A Chef-Driven, Neighborhood Pastrami Stand - Johnny's West Adams (+ Impromptu Pastrami Battle! Langer's vs. Johnny's vs. Brent's Deli vs. Ugly Drum) [Thoughts + Pics]

Totally agree that people should eat what they want. I, personally love the #19 and the plain pastrami. Ain’t it great to have choices.

I actually prefer Chicago dogs w/o ketchup, but my go-to since I was a kid was ketchup, mustard, relish, and onion. I even throw some mayo in there once in a while.

2 Likes

If somebody likes ketchup on their hot dog, well, there’s no accounting for taste.

On the other hand, if they’re in Chicago and don’t bother to try the classic version, they deserve relentless ridicule.

1 Like

You are making me so hungry.

Me too… but no relish.

Oh boy… not just ridicule. Relentless ridicule.

100% agree and i’ve been yelling at the whole internet for years. F #19 . Keep pastrami pure… i don’t want a salad on my cheeseburger either.

1 Like

To me nothing beats a bacon wrapped hot dog with KETCHUP, MAYO, mustard, grilled onions and peppers, and grilled chile/jalapeño. Even better after a concert at Hollywood Bowl or a game at Staples. Or shenanigans along Sunset Blvd or in Koreatown.

Take your boring ass traditional, pure hot dog boiled in dirt water with mustard and relish…yawn

7 Likes

Pineapple on pizza?
Pineapple in coleslaw?
Strawberries or mango on passion fruit cream pie?
Sriracha and hoisin in pho?

Just trying to stimulate more fun debates to further push this thread off track :grin:

7 Likes

You should always eat with relish :wink:

1 Like

Street dog after a Laker game is part of the experience!

5 Likes

Yup, I might side eye at some food combinations but heck I know some of my faves would induce similar if not worse reactions in many people. So whatever, as long as someone is adventurous and willing to try different flavors, who cares what they pick as their favorite.

Really, I’m not even questioning anyone who likes ketchup on their dog, I just crack up at ludicrousness of Chicago dog purists who insist upon a mountain of a vegetable garden on top of their dog but take it as a personal offense to the integrity and taste of the hot dog if someone wants some ketchup with it.

Because biting through sport peppers, pickle, etc, you can appreciate the nuances of the dog but heaven forbid a drizzle of ketchup that would completely obliterate the subtle differences. Yeah right. :roll_eyes:

13 Likes

Yeah the most cringey are people that are not open to try anything new. I knew a guy who literally only ate hot dogs, hamburgers, turkey sandwiches (no veggies on any) and being adventurous was getting nachos with only nacho cheese on it. Not to be too food/armchair psychologist on it but I think that says a lot about a person.

5 Likes

My cousin’s husband refuses to eat rice or seafood… and she’s half Japanese. His mother-in-law hates him.

2 Likes

:exploding_head:

2 Likes

Oh my goodness, that must make for some fun family gatherings. Is it just pop some popcorn and be amused on the sidelines time? :joy: :joy: :joy:

2 Likes

I’d add a personal sub category to that. That same person being vocally judgmental about someone else’s food choices. Had a friend of a friend accompany us on a taco run one time, I mentioned that I didn’t like cilantro and have to be careful to specify that when ordering if a stand didn’t have a self serve condiment bar.

I got lectured by the person on how I didn’t appreciate “authentic” mexican tacos and probably just liked american mexican food. How they always ordered it with all the toppings.

We got to the stand and i ordered buche and lengua tacos, since the stand did that well. Of course the person was aghast I’d get anything except carne asada. :roll_eyes: :expressionless:

Freaking putz was never included in future taco runs.

14 Likes

Ugh, those are annoying people… :slightly_frowning_face:

Reminds me of when one of our friends, who is Mexican, ordered his tacos with no onions because he didn’t like them and told us that some members of his family would give him a hard time about it because it was traditional to have onions… :roll_eyes:

Of course, being the good friends that we are, we call him “pinche sin cebolla” whenever we get tacos now (which has been a while since COVID).

4 Likes

Lolll what a dork, glad you got that guy outta there!

Are you one of the 4-14% of people who gets the soapy cilantro taste in their mouths?

1 Like

No, I’m just very sensitive to the taste of it and overall not a big fan. I’m fine in small quantities as a subtle back note, especially if it’s cooked. But if it crosses a certain threshold, the scent and flavor just overwhelms and I can’t taste anything else. It’s frustrating when places just dump handfuls on top of a dish and every bite has tons of fresh cilantro.

It’s weird since I can taste other flavors even if something has a ton of garlic or onions, but something about cilantro overwhelms.

In the end, I think it’s a small tradeoff for the fact that I have no food allergies of any sort, cilantro is the only food that sort of bothers me and there’s no medical harm if I do eat it so I can choke it down to be polite if the situation calls for it.

I can handle just about any food texture and odor and have an adventurous palate. So if the tradeoff is a dislike and sensitivity to cilantro, it’s well worth it to me. If I’m being petty with people who give me a hard time about cilantro, I’ll challenge them to eat some of the foods I’ve had and I’ve always won that battle.

5 Likes

I loathe Tarragon. It makes me irrationally angry, like someone purposely put it in the dish to offend me.

3 Likes