A Cut Above — Santa Monica

I didn’t easily spot a topic for A Cut Above so I thought I’d start one.
I tried the Italian sandwich yesterday and thought it was pretty solid. As is the pattern here, pretty untraditional; this doesn’t eat like a Godmother or other East Coast inspired sandwiches. The quality of the meats is very high here and that is the main draw. The giardinera is more mild mannered than a Kenny G album, but it has a freshness that is kinda nice once you accept the lack of heat.

When Heroic Deli is unexpectedly closed because their website/social media game is fakakta, this is a great option.

Also saw this, for those on a diet:

10 Likes

Love their non-traditional, but delicious, Cuban sandwich.

5 Likes

I visited here a lot when I lived in LA. ACA and Santa Monica Seafood were some of my go-tos for cooking. ACA also has a nice Lemongrass Flank Steak banh mi. Good people and a dependable shop.

The Cuban at ACA is one of the best sandwiches I ate in 2018.

I think that Cubano is the best of their sandwich offerings that I’ve tried. I’ve had about 2/3 of the sandwich menu. It’s got a powerful hit of cumin in that roast pork!

1 Like

On Saturdays and Sundays, A Cut Above now offers a delicious fried Jidori chicken sandwich with cole slaw, bacon, tomatoes and BBQ sauce on a brioche bun for $12.75. The chicken (an ample portion) was perfectly fried and still juicy and a very good quality bacon added its own great flavor and texture.

3 Likes

FYI, an email from them re coronavirus-related changes:

Dear Meat Enthusiasts,

We will be CLOSED
MONDAY 3/16 and TUESDAY 3/17

We will be accepting 24 hour notice phone orders for curbside pick up only starting Wednesday 3/18 (please no voicemail nor email)

310-998-8500

We will not be accepting walk-ins nor cash transactions.

We continue to receive our shipments and our supply chain has not been affected however we will be putting limits on the quantities so that everyone can be taken care of.

Thank you for your understanding during this time of unrest. We are all in this together.

Eddy & Alice

2 Likes

Thanks for this.