A Japanese Curry Journey - From Americanized to Wonderful - Champion's Curry, Curryfornia, Akane Chaya, Kagura, Sagami, Daichan and Tanakaya, Foo Foo Tei, Midoh (Bonus: Pearl River Deli and Gjelina?!) [Thoughts + Pics]

Hi @Gr8pimpin,

Thank you! :slight_smile: What are some of your favorites at Daichan?

It’s like a neighborhood Japanese place you’d find in Gardena except it’s in Studio City. So you can expect above average authentic Japanese but maybe not something to drive 30+ minutes for. IMO.

I usually get the baby squid app, ten don, poke, curry, etc.

4 Likes

I am a fan of their poke (Poki as they call it). I even like the chicken version.

Wifey and kid are all over the map. She often gets the kawachi salmon and the garlic Hawaiian chicken. He likes the tuna soba and curry udon.

We usually share a Katsu.

Daichan is also quite inexpensive.

3 Likes

The people at Tempura House on Sawtelle are turning us into semi regulars. Despite the name, they do not serve tempura. but they do serve up a nice katsu curry, probably better than anything else on Sawtelle. I had It’s an all-takeout place that has set up a few tables on their sidewalk. Service is more than friendly and helpful. l had the tonkatsu but they also offer chicken katsu. I have also enjoyed their grilled mackeral.

12 Likes

They have really tasty Chicken Hamburg Steak special a couple times a week. But I haven’t been since the re-opened… But looking forward to heading down there soon since they extended their hours.

Also, the Katsu Sando stand opened up for their first brick and mortar in Chinatown this past week. They also have added curry to the menu. Looking forward to giving it a whirl…

1 Like

Hi @Dommy,

Maybe don’t get your hopes up about Katsu Sando. We tried them at Smorgasburg, and it was pretty terrible. :frowning: Thread about it here.

2 Likes

Oh! I had them too and actually liked them. The Sando is not my favorite format (To be honest, I thought Kombi was kinda Meh) but I liked the katsu portion, it has a REALLY nice thick crusty and their housemade katsu sauce is much better than other stuff out there. Their B&M is expanding their menu which is why it caught my attention. We shall see… I have yet to get act together to head over to Otono :rofl:

1 Like

Just want to say that I trust this thread and report about Champion’s Curry so much more than all of the food media people gushing about the new Little Tokyo location…

3 Likes

Just out of curiosity–do people in Japan usually eat katsu with curry, or is that just a restaurant thing here? A Japanese friend in college introduced me to the curry bricks you can get at the grocery store, so I’ve been making curry with those all these years. Just with rice and the meats cooked in the curry, nothing fried.

In Japanese Cuisine, it’s considered a Western Dish… Yoshoku… but it’s also perhaps the most popular dish in Japan (We watch Lunch On and the amount of curry you see on that show is quite a bit). Katsu Curry is very popular variation on the dish, which is why, for a homey dish that is very easy to make… there are so many Curry Restaurants (Some of which have come here like Coco and Champion) because Katsu is best made in a restaurant setting… But yes, at home, the most common curry is perhaps an easy type with thin slices of pork (You can actually buy a cup of this at Tokyo Central, which is delicious!) or just curry rice. Similar to how one of the the most common curries made at home in India is Keema Curry.

3 Likes

Yes it’s a thing in Japan. Just check on Tabelog Japan and you’ll find almost 24,000 restaurants that sell Katsu Curry (and those are only the ones registered there).

2 Likes

Good article about Japanese curry and it’s navy connection.

5 Likes

curry is much more diverse in Japan, but curry + katsu is pretty common there

2 Likes

Midoh maybe a required visit this weekend. Thanks, @Chowseeker1999!

2 Likes

Hi @attran99,

Hope you like it. :slight_smile: (You can bang x bang with Cindy’s Kitchen!) :wink: Although if you’re getting Tonkatsu, make sure you uncover the fried cutlets so it doesn’t steam.

1 Like

YAY!! Glad to see the Foo Foo Tei is still delivering it! OMG. It’s been at least two years since I last visit, bit it’s the place that made me fall in love with curry! For completely curry gluttony… I recommend The omelet curry rice. The omete is not as lucious as the ones in Youtube… but still expertly prepared. It’s so delicious… heavy… but worth the effort to try for curry and omurice fiends.

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/foo-foo-tei-hacienda-heights?select=xjtnSw4sI5HL8o-dmBHwoQ

Thanks for the report on Midoh! It’s been on my list and now I’m even more excited to try it! They just opened one up in Sawtelle… as I haven’t been headed east as of late…

9 Likes

36 posts were split to a new topic: Epic Japanese curry digression

Bless you… B/c I am NEVER anywhere near Midoh, but the pics look FANTASTIC.

@Chowseeker1999 next time at Midoh try the hamburg steak. That is one of their specialties. Midoh is a gem.

If you are deep in the OC keep Yoko on Beach Blvd on your list. They are a Korean-Japanese place focusing on tonkatsu and soba/udon. That’s basically the whole menu. They bring out the sesame seeds for you to pound out as well.

6 Likes

I been going to/know of Diamond Plaza for years and never thought once to go there! It’s just when I am thinking of Japanese food I am thinking of South Bay, Sawtelle, Little Tokyo, Ventura Blvd, Costa Mesa/Tustin

2 Likes