A Hong Kong Michelin-Starred Export Arrives in So Cal - Tim Ho Wan (Irvine) Grand Opening [Thoughts + Pics]

Yup. I was only talking about the rice itself and not the fillings.

1 Like

Hi @beefnoguy,

Thanks for the thoughts on other THW branches and the evolution of this restaurant. I was definitely surprised to learn it now has over 40+ branches around the world; they certainly have found success (similar to Din Tai Fung, or to a lesser extent locally, Sugarfish).

The sad part is, with the sheer # of people waiting in line, you would’ve thought this was the arrival of the greatest food on the planet or something (it wasn’t). We’ll see how the lines / hype / wait times go over the coming months.

1 Like

Same thing when Krispy Kreme came to town. Or when Sugarfish debuted in NYC.

3 Likes

As I recall when they opened in Manhattan, the wait continued to be like 3 hours for a few months. By the time I got there a year later it was half empty.

1 Like

+1.

The first time I had a Krispy Kreme, it was perhaps slightly after the initial hype had died down (while I was in college; they had opened an outpost literally right across the walkway from where I lived). I’m not a donut person, but I do recall thinking after my first bite, “Wow, this is MARVELOUS. Why is this so much better than all other donuts I’ve ever tried???” Hee, hee. :slight_smile:

Back on-topic…

2 Likes

It’s still packed all the time!!! 2hr waits on weekday evenings, same goes for Kazu Nori. And they’re opening a new outlet. All as I predicted a couple years ago :wink:. NYC is sorely lacking decent mid priced sushi options.

I predict this initial frenzy at THW will fade if they don’t up their game. Especially in SoCal where there are many more alternatives. Case in point - NYC. It’s already faded in a city lacking good dim sum options and a less discerning clientele. Sugarfish at least does a decent job with their concept. THW really can’t keep coasting on their 1* reputation on that sole branch in HK. Emperor with no clothes…

3 Likes

they need a Kazu Nori in Burbank/Studio City so bad. Sugarfish is packed to the gills all the time, Kazu Nori would be an ATM

1 Like

I’m in total admiration of their business model.

3 Likes

No way 40+ restaurants are going to be very good. Question: what was it that earned the original a Michelin*?

No idea whether THW but some French dude by the name of Joel Robuchon didn’t do too shabby with 20+ restaurants worldwide. Another French bum Alain Ducasse isn’t doing too terribly either with 30+.

Pure speculation on my part, but Michelin had been trying to be more inclusive and paid special attention toward local specialties (reads dim sum, Canto BBQ, and wonton noodle in Hong Kong), so they broke out of their mold and awarded one star to cheaper and less deserving places.

1 Like

Well then. When you talk about guys like that…

But this sounds like the equivalent of putting a few names in a hat and blindly picking one. Kinda’ lame? But you gotta’ hand it to the guy. He built an empire off of one “very good” bun and a lucky Michelin*. This is reminding me of Mr. Cronut, minus the star.

1 Like

And he was the Executive Chef of the *** Lung King Heen before he started THW.

2 Likes

The original owner/dim sum chef of THW hailed from Lung King Heen. He headed the dim sum service there and started off the debut Michelin Guide at 3 Michelin stars. Anyway, he left Lung King Heen and wanted to do a neighborhood dim sum place while providing quality dim sum at low prices and that’s how everything started.

3 Likes

Mak Kwai Pui was the head dim sum chef and wasn’t the executive chef (Chan Yan Tak is the EC).

…and the rest is history.

1 Like

Sold an empire. To a Singaporean conglomerate. The quality of the international branches is nowhere near that of the original restaurant in its day.

1 Like

Over 300 people in line earlier this morning.

Did you happen to drive by or perhaps you dined there?

Family members were hoping to dine there but when advance party got there 300 were already in line.

Wow. Thanks for the update. Definitely not worth that line.