A Master Class in Exquisite, Wonderful Sushi - Mori Sushi [Thoughts + Pics]

Wow! I’ve woken up to read such a thoughtful post!! Thank you for offering me so much knowledge.

I will research your post more when I’ve got some down time at work and condense my thoughts. I will definitely ask the sommelier for their thoughts as well!

And yes this is one dinner I really want to remember for a number of reasons. If the mood is appropriate I will take pictures but I will definitely report back!

Hi @butteredwaffles,

Sounds like you’re getting a wonderful Christmas present via your company. :slight_smile: Yes, Maru-san is the owner. We’ve seen him get gifts from other diners before (a bottle of some type of spirit).

If you were hoping for some Sake with effervescence the only recent ones we’ve tried that had that were the really fun, wild, wonderful-tasting Muroka Nama Genshu releases such as the Shichida Spring Limited Edition release.

Also the Kaze no Mori Junmai Muroka Nama Genshu (Nara, Japan) was also a surprising Winter time effervescent release. However, note that both of these might be too overpowering for Maru-san’s sushi. They are fantastic drinking on their own, or with some Izakaya dishes IMHO.

But I defer to our Sake sensei, @beefnoguy’s thoughful posts, he has you covered! :slight_smile:

Hope you have a good meal and please report back.

1 Like

Hi @Chowseeker1999

Yes I am so excited and have been trying to explain to my coworkers how crazy of an experience we are about to be gifted!! Which is why I would like to pay that generosity forward to Maru-san and his team. Glad to know other diners bring gifts as well.

I like that you call the Muroka Nama Genshu releases wild! That’s one of my favorite descriptors and one I save for truly special bottles of sake, wine, beer… I know it when I taste it.

I have much research to do in the next few days. And I will definitely report back.

Thank you for responding to me @Chowseeker1999. That really means a lot to me. I’ve read through this thread multiple times! Even before I knew I’d be dining here. I learn so much about food through your pictorial dissertations!!

1 Like

Hi @butteredwaffles,

No, no, I’m sorry I didn’t reply sooner, just been busy with the holidays. :slight_smile: And I think all of our FTC’ers on this board are probably more knowledgeable than I am, you are too kind. I learn so much from everyone, which is what makes FTC such a great place to hang.

Looking forward to your visit!

1 Like

I owe y’all a proper photo essay sometime soon. I left my phone in the car to keep myself focused on the social & work aspect of the dinner. Plus I wound up sitting next to the president and knew the night would be everyone trading stories and a lot of listening.

But I will return soon to enjoy a meal by myself and properly update this thread. Seriously that meal was

a subtle symphony.

Smoked toro, wild caught barracuda, scallop, Santa Barbara uni handroll and candied chestnuts cooked down in coffee (?) were my favorite bites. The chestnuts tasted and ate like chocolate truffles.

Only one coworker and I drank. We shared a mess of beers. Sucks because I was ready to order sake and had been figuring out how to ask the right questions. The head doesn’t drink anymore but doesn’t care what we do but no one else drank. He and I even talked about sake and wine while waiting for everyone to show up.

But the dinner was so much fun. And you can tell everyone who works at Mori wants to be there.

@beefnoguy and @Chowseeker1999 I really appreciate your responses. You inspired me to dive deeper into sake and I will take this knowledge forward.

9 Likes

Update 3:

It had been too long since our last visit to Mori Sushi and the wonderful Omakase experience with Chef-Owner Masanori “Maru” Nagano. Mori Sushi finally changed out their old sign with a new one featuring just a logo.

A well-deserved Michelin Star in 2019 on display:

Sitting down in front of Maru-san, the relaxing, calm atmosphere, clean, simple place settings help set the mood.

Maru-san was already busy, hard at work prepping some dishes for a few tables in the back. On this evening it was about 90% full (with almost every table taken up and the Sushi Bar).

We were originally going to order @beefnoguy’s recommended Tatsuriki - Yokawa Yoneda Junmai Daiginjo Sake, but besides the baller price tag, Maru-san recommended this other Sake for this evening over the Tatsuriki:

Koshi no Kanbai - Kinmuku “Milky Way” - Junmai Daiginjo Sake (Niigata, Japan):

I love the 2 previous Koshi no Kanbai Sakes that we’ve tried. Maru-san explains that he has a personal affection and attachment to Koshi no Kanbai: It was his first “serious Sake” that he experienced when he was younger, and that’s why he carries the main lineup today.

