A New Wave - Guerrilla Tacos

I usually spend around $15 to $20 here. Easy.

Plus the cost of an espresso next door so I have somewhere to fucking grub.

And that ain’t no fucking joke.

Well Kevin you ARE a skilled eater :smirk:

Thanks for the info!

Note, the menus have not been appearing on their main website for a while for some reason. Their Facebook page will have the menus posted each day they have service: http://facebook.com/guerrillatacos

3 Likes

If theoffalo’s link doesn’t work for you, try this one:

Also, kevin, just a heads up that I think you can sit in the coffee shop and grub your tacos without buying any coffee. At least, that’s the way it works at Cognoscenti.

I guess one could but it might not be construed as so nice for the business. I feel somewhat guilty but i’m guessing most don’t buy a coffee. but one in the party may purchase a cup of coffee if that’s the case.

1 Like

@kevin I can confirm it’s that way for Blue Bottle Coffee as well (where Guerilla is on Saturday and Sundays). I even checked with the employees and they were fine with it. You can just sit down and eat inside.

Wow, that’s fucking sweet.

Now I’m down with that.

And these days Blue Bottle is the only one I can make it too, on the fucking weekends.

Thank you Offalo!

And a belated thanks to you, Bigmouth : )

I will browse away!

Update 4:

Another visit, more wonderful surprises.

“Duck, Duck Goose” Taco (Duck Breast with Raw Tomatillo Chile, Gooseberries and Herbs):

Tender, succulent Duck Breast, really nicely seasoned. The Gooseberries gave it a nice twist. Only minor quibble was the Duck Skin was soft and chewy. I guess I prefer Duck Skin to be crisped, or rendered down some more.

Spanish Sardines a la Plancha (with Garlic, Shallots, Olive Oil, Chile de Arbol):

Really awesome flavors, garlic and shallots accenting the sardines, but the one downside was that it was served whole, and it was full of bones. It was really hard to eat with a wimpy plastic fork.

Waffle with Market Berries, Whipped Cream, Beurre de Baratte, real Maple Syrup:

Wonderful set of mini-waffles. Love the delicate butter, fresh whipped cream and strawberries. I only wish the Waffles were crisped just a bit more.

Bacon, Potatoes, Mushrooms and Pork Hash:

Just an awesome chef-style “Hash”, with super tender Stewed Pork chunks, Bacon, Potatoes and Mushrooms. But the winner was the Tender Pork chunks with bits of Potatoes!

Kurobota Sausage and Fried Egg Taco (with Chile Morita, Sumac Onions, Furikake):

Just excellent! The Fried Egg is spot-on, with a runny yolk and the Kurobota Sausage has a nice snap to the casing, and a great taste. But what really brings the whole thing together is the Chile Morita, Onions and Furikake. It just melds together and creates something far tastier than the individual parts.

2 Likes

i’ve never gotten out below $30.
i guess i’m a pig.
(and, after spending $30 i’m still hungry)

Update 5:

Started the new year trying some more offerings from Chef Avila. Also, looks like Guerilla Tacos is traveling to more places (new locations below).

Roasted Cauliflower Taco (Chile Morita, Castlevaltrano Olives, Medjool Dates, Parsley, Cashews):

Really a fantastic taco, with a nice balance of flavors. Loved the spicy & savory of the Chile Morita salsa with the Cauliflower and Medjool Dates).

Wild Mushroom and Pork Torta (Hedgehog, Black Trumpet, and Yellow Foot
Mushrooms with Roasted Pork Shoulder, Habanero Chile, Herbs):

It’s silly to think what Chef Avila is capable of cooking and creating inside of a tiny food truck. The Pulled Pork is really tender, juicy, not overly salty, and the trio of mushrooms… so good! :smile:

Guerilla Tacos has changed their schedule and locations they visit, kicking off the new year:

Mondays (10 AM - 2 PM)
Blue Bottle - Arts District
582 Mateo St.
Los Angeles, CA 90013

Wednesdays (10 AM - 2 PM)
Cognoscenti Coffee
6114 Washington Blvd.
Culver City, CA 90232

Thursdays (10 AM - 2 PM)
Blue Bottle - Arts District
582 Mateo St.
Los Angeles, CA 90013

Fridays (10 AM - 2 PM)
Blacktop Coffee
826 E 3rd St.
Los Angeles, CA 90013

Saturday (10 AM - 2 PM)
Blue Bottle - Beverly
8301 Beverly Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90048

Sunday (10 AM - 2 PM)
Blue Bottle - Venice
1103 Abbot Kinney Blvd.
Venice, CA

3 Likes

Guerrilla Tacos looks absolutely fantastic and I wish Chef Wes, only the best!

:hibiscus:

All I can say for all of you living in the jungle . I’m jealous of the food scene . Fuck ; I wish they had this where I live .

I hit up their first regularly scheduled visit to Venice a few weeks ago. As good as ever, not that there was any doubt especially since it’s a food truck and can serve anywhere. Had a Baja-style fish taco and a calamari steak taco. Bumped into chef Nyesha Arrington of Leona there.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BAX-uZ1g-qL/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BAYIKaZg-su/

3 Likes

Crowd report?

Well it was their first week on their extended schedule, so I don’t know how indicative it was, but I got there around 1pm and the line was totally manageable. Got my food in ~15m, maybe a little faster. In general, even at Culver City their turnaround time has improved. Obviously YMMV if you hit them in a rush with a dozen people queuing to order and a dozen people who already ordered waiting for their food.

15 min is warp speed for GT

Thanks @theoffalo. Gorgeous pics as usual! :slightly_smiling:

How did you like the calamari steak taco?

I’m glad they have a Venice location/day now, venturing more west side besides their usual Downtown times.

I thought the calamari steak was excellent. Not earthshattering but very high quality!

1 Like