A Taco Journey: Carne Asada, Al Pastor, Pacific Spiny Lobster, and more - Leo's Tacos #2, Tire Shop Tacos, Revolutionario, Ricky's Fish Tacos, Guerrilla, BS Taqueria and more!

RFT has been slanging these for the past week; someone should go, for research.

Oh, gawd, I kinda/sorta have time for this today, but there’s a part of me that thinks I’d rather just have it at Coni Seafood…

4 Likes

Hi @paranoidgarliclover,

If you have time to drive out there, there are better alternatives:

Howlin’ Ray’s :slight_smile:
Holbox
Villa Moreliana - Try their 10 different Carnitas.
Bulgarini - Try Leo’s amazing Pastas and Gelato. :slight_smile:
and much more. :wink:

I was actually totally thinking this. Is there an app or something that tells me how long the wait is? B/c I need to back on the westside by, like, 3:30PM, at the latest.

Edit:
It ain’t gonna work:
https://twitter.com/howlinrays/status/1111694635548594176

Curious to hear what you think about 1986 - I am on record as not liking it (except the mushrooms), but I realize I’m in the minority.

I do like Teddy’s Red Tacos, though I’d probably put them 3rd or 4th in my personal Tijuana Birria rankings. What places do you prefer?

Hi @Srsly,

Yes! So you had their original Baja Lobster Tacos as well a few years back? It was very good back then. This new fake Lobster is terrible; truly a completely different, bad creation. We were so shocked (because a few of us had that rare, seasonal version a few years back and were excited to see him list Lobster Tacos back on the menu on the day of our visit).

2 Likes

Hi @Chowseeker1999 -

Excellent report. You had some great Carne Asada Tacos.

Too bad about Ricky’s. Maybe the business isn’t succeeding for whatever reason and they’re cutting corners. Anyway, that ship has sailed for me. :frowning_face:

Really glad Tacos 1986 toned down the salt on the Shroom Taco & Vampiro. The shrooms are cooked perfectly but they were a salt lick. Just no on the chewy gristle meat. No! I’m not known for liking it, period, but when you - who loves tendon and chewy bits - talk about how bad the gristle is? Ugh, no! It’s a bummer because I like their menu and I like crispy shells. But I doubt I’ll eat there again… or Smorgasburg until it dies down.

:taco:

1 Like

Hi @TheCookie,

Thank you. :slight_smile: Yah, we were very sad about Ricky’s, but seeing little signals… like him moving further and further away to more remote locations (where his truck might not be “noticed” / evicted(?) - he’s now under an overpass), along with not bothering to put out any welcoming seating (I know most trucks don’t, but when he was on top of his game, they had actual wooden tables at a previous location), and ultimately cutting corners like what we got? Yah it feels like he’s just coasting on his previous fame / accolades and trying to collect as much money as possible (w/ less effort). :frowning:

Wow, I must’ve missed it when you said the Mushrooms also were a salt lick! I’m glad the couple times we went they were OK. The Carne Asada was terrible though and very salty as you experienced as well. :frowning:

If you’re in the mood for deep, smoky, delicious Carne Asada Tacos give Tire Shop Taqueria or Tacos Los Poblanos a try if you’re in that area. Otherwise, here’s to hoping a closer, quality taquero moves in to the area. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Definitely!

1 Like

Great pics of Carnitas El Momo’s OG location from Eater. On my first visit many years ago, I was like OMG can’t believe something this rustic exists in LA. Hardcore streetfood! No hipsters in sight within a 5 mile radius :laughing:

Carnitas El Momo
2411 Fairmount St, Los Angeles, CA 90033

2 Likes

Still my go-to

1 Like

That’s a great piece by Eater. Highlighting places that many would never know, hear about, or experience, including myself. I want to try them all.

2 Likes

Very respectable list from Eater published today

given the demographics, you’d think that maybe one of the 38 would be found in the SFV.

1 Like

And only one in Orange County? C’mon people. Maybe venture into Santa Ana.

Not surprised. Even the local OC Register barely ventures into Santa Ana. Based on theOC Register best 75 restaurant list you’d think Newport/CDM/Laguna is the epicenter of food in the OC.

3 Likes

Agreed. Brad Johnson has been doing a little better with his Taco Tuesday feature, but still.

Ha! It’s like what JGold said about Michelin only going a few miles away from BH a decade ago…but the OC version.

2 Likes

Crushed 5 asada tacos at tire shop last night… first time there insanely good, definitely In top 3 tacos for LA imo.

7 Likes

Love Tire Shop Taqueria! Glad you liked it. :slight_smile:

1 Like