A Hong Kong Michelin-Starred Export Arrives in So Cal - Tim Ho Wan (Irvine) Grand Opening [Thoughts + Pics]

they need a Kazu Nori in Burbank/Studio City so bad. Sugarfish is packed to the gills all the time, Kazu Nori would be an ATM

1 Like

I’m in total admiration of their business model.

3 Likes

No way 40+ restaurants are going to be very good. Question: what was it that earned the original a Michelin*?

No idea whether THW but some French dude by the name of Joel Robuchon didn’t do too shabby with 20+ restaurants worldwide. Another French bum Alain Ducasse isn’t doing too terribly either with 30+.

Pure speculation on my part, but Michelin had been trying to be more inclusive and paid special attention toward local specialties (reads dim sum, Canto BBQ, and wonton noodle in Hong Kong), so they broke out of their mold and awarded one star to cheaper and less deserving places.

1 Like

Well then. When you talk about guys like that…

But this sounds like the equivalent of putting a few names in a hat and blindly picking one. Kinda’ lame? But you gotta’ hand it to the guy. He built an empire off of one “very good” bun and a lucky Michelin*. This is reminding me of Mr. Cronut, minus the star.

1 Like

And he was the Executive Chef of the *** Lung King Heen before he started THW.

2 Likes

The original owner/dim sum chef of THW hailed from Lung King Heen. He headed the dim sum service there and started off the debut Michelin Guide at 3 Michelin stars. Anyway, he left Lung King Heen and wanted to do a neighborhood dim sum place while providing quality dim sum at low prices and that’s how everything started.

3 Likes

Mak Kwai Pui was the head dim sum chef and wasn’t the executive chef (Chan Yan Tak is the EC).

…and the rest is history.

1 Like

Sold an empire. To a Singaporean conglomerate. The quality of the international branches is nowhere near that of the original restaurant in its day.

1 Like

Over 300 people in line earlier this morning.

Did you happen to drive by or perhaps you dined there?

Family members were hoping to dine there but when advance party got there 300 were already in line.

Wow. Thanks for the update. Definitely not worth that line.

i really liked my quick meal at the hong kong central location in december. and that was as someone who went in expecting to find it overrated. everything i ate was better than any version i’ve had at sea harbour or elite, and those buns exceeded my expectations.

Everything you had, appearance wise looked much better than Irvine’s items. Especially the BBQ pork buns, it doesn’t even look like the same restaurant.

1 Like

yes, i’m pushing back against the view being expressed above that even in hong kong tim ho wan is not worth a visit. i think that’s wrong. yes, there are better dim sum places but it’s also better than some bigger, longer established places (maxim’s). at its price point it’s probably hard to beat. and i didn’t even eat at their premier locations.

2 Likes

+1

Ahhh… I see.

+1