The Kinmuku (“Milky Way”) is the highest end Koshi no Kanbai that Mori Sushi carries, but it feels very fairly priced considering the taste. The first sip is absolutely stunning:

It’s delicate, lightly fruity with a few interesting layers as you’re sipping. But then it finishes like air: Pure, clean, wow! Absolutely a delight to drink! :heart: :blush: :heart: (@beefnoguy @Sgee @J_L @TheCookie @foodshutterbug and others.)

Housemade Tofu with Karasumi and Mt. Fuji Wasabi:

We start off this evening with Maru-san’s famous Housemade Tofu, so silky and smooth, topped with Housemade Karasumi (Dried Mullet Roe) that Maru-san made(!), giving it a nice, gentle brininess, along with a gentle sweet, spicy finish from Fresh Wasabi Root from Mount Fuji, Japan. :slight_smile:

(Zensai Course) Namadako - Fresh Giant Octopus (Hokkaido, Japan); Aosa - Special Seaweed (Ise, Japan); Wakamomo - Baby Peach; Ko-hi- Kuri - Coffee-Infused Chestnut; Kunsei Hon Maguro - Smoked Tuna (Boston, U.S.A.); Pickled Konjak; Nasu Dengaku - White Miso Glazed Eggplant; Roasted Ginkgo Nut; Uchiwa Ebi - Fan Lobster (Kyushu, Japan):

Maru-san excels at the Zensai Course, celebrating the season. For this evening (it was right before New Year’s), it was clear there were a few bites Maru-san was preparing for his Osechi Ryori (New Year’s Dishes), as they reminded me of the amazing Japanese New Year’s dishes he prepared for us last year. :slight_smile:

Every bite was a delight. The details here can be easily lost, but pay attention to the introduction and savor each bite for maximum enjoyment. The Aosa (Special Seaweed) from Ise, Japan had a beautiful texture and delicate bite I hadn’t had before.

The Wakamomo (Baby Peach), wonderful! :blush: Same for the Coffee-Infused Japanese Chestnut which is most likely what will be on the Osechi Ryori (New Year’s) Omakase, unique, standout and brilliant.

I loved the Kunsei Hon Maguro (Smoked Bluefin Tuna) with a gentle smokiness pervading each bite.

The Steamed Abalone: Outstanding! :heart:

But the highlight might very well be the Uchiwa Ebi - Fan Lobster (Kyushu, Japan):

I haven’t had Uchiwa Ebi before, and it was fantastic! Tender, meaty morsels, inbetween Spot Prawns and a more delicate Lobster, and look at the Fan Lobster Roe! :open_mouth: :heart: :blush: SO GOOD! (@PorkyBelly @J_L @Sgee @A5KOBE @beefnoguy and others!)

(Owan Course) Renkon Manju - Housemade Lotus Root “Confection” + Uni (Santa Barbara, U.S.A.):

Usually when you hear the word “Manju” you might think of the light, steamed Japanese sweet filled with something like Azuki Red Beans. In this Owan Course, Maru-san makes his own “Manju” out of Lotus Root(!), pounded and pulverized so that it becomes this amazing earthy, tender sphere, topped with stunningly fresh Uni (Sea Urchin) that was flawless (zero bad oceanic aftertaste). The Housemade Dashi Broth was the perfect complement, so clean and pure. :heart:

Time for Sushi!

Tai no Kobujime - Wild Snapper Wrapped in Konbu (Kyushu, Japan):

A great start to the progression, the Tai being lightly meaty, clean, delicate. I noticed the Rice being particular amazing and we mentioned it to Maru-san.

It turns out Maru-san has changed the legendary Rice at Mori Sushi! He (and his predecessor, Morihiro Onodera) had already been getting a special grain of Rice sent to the restaurant from a particular farm, but now Maru-san has been working with a farm in Japan to get Sasa Nishiki Rice, a special grain that he mentions certain outstanding Sushi-yas in Japan also use. :open_mouth: Maru-san mentions that this particular type of Rice was used long ago, but not so much nowadays.

