A Lighter Hakata Ramen Arrives on the Westside - Japan's Famous Ippudo Ramen (Santa Monica) [Thoughts + Pics]

Hi @skramzlife,

Thanks for the report back. That’s good to know what the state of their ramen is like these days (we haven’t bothered going back after our initial visits last year). From what it sounds like for the chashu and noodles, that’s really unfortunate and bad. :frowning: We were already not thrilled that the chashu we had (during their grand opening no less) was not stellar and not fresh. We loved the shoyu broth though.

Thanks for the reminder on Iki. :slight_smile:

They’re putting one up in West Holly too by the Gelsons (my old street)

I learned to order beer with ramen from watching Samurai Gourmet. I like it!

3 Likes

Ippudo in Santa Monica was so mediocre not looking forward to the West Hollywood one

1 Like

i’m going to the grand opening today in weho will report back…

3 Likes

Great go so I don’t have to and let us all know, lol! It was open last night, maybe a soft opening?

So I went and I got the akamaru modern with firm noodles. It was very good At All! maybe I just don’t like Mayu (burnt garlic taste ramen) but this bowl was not good. Charsiu was forgettable also… thing and tough. Big news is that they have decent ajitama now! Haha. I eat 3-4 bowls of ramen a week in La (and travelled to Tokyo and Osaka twice in the last year to eat ramen) so I think I have a decent pallets for ramen. IMO best in LA rn is daikokuya, tsujita annex and iki ramen.

They gave the first customers a free ramen coupon so I’m going to go back and try their regular tonkotsu… but my hopes aren’t high. With $17 out the door (1$ tip) for a bowl + ajitama… I can get a much better bowl for $15 down the street daikokuya… just my two cents

On other ramen news… Legendary Tokyo ramenya Itto is opening in little tokyo soon and Michelin ramen Tsuta in San Francisco in September.

4 Likes

Thanks for the report back @skramzlife. Sounds like this new WeHo branch isn’t any better than the Santa Monica branch.

If you’re going back, maybe try their Shoyu Ramen instead which we thought was the best offering at the Santa Monica branch (unless you’re craving the Tonkotsu style). Thanks for saving us some time and money. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love the shoyu bonito ramen, and I think the noodles are excellent.

1 Like

Did we know that the owners of Panda Express owned Ippudo?

1 Like

Thanks @WesSabi I had no clue.

1 Like

Curry House is now owned by the people that own Hometown Buffet

The Cherngs are salt-of-the-earth people.

3 Likes

@J_L not surprised since they both went to school in the Midwest. They have good taste in food. Maybe they’ll open up Ippudo next to Panda. Orange chicken, pork buns and ramen. Yum.
Wisconsin - 34
Oregon - 30

Sorry for the thread drift.