A Taco Journey: Carne Asada, Al Pastor, Pacific Spiny Lobster, and more - Leo's Tacos #2, Tire Shop Tacos, Revolutionario, Ricky's Fish Tacos, Guerrilla, BS Taqueria and more!

lesson learned :grin:

1 Like

Glad you made it out, still the best tacos in LA. The Taco Arabes is a more recent addition. Don’t sleep on the chorizo too.

3 Likes

Tire Shop is probably still the best, but I’ve been going to El Viejon in East LA more often for my Tijuana-style fix lately (it’s closer, and less crowded, and I can pair it with a visit to Barbara’s at the Brewery on my way home).

They’re working in the now-standard TJ style, making their own tortillas, grilling Asada, chorizo, pollo really close to the mesquite charcoal so it gets nice and smoky. The asada is very good (better than other East LA options IMO) but last time I was there the chorizo was truly incredible. And they’re a super nice family to boot. I’m a bad and self-conscious food photographer but:

8 Likes

I went to poblanos the other day for the first time and tire shop is WAY better imo… no comparison.

Tire shop reigns supreme…

Also I went to tacos 1986 the other night after being let down the past couple times and they delivered…, the abodaba is still very very good. Don’t count them out.

2 Likes

Went back to El Pastorcito again tonight. So so good.

For fans of Tire Shop Taco… I give you … Tire Shop Taco AM!

Located just outside the parking lot of the Smart & Final (1216 Compton Ave), they apparently operate daily between 6am to 3pm. Everything is the same right down to the tortilla press, albeit about 1/2 the size of the night time operation.

I strolled down the end of the street to check out this busier taco stand El Compita. Looks like they specialize in hard shell taco dorados & revocaldos (?), at least that’s what most people seemed to be ordering.

11 Likes

Of course, the day we’re in Whittier Carlos’s Tijuana Tacos is closed. You know when you don’t eat something very much so you want it to be the best when you do? Then circumstances (like hunger) force you to accept something inferior? Well, that happened today. I had the driest, chewiest, blandest Carne Asada Taco at La Victoria today. I guess the Chicharron is the thing to get there (I had a bomb one a couple of years ago) but even that looked tired so we passed. It was slow and they were getting ready to close soon so maybe that’s the case but A said it’s a “gone downhill” situation. I would just scrap everything and close early rather than give a customer something so bad. I try to find a highlight and don’t like to slam a place, but this warrants the slam. So upset. I feel like I’ll have this awful meat in my digestive system for months.

Been wanting to check this place out! I feel like getting in my car and going there or Tire Shop to erase the bad experience of La Victoria from my mind and palate.

Sooo… Aside from the current Carlos’s craze what are people’s go to spots in the Whittier area? Calling @attran99 & @js76wisco.

2 Likes

Hi @TheCookie, Bizarra Capital is great! Just tried them the first time a few weeks ago and had a great meal all around. Been meaning to do a weekend update post on them (and several others) but haven’t been able to get around to it.

Anyway, everything was packed with flavor and really well made! Some folks on the board have recommended the octopus plate, so I had to get that and really enjoyed it too. Loved the calabicitas side dish and homemade chorizo taco too.

Their guacamole is made to order and nice and fresh but at least when we went, it felt like it needed an extra punch. Luckily, their house salsa (which they give you w/ chips) is great!

12706 Philadelphia St. Whittier, CA 90601

5 Likes

I usually hit the truck close to my house, Jose’s on Leffingwell. Not hand made tortillas, but they make excellent cabeza and their fish or shrimp tacos are a great deal at $1.75. They say they’re famous for their shrimp burrito, but I only go for that when I am super hungry.
Up towards the Carlos area is Tacos Los Carnales. Hand made tortillas and a proper trompo for their al pastor. I always get al pastor but have enjoyed the asada and cabeza. I’m a fan of their pineapple agua fresca and salsa bar which includes their beans. I come up this way when I feel like making the drive uptown.
@glazedonut is right about Bizarra Capital. It’s one of the best places in Whittier. Solid meals all the time. Colonia Publica makes great fideo. For oysters, Crooked Gaff Kitchen tries to supply an interesting selection (but nothing like Connie & Ted’s)…the crab esquite, Puerto Nuevo-style lobster, pork belly tacos, and their fried broccoli are some of my go-tos.

4 Likes

Thanks @attran99 & @glazedonut!

• Bizarra Capital (pretty much everything?)
  • Jose’s on Leffingwell (head, fish & shrimp tacos/burritos)
  • Tacos Los Carnales (near Carlos, tortillas, pastor, pineapple agua fresca)
  • Colonia Publica (fideo)
  • Crooked Gaff Kitchen (oysters, crab esquite, puerto nuevo-style lobster, pork belly tacos & fried broccoli)
  • Did I miss anything?

This is great. I haven’t been to any of them. I’ve heard of BC & CP. Didn’t they have another restaurant on Whittier Blvd that closed quickly? Anyway! Thanks.

3 Likes

Tire shop > poblano by a mile imo

I think you’re referring to Colonia Tacos. It was on the western side of the 605 in Pico Rivera. That’s out of the way for me so I never got to try it…but you’re right. Same chef as Bizarra and Colonia.
Uptown Whittier is a popular place on weekends. Lots of restaurants and small clubs…I’m guessing to supply the students at nearby Whittier College.

1 Like

Tried to go to tire shop on Sunday night line was around the entrance and into the sidewalk longest I’ve ever seen.

Sorry I don’t get out too much in Whittier but if you’re ever on the other side of the 57 our favorite tacos in Brea are La Puerta on Birch and Kraemer.

They make their own tortillas. We love the roasted green salsa. The meats vary from good to great. They do not have their own trompo. My favorite tacos are chicarron, carnitas and the chicken. Very nice owners. They recently expanded to the space next door. A lot of people come in for the menudo and pozole on the weekends but we generally stick to tacos.

4 Likes

Hi @TheCookie,

Yah, they used to have Colonia Tacos Guisados (and prior to that Colonia Taco Lounge), both of which closed down. Unfortunately they weren’t that good, but showed potential. I posted about it earlier here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

They do a great posole, too.

Taquizas Gilberto needs to be on your to do list!

https://www.instagram.com/taquizasgilberto/

Birria. Barbacoa. Consomme.

Get there early or you will be out of luck

4 Likes

Thanks @JeetKuneBao. :slight_smile: Although when I looked at their pics, I see that it’s Birria de Res, boo! :stuck_out_tongue: I wish it was Birria de Chivo, but I’ll still gladly check it out. Thanks!

I think you’ll enjoy the Dynamite Sticks (lamb barbacoa). I know La Puente is far as hell for you and on a weekend morning. It’s pretty unique I don’t think anyone else is doing it.

1 Like

Whattttt :crazy_face:. Terminal 4 LAX ‘residency’

5 Likes