Suffice to say the Rice blows away every single Sushi Bar in L.A. / O.C. It’s not even close. Outstanding! :heart: (@beefnoguy @PorkyBelly)

Hotate - Scallop (Hokkaido, Japan):

Silky, tender, so bright and fresh. :heart:

Mizudako - Giant Octopus (Hokkaido, Japan):

While slippery and tender, it was pretty chewy.

Hata - Grouper (Mie, Japan):

Shima Aji - Striped Jack (Ehime, Japan):

Stunning! We’ve had plenty of excellent Shima Aji around the city, but Maru-san’s preparation for Shima Aji on this visit was like nothing we’ve had before: The Striped Jack was firm, meaty, but having a gentle lusciousness and tenderness as well. :heart:

Tasmanian Ocean Trout:

Maru-san finishes this flawless Tasmanian Ocean Trout with his Housemade Smoked Soy Sauce, giving each luscious bite a perfect complement. :heart:

Buri - Mature Yellowtail (Toyama, Japan):

What a great season for Buri right now: Creamy, tender, full of flavor, lightly fatty. :blush: :heart:

Saba - Mackerel (Kyushu, Japan):

The Saba was perhaps the only miss of the evening, not really bad, but just lacking that amazing deep oily brininess that great Saba has.

Suma Katsuo - Black Skipjack (Aomori, Japan):

This was a new offering we’ve never had before: Suma Katsuo, which Maru-san calls “Black Skipjack” is one of his favorite Fish of the season right now. Taking a bite, you can see why: Tender, flavorful, beautiful mouthfeel. :blush:

Hon Maguro - Bluefin Tuna (Boston, U.S.A.):

Vibrant, clean, so good.

Oba Iwashi - Sardine (Chiba, Japan):

Maru-san has consistently presented stunning expressions of Iwashi (Sardine) Sushi on previous visits, but for this meal, he is beaming with delight as he’s presenting this next piece:

Oba Iwashi is a rarer, special type of Sardine according to Maru-san. He says it’s the height of the season, the best Iwashi he’s had this year. We’ve never seen him smile so broadly. Then I take a bite:

Ridiculous.

It tastes like the most beautiful day you could imagine coasting out on the ocean, there’s an inherent delicate sweetness along with that absolutely stunning briny kiss, and then you’re hit with lusciousness. It’s controlled fatty decadence. And it is the best Iwashi Sushi I’ve ever had in my life! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

The Best Bite of the Year (2019)! (@PorkyBelly @J_L @beefnoguy @Sgee @CiaoBob @A5KOBE @TheCookie @paranoidgarliclover and others) :blush:

Ohtoro - Fattiest Tuna Belly (Boston, U.S.A.):

How incredible was the Special Sardine we just had? It made the Ohtoro taste mundane by comparison. As in, it was super fatty (I had one small piece of gristle), buttery, and good, but after that Iwashi?

Meh. :expressionless:

OK, it was good, but the Iwashi was so much more interesting, complex and had amazing fattiness that wasn’t just pure fat like in the Ohtoro. It was just outclassed. :slight_smile:

Kohada - Gizzard Shad (Kyushu, Japan):

Meatier than the Oba Iwashi, with a nice brininess.

Hagatsuo - Striped Bonito (Kyushu, Japan):

Outstanding. Tender, nice oiliness, we liked it more than the Kohada (and Kohada is one of my favorites). :heart:

Kamasu - Barracuda (Nagasaki, Japan):

Another outstanding expression this evening: One of the best Kamasu we’ve had all year, with a delicate smokiness. :heart:

And throughout every piece of Sushi this evening, Maru-san’s new Rice is so good and makes such a great pairing! :blush:

Echizen Gani - Snow Crab (Niigata, Japan):

While Zuwaigani (Snow Crab) is already a treat when you can get it, Maru-san mentions that for this evening he got in a special type of Snow Crab from Japan called Echizen Gani. Beautifully sweet (inherently), supple, delicate. One of the highlights of the meal! :heart:

Uni - Sea Urchin (Santa Barbara, U.S.A.):

Flawless. 100% perfect. No bad oceanic aftertaste. Probably the best Uni we’ve had all year. :heart:

Kinmedai - Golden Eye Snapper (Chiba, Japan):

Kuruma Ebi - Japanese Tiger Prawn (Kawashima, Japan):

Very good, nice meatiness and delicate sweetness. Zero fishiness.

