A Taco Journey: Carne Asada, Al Pastor, Pacific Spiny Lobster, and more - Leo's Tacos #2, Tire Shop Tacos, Revolutionario, Ricky's Fish Tacos, Guerrilla, BS Taqueria and more!

A word to the wise concerning Moreliana, stick with the tacos. Their burritos have a disproportionate amount of rice and I don’t even mind rice in my burrito.

2 Likes

Yes on the mixta.

@LAgirl, I think it’s probably illegal. Found one article in the LA Times talking about this:

As Ron Burgundy said, tasteful discretion is the name of the game

I suppose—it just takes a little advance planning vs a spontaneous taco run. I haven’t been to Yuca’s in a very long time (up the street from Ricky’s), but most people brown bag it there, including myself (but then again, they are in the liquor store’s parking lot).

Personally, and if you’re doing any advance planning anyways, I feel that the blue/red opaque “go cups” work best

Great report. As far as the off-tasting al pastor at Leo’s goes it looks from the picture like you hit it too early in the night.

You never want the first meat off the trompo. Another reason among many to save the tacos for after you’ve been drinking.

1 Like

Great report, thanks for sharing!

Couple notes…It definitely must have been an off night at Leo’s #2 cause I’ve eaten there over a dozen times and it’s usually just as good as Leo’s #1.

And Ricky’s fish tacos…for the love of all things that is good, please use some crema sauce on those tacos. It’s just not a fish taco without it.

1 Like

tbu, i got chowseeker’s back here – mayo in all its incarnations niche niche! more for you!

there is 0% mayo in crema sauce

… some places sour cream-esque only … many places including Ricky’s has mayo

My favorite tacos there is cueritos mixed with pierna. Or cueritos mixed with anything. lol

Damn now I’m hungry.

@mrgreenbeenz @tailbacku,

Thanks for the tips / feedback. Yah we hit Leo’s #2 early and it was my first time. I’d be willing to give it another shot, and not the “first batch” of al pastor off the spit then.

Re: Crema LOL, yah I like it pure. Love the pure taste of Ricky’s clean fried fish. :wink:

Thanks @JAB.

I love the taco form more than burritos, so the thought never crossed my mind. Thanks for the warning.

1 Like

When I was there a couple wknds ago, there was no “white” sauce on the tacos and I remember thinking to myself “didn’t they used to have sauce or a sauce and condiment selection to top the tacos with”? I thought he used to have some before he scaled up to the truck.

It’s in the squeeze containers in the fridgerated section along with the other salsas.

2 Likes

that’s what I thought (glad I haven’t completely lost my mind), but he didn’t have that set up this last time.

That batter definitely contains a crack like substance.

1 Like

Definitely in the future ask the people behind the glass - I’ve seen them get completely overwhelmed/in the woods and totally lose track of the salsas. It’s almost as if they expect the customer to call them out to refill their shit.

1 Like

will do, cuz it could use a little. thanks!