A not particularly FTC-ish restaurant search

This does look promising. Especially since outdoor dining space earns bonus points.

1 Like

La Cabana. end of search

Casablanca across the street (same owners) is also a good choice, but more “formal” menu.

1 Like

Except for the original being in SF.

2 Likes

Ehh I never saw a rule that said a transplant restaurant couldnt sport a local cities vibe.

If that were the case restauranters wouldn’t open restaurants in different cities.

Toca Madera is your huckleberry (but order slowly or they will have you in and out)
Other choices:

Petty Cash
Tortilla Republic
the new Cantina Frida (on North Beverly, not the old one on South Beverly)

Unbelievably noisy (deafening and I generally dont mind a noisy room), unbelievably cramped seating (not for the claustrophobic), unbelievably dirty outside (bird shit all over the place). None of this is a commentary on the food which is good as is the service. The bar scene is very good with lots of attractive (and young) people. Prices are high and drinks are small.

Respectfully disagree on Toca Madera unless you want to have expensive drinks and “elevated” Mexican food served to you by Hollywood club hostesses. You will likely not get water and chip/salsa refills even if you ask, and you’ll likely not be able to hear each other during your meal since the music is really loud during dinner service. Some friends suggested that place for dinner and it was the most expensive “Mexican” dinner and the least satisfying. But on the flip side, my sister tells me the cast of Vanderpump Rules hangs out there…so if that’s what you’re going for, you could be okay.
I had to hit my local taco truck before coming home.

3 Likes

I get your point on Toca Madera but I was responding to the goal of a fun, scene type place and that is what it is. Its for sure the Hollywood club hostess club vibe. Not a food rec at all.

3 Likes

Understood. I just think that there are less expensive ways to have the same amount of fun at a Mexican joint where the food will be good and the service will be better. It’s not particularly fun for me to spend $20 for a margarita that tastes like the mix you can find at Costco especially when the bar touts itself as being artisan with real/fresh fruit juices.

1 Like

Did not know that. Always? Haven’t been to either in more than a decade. My impression was always (again, it is an old impression) that Casablanca had MUCH better food and, especially, tortillas.

More to follow if I remember but we ended up at Sol Mexican Cocina as the best option with Venice - adjacent location, outdoor seating, and reservation available on Saturday evening. Good tacos (esp for a sit down restaurant in Playa Vista), great grilled corn app. Some service / seating glitches but they made up for it. And then we went back towards home for dessert at Gjusta.