Sujiko - Fresh Salmon Roe (Hokkaido, Japan):

Different from the more commonly found Ikura at our local Sushi-ya, tonight’s Sujiko (Fresh Salmon Roe) had a more gentle, less salty taste with a nice brininess. :slight_smile:

Anago - Sea Eel (Tsushima, Japan):

Lightly sweet, flaky, tender. Tasty.

Bafun Uni + Tsukune Imo + Shiso Temaki - Bafun Uni (Hokkaido, Japan), Mountain Yam, Shiso Leaf Handroll:

Incredible! The Santa Barbara Uni this evening was already flawless, but this Bafun Uni from Hokkaido, Japan was somehow even better. Add to that a special type of Mountain Yam that Maru-san was using (Tsukune Imo), and the ultra-crisped, crunchy Nori (Seaweed) wrapper from Saga, Japan.

SO GOOD! :heart: :blush: :heart:

Bonus Round…

Pickled Oba Iwashi - Pickled Sardine (Chiba, Japan):

Maru-san was so impressed with the Oba Iwashi he wanted to try a 2nd preparation and had been doing a Pickled Sardine version. While nowhere near as stunning as the fresh version, it was still excellent: The pickling seems to have firmed it up slightly, adding a pleasant tartness to the briny fattiness, all paired so well with his new Rice. :heart:

Ume Shiso Temaki - Japanese Plum (Wakayama, Japan) + Shiso Leaf Handroll:

We asked Maru-san to make us his current favorite Temaki, and he smiled before disappearing. He reappeared with a container he was holding delicately: In it he had special Ume (Japanese Plum) that he hand-carried from Wakayama, Japan(!). He said he fell in love with this local Wakayama Ume, and usually eats it for himself. :slight_smile:

Taking a bite:

Wow. This Wakayama Ume is nothing like the usual Ume flavor we get at various local shops around here. It’s far more aromatic, fragrant, as if they had incorporated the Plum Blossom Flowers into the mixture. It’s inherently sweet, barely tart, luscious and amazing! :heart:

When eaten with the Shiso Leaf, Maru-san’s new Rice and that special Nori (Seaweed) wrapper from Saga, Japan that would make all Onigiri lovers (@Dommy @TheCookie and others) weep with joy, you have one of the best bites of the year (again)! :heart:

Akadashi - Hatcho Miso Soup (Aichi, Japan):

We finish up with a special Akadashi Soup, made with Hatcho Miso. Our server mentions that this recipe for making it follows a tradition that dates back 700 years(!). It is bolder, more deeply flavorful than the usual Miso Soup. Very good. :slight_smile:

Mochi Zenzai + Persimmons with Persimmon Sauce:

Dessert was a simple, but very well made bowl of Mochi Zenzai, a Japanese sweet dessert with Red Beans. Here Maru-san mixes in a special Matcha from the Mount Fuji region of Japan.

The Persimmons were perfectly ripe, and the concentrated Persimmon Sauce (more like a Persimmon Jam or Paste) was a great, not overly sweet way to finish off the evening. :slight_smile:

Perhaps the one hiccup tonight was the slow service for the first half of the meal. We noticed 1 new server, who looked a bit unsure and not very proactive for any of the tables or any of us at the Sushi counter. And with the restaurant nearly at 100% capacity, our Tea nor Sake weren’t refilled unless we asked. Towards the latter half (as many of the tables and other Sushi counter guests left), service got a lot better.

Mori Sushi continues to shine as our favorite Sushi restaurant in L.A. Under the watchful eye of Chef-Owner Masanori “Maru” Nagano, stunning seasonal opening plates and presentation, outstanding Sushi that reflects the best of the season, and with the best Sushi Rice in town Mori Sushi continues to be one of L.A.'s treasures.

Mori Sushi
11500 W Pico Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90064
Tel: (310) 479-3939

http://morisushila.com/

17 Likes

Great report @Chowseeker1999 and amazing pictures!!!

