A Taco Journey: Carne Asada, Al Pastor, Pacific Spiny Lobster, and more - Leo's Tacos #2, Tire Shop Tacos, Revolutionario, Ricky's Fish Tacos, Guerrilla, BS Taqueria and more!

duplicate

23 Likes

Why was I not invited?

Whatever I did, I apologize. Twice. Please forgive and forget.

Awesome report all around. Kudos.

4 Likes

Ricky kicking ass. That lobster one looks delish! Great job for u and ur friends

I was @ Ricky’s recently (not this past weekend, but the weekend before) and did not see spiny lobster! I would have loved to try that out. Instead, I got my reg: two shrimp tacos and they were delicious as always.

Too bad about the Leo’s expanded location—I love the og one especially late on a Sat. nite (the tacos and people are great!)

Great taco journey! Thanks for the report.

What an awesome post. I’m starving now.

Amazing write up.!

Maybe this should be the start of a taco sticky?

Thanks Ipse, JJ. :smile:

Thanks @LAgirl. Yah Ricky mentioned that last week he couldn’t get supply, but it was back this weekend, and hopefully a few more before it’s gone.

Thanks @Sgee @thechez5 @Porthos. :slight_smile: I don’t know about a sticky, just reporting back on a fun taco outing we had.

1 Like

Awesome!
Keep on eating, keep on exploring and keep on sharing, chowseeker 1999.
You surely are touching a lot of our taste buds.
Looking forward to your next adventure.

so i guess it’s a hit or miss situation. bummer.

the only thing that would make ricky’s tacos better would be some beer to drink with them. i’ve never seen people brown-bagging beer there, but does anybody know if that’s possible?

(…and no—I’m not taking the tacos to go and ending up w/ a less than stellar crunchy coating just to have a beer @ home)

1 Like

Part 2: One of my friends from our weekend taco run called me to grab a quick lunch at GCM. Figured, why not? Let’s continue our Taco Journey. :wink:

Villa Moreliana
This little taco stand inside Grand Central Market has quickly shot up the ranks to become my favorite Carnitas Taco shop in the city! :smile: Lovely, authentic Michoacan Carnitas, properly cooked. And unlike many places that have just 1 type of “Carnitas,” here they serve 14 (Fourteen!) types of Carnitas.

Pork goodness!

Pierna Carnitas (Slow Cooked Pork Leg (“Ham” on Menu)) Taco:

Lean, but tender. Not too salty. Delish!

Espaldilla Carnitas (Stewed Pork Roast) Taco:

It’s on the leaner side like the Pierna but more juicy.

Buche Carnitas (Stewed Pork Stomach) Taco:

Really tender, a nice, slight chewiness.

Lengua Carnitas (Stewed Pork Tongue) Taco:

A bit more firm than traditional Beef Tongue (Lengua), it’s still tender, but definitely the most substantial of the cuts of meat I tried today. But very good.

Costillas Carnitas (Stewed Pork Ribs) Taco:

Probably my fav of the cuts! Super tender, but with nice crunchy bits from the soft cartilage being stewed down. So good! :heart:

It was sold out today, but their Orejas Carnitas (Stewed Pork Ear) Tacos have been consistently awesome! Soft with a slight crunch.

Simply awesome! My favorite Carnitas in L.A.

Villa Moreliana
(Inside Grand Central Market, Downtown L.A.)
317 South Broadway
Los Angeles, CA 90013
(213) 624-2378

13 Likes

chowseeker is doing some heavy lifting!! nice job!

1 Like

I was told the costillas and the mixta where they chop up the carnitas along with the skin is the way to go.

Looks like this is going to be lunch on Friday. Monkey see monkey do.

1 Like

Reminds me of the reports that I’d used to read when I started lurking back in 2007 or 2008. Really makes my heart (and my stomach) happy to read reports like this!

1 Like

That sounds… amazing! Thanks for the tip LOL! :smile: Can’t wait to hear your thoughts @Porthos.

Here is the OC version:

http://m.yelp.com/biz_photos/carnitas-uruapan-santa-ana?select=0aPMk0KtvOZpxxD0etM5GA

Any good carne asada from this fucking joint ???

This fucking joint is on the Broadway end of the fucking GCM catty corner from where I get me some slurs ???

Thanks man.