A Taco Journey: Carne Asada, Al Pastor, Pacific Spiny Lobster, and more - Leo's Tacos #2, Tire Shop Tacos, Revolutionario, Ricky's Fish Tacos, Guerrilla, BS Taqueria and more!

There’s usually a short line every time I’ve been but it takes a while to get through because there’s only one guy making all the food.

1 Like

LOL no, it was spread across a week! I’d have to load up on medicine to pull that off!

1 Like

Can’t say this has ever happened to me.

1 Like

Any comments on Burritos la Palma’s Santa Ana vs El Monte locations?

I had no idea they had an SA location, thanks for the heads up.

6pm close vs 7pm close :cry:

I’ve never been to the El Monte location. But I can say the Santa Ana location is extraordinarily good. My husband insists on stopping by when we are in the neighborhood.

2 Likes

these Yelp hours for TST can’t be correct…can they?

Mon 8:30 am - 7:30 pm Open now
Tue 8:30 am - 7:30 pm
Wed 8:30 am - 7:30 pm
Thu 8:30 am - 7:30 pm
Fri 6:00 pm - 11:00 pm
Sat 8:30 am - 6:30 pm
Sun 10:00 am - 10:00 pm

@Ns1

I’m pretty sure those hours are wrong.

If you read through Yelper Q&As on the Tire Shop Taqueria page, it seems your best bet is to go Fri through Sunday and setup starts at 6pm.

Good luck and happy eats if you go. :taco:

1 Like

Hi @Ns1,

We’ve been to Tire Shop on a Thursday before, early, and various visits around 10 or 11 p.m. Google’s hours seem more accurate:

Wed - Thurs, Mon - Sun, 6:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.
Fri - Sat, 6:00 p.m. - 12:00 a.m.
Closed Tuesdays.

Good luck!

3 Likes

Interesting post by LA Taco

2 Likes

The entire SFV is Pablitos / Angels / Venado

I’ve written off Leo’s NoHo - wasn’t there twice and no trompo the third time.

@Chowseeker1999 killing it! Thanks for the insight was wondering if some of the new contenders were good but I guess I’ll keep on going back to tire shop and poblanos

1 Like

Now THAT’s a proper carne asada!!! So smoky and flavorful.

Vampiro & regular taco

Skip the Taco Arabes

Alas my taco crawl started and ended at TST. Now I know why it’s called a ‘taco’ crawl and not a ‘quesadilla’ crawl…

8 Likes

Hi @Sgee,

Nice! So glad you liked the Carne Asada Tacos at Tire Shop Taqueria. :slight_smile: And yes, if you want to bang x bang, just stick to tacos (lest you get full on quesadillas, vampiros, and other offerings). :smile:

1 Like

lesson learned :grin:

1 Like

Glad you made it out, still the best tacos in LA. The Taco Arabes is a more recent addition. Don’t sleep on the chorizo too.

3 Likes

Tire Shop is probably still the best, but I’ve been going to El Viejon in East LA more often for my Tijuana-style fix lately (it’s closer, and less crowded, and I can pair it with a visit to Barbara’s at the Brewery on my way home).

They’re working in the now-standard TJ style, making their own tortillas, grilling Asada, chorizo, pollo really close to the mesquite charcoal so it gets nice and smoky. The asada is very good (better than other East LA options IMO) but last time I was there the chorizo was truly incredible. And they’re a super nice family to boot. I’m a bad and self-conscious food photographer but:

8 Likes

I went to poblanos the other day for the first time and tire shop is WAY better imo… no comparison.

Tire shop reigns supreme…

Also I went to tacos 1986 the other night after being let down the past couple times and they delivered…, the abodaba is still very very good. Don’t count them out.

2 Likes

Went back to El Pastorcito again tonight. So so good.

For fans of Tire Shop Taco… I give you … Tire Shop Taco AM!

Located just outside the parking lot of the Smart & Final (1216 Compton Ave), they apparently operate daily between 6am to 3pm. Everything is the same right down to the tortilla press, albeit about 1/2 the size of the night time operation.

I strolled down the end of the street to check out this busier taco stand El Compita. Looks like they specialize in hard shell taco dorados & revocaldos (?), at least that’s what most people seemed to be ordering.

11 Likes