2 Likes

Thanks so much for this updated report!

May I ask how much was this grand omakase as is without add on’s? Is it $300 now or below?

I used to love Koshi No Kanbai, and went through maybe upwards of five to six bottles of Kinmuku at one point. I just don’t feel it’s as complex these days due to completely changed preferences on my part, although KNK is still a very well respected old time brand from Niigata sake and may even have mastered the 70s classic Tanrei Karakuchi Niigata ginjo / daiginjo profile (flavor in the mouth, razor quick clean finish). Strangely KNK did a rebranding of some of their sake about a year+ ago, their 50% polish “Muku” Junmai Ginjo is now labeled as a Junmai Daiginjo, still cheaper than Kinmuku.

Tatsuriki Yokawa Yoneda, while even more expensive, is far more complex, especially in a white wine glass.

Next time you can try Toko Ultraluxe Junmai Daiginjo and Toko Junmai Ginjo, I assume these are now staples on their sake menu. The Toko JG has killer QPR.

2 Likes

Thanks @A5KOBE. Hope you get a chance to try some of the Winter offerings. :wink:

Hi @beefnoguy,

Thanks! :slight_smile: The premium omakase is “between $200 - $300” according to our server, depending on what’s in season / what they have in that night, and possible additional courses. Ours was roughly $250 per person.

Koshi no Kanbai - I agree. Thinking on the Tatsuriki Nihon no Sakura Junmai Daiginjo (still amazing), or the Tedorigawa Mangekyo “Kaleidoscope” that you recommended (amazing!) and many others, they do feel like far more complex layers, but that isn’t to say the Kinmuku (Milky Way) was “bad” at all. I loved it for its razor sharp finish as you said, and it was cheaper than the Toko Ultraluxe Junmai Daiginjo ($200 vs. $250).

I wanted to try either of the Tokos based on what you said, and the Tatsuriki Yokawa Yoneda, but trusted Maru-san with the recommendation on this evening. Next time for sure! :slight_smile:

I hope you get to try Maru-san’s Oba Iwashi Sushi. It was stunning.

1 Like

a steal!

1 Like

I love your bonus round…sardine and ume-shiso! So basically all of the flavor notes in 2 bites.

I only had sardine at Shin Sushi, which I thought was the best piece!

Also of note I believe JL mentioned that Shunji makes his own ume, so I imagine Shunji also has an incredible ume shiso maki.

1 Like

@Chowseeker1999 looks spectacular! Will need to revisit them on my next trip back to LA,.

3 Likes

Yep, those pieces are seriously “Stunning!”

1 Like

Hi @JeetKuneBao,

I think you’d love Maru-san’s Iwashi if you get a chance to visit. Last year’s Iwashi was one of the all-time best we had ever tried, and this meal’s Oba Iwashi was even better! :blush:

Thanks for the tip that Shunji-san makes his own Ume as well; I’ll have to go back and try that next time. :slight_smile:

Hi @TheCookie,

I’m eagerly awaiting your visit one of these days. I think you’d like it. :wink: That and Shunji dinner omakase as well! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Me too @Chowseeker1999. February is My month! It’s My Birthday, My Anniversary, My Valentine’s Day. It’s all about Me! :grin: I usually get at least one swanky dinner. I’m trying to decide and Mori Sushi is definitely on the list. It won’t be the $250 pp version but I’m sure we can still have some very nice selections. :wink:

4 Likes

I believe their non-premium nigiri omakase with 15 piece + soup + dessert is $150. I think you still get otoro and uni…

4 Likes

I had dinner last weekend at Mori for the first time after reading @butteredwaffles latest post.
I went with the premium omakase and was extremely disappointed. Initially, I called and requested to sit in front of Maru-San, which was not a problem I was told over the phone… When I got there however, they placed me in the middle of the bar in front of a 22 year old kid from Oregon. Although I don’t care who makes my sushi, it was clear from the beginning that the level of skill and quality of the food was not even close to being on par with what I was seeing Maru-san make for the guests next to me. To add insult to injury, I only received 9 pcs. of nigiri, which didn’t include any cut of tuna or uni.

Price of the Omakase was $350. Did I get ripped off or is this a normal thing?

Something definitely went wrong. Yikes

1 Like