thinking: :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Hi @Gr8pimpin,

I think I’m dreaming right now as I type this, because I think I just read that you finally went to Langer’s? :wink: And more importantly you enjoyed their legendary Pastrami Sandwich? :blush:

Yay! So happy you enjoyed it, pretty good right? :wink:

2 Likes

Agree, I actually think the salty, sweet, sour of the cole slaw goes just fine w/ pastrami.

3 Likes

Hi @JeetKuneBao,

!!! You’ve never had the Corned Beef at Langer’s? :open_mouth: (Well, I don’t blame you, since whenever we go to Langer’s we have to have the Pastrami… I regret it if I leave there without having it.) But for someone who’s done a OOE at Il Romanista(!) and have your Uncle Bruce as your avatar, I think you can tackle both a Langer’s Pastrami and try their Corned Beef next time! :wink:

@JeetKuneBao @Gr8pimpin for your next visit at Langer’s:

• #54 (Modified): Beef Tongue & Corned Beef Sandwich: It is ridiculous. SO GOOD! :heart:

• #33 - Patty Melt: In honor of Servorg (on our old board)! Ridiculous.

• #27 - Chopped Egg & Chopped Liver Sandwich: I don’t even like Liver normally but this combo of Langer’s Egg Salad and Chopped Liver was fantastic!

• Corned Beef Hash & Eggs: Old-school American Diner-style Corned Beef Hash! :blush:

• #88 - Hot Corned Beef, Sauerkraut, Swiss Cheese Grilled on Rye Sandwich: It’s their take on a Reuben. Eat immediately (to enjoy the toasty crunch)! :heart:

Pics in an earlier thread:

5 Likes

Dude. Thanks for the nudge. I actually dropped off wifey at the airport :mask: and then said, WTF!

It was really great! (See comments above LOL!!)

Pastrami rueben is next.

6 Likes

Totally agree that people should eat what they want. I, personally love the #19 and the plain pastrami. Ain’t it great to have choices.

I actually prefer Chicago dogs w/o ketchup, but my go-to since I was a kid was ketchup, mustard, relish, and onion. I even throw some mayo in there once in a while.

2 Likes

If somebody likes ketchup on their hot dog, well, there’s no accounting for taste.

On the other hand, if they’re in Chicago and don’t bother to try the classic version, they deserve relentless ridicule.

1 Like

You are making me so hungry.

Me too… but no relish.

Oh boy… not just ridicule. Relentless ridicule.

100% agree and i’ve been yelling at the whole internet for years. F #19 . Keep pastrami pure… i don’t want a salad on my cheeseburger either.

1 Like

To me nothing beats a bacon wrapped hot dog with KETCHUP, MAYO, mustard, grilled onions and peppers, and grilled chile/jalapeño. Even better after a concert at Hollywood Bowl or a game at Staples. Or shenanigans along Sunset Blvd or in Koreatown.

Take your boring ass traditional, pure hot dog boiled in dirt water with mustard and relish…yawn

7 Likes

Pineapple on pizza?
Pineapple in coleslaw?
Strawberries or mango on passion fruit cream pie?
Sriracha and hoisin in pho?

Just trying to stimulate more fun debates to further push this thread off track :grin:

7 Likes

You should always eat with relish :wink:

1 Like

Street dog after a Laker game is part of the experience!

5 Likes

Yup, I might side eye at some food combinations but heck I know some of my faves would induce similar if not worse reactions in many people. So whatever, as long as someone is adventurous and willing to try different flavors, who cares what they pick as their favorite.

Really, I’m not even questioning anyone who likes ketchup on their dog, I just crack up at ludicrousness of Chicago dog purists who insist upon a mountain of a vegetable garden on top of their dog but take it as a personal offense to the integrity and taste of the hot dog if someone wants some ketchup with it.

Because biting through sport peppers, pickle, etc, you can appreciate the nuances of the dog but heaven forbid a drizzle of ketchup that would completely obliterate the subtle differences. Yeah right. :roll_eyes:

13 Likes

Yeah the most cringey are people that are not open to try anything new. I knew a guy who literally only ate hot dogs, hamburgers, turkey sandwiches (no veggies on any) and being adventurous was getting nachos with only nacho cheese on it. Not to be too food/armchair psychologist on it but I think that says a lot about a person.

5 Likes

My cousin’s husband refuses to eat rice or seafood… and she’s half Japanese. His mother-in-law hates him.

2 Likes