A Taco Journey: Carne Asada, Al Pastor, Pacific Spiny Lobster, and more - Leo's Tacos #2, Tire Shop Tacos, Revolutionario, Ricky's Fish Tacos, Guerrilla, BS Taqueria and more!

What time was this on Friday night?

I hail maryd it and got there at 11:50 and they close at midnight… my fault but i was craving them!

Are they cash only?

Tire shop? Ya cash only

1 Like

All this talk about Tacos 1986 made me want to finally get myself over to Tire Shop Taqueria. Music to my taco lover’s ears. So, to use @Chowseeker1999 words, off we went.

Arrived around 6pm (opening) and as soon as we rounded the corner the air smelled of mesquite smoked goodness. Fortunately the line was just long enough for us to decide what we wanted. Using @attran99’s advice we just answered Yes to “con todo?” (cilantro, onions, cool avocado sauce, salsa). I opted for super hot salsa verde.

• Carne Asada Tacos - delicious, smokey, tender, seasoned, skirt steak in soft, hot, freshly made tortillas. If you wanna’ bomb it with salt you can do it yourself with packets on the table. :heart:
  • Carne Asada Vampiros - w/melty cheese on crunchy, grilled tortillas. :yum:
  • Chorizo Tacos - I didn’t try this but it looked really tasty, w/crispy char, spicy, red tinted, soft, pork filling. A’s response was “Very good. Very good. It doesn’t get much better.”
  • Tacos al Pastor - My hubby will always order at least one al pastor, trompo or no-trompo, no matter where or what the reviews are. But he wants it in a taco and this came mulitas-style, but between two crunchy vampiro shells. :smirk:
  • 2 Mexican Cokes. I wonder how they’d react to us bringing a couple of beers.

I’ve mentioned before my favorite meat tacos are guisados-style. I’m trying to get into the street taco game but it’s been disappointment, disappointment… Bingo! I can tell I’ll be thinking about these for a while and what I’m ordering next time. :heart:

$23.00 + Big Tip

Happy Taco Eating!

10 Likes

Congrats you finally made it to the LA GOAT :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The LA GOAT RIP

6 Likes

Reading that I thought of the Mamba too. :hearts: RIP Kobe.

6 Likes

Hi @TheCookie,

So glad you made it out to Tire Shop Taqueria! :blush: Glad you liked it. I love their Carne Asada Tacos, it puts to shame most other place (that get much more publicity). I know you want to be careful about sustainable, humanely-treated Pork, but Tire Shop’s Chorizo Taco is definitely a standout as well, but if not, order one more Carne Asada Taco. :wink:

1 Like

There were some BYOBers yesterday brown paper bag style eating on the car hood.

3 Likes

Out of curiosity, what are the other carne asada taco spots that get more publicity? Are you referring to 1986? Or are there others ones? Seems like Tire Shop gets more than their due in terms of hype.

Tacos 1986 and Sonoratown. The LA Times crowned Sonoratown #5 on their Best 101 list; one of the most ridiculous overstatements on that list. Netflix featured Sonoratown as well for one of their food shows, etc.

1 Like

That’s true, but I don’t really include Sonoratown in the same conversation as they’re a brick and mortar operation. But point well taken.

Totally agree.

It’s been sloppy and imprecise the two times I went. Joy wasn’t there.

Not to romanticize but something’s lost in the domestication. Same thing happened to Mexicali when they went brick and mortar.

3 Likes

I had friends come from out of town and said they wanted the best tacos and were going to Sonoratown… I cringed, they are not that much better than Baja Fresh or something and I am not trolling.

1 Like

el ruso is the new sweetheart.

I’ve had El Ruso bookmarked for a while but haven’t tried it yet. Looks awesome though.

It’s good, real good. They source the meat from a local company here in Vernon.

Thanks @Chowseeker1999.

I do occasionally break my rule for standouts. :wink: I’ll probably take a bite… or two next time.

1 Like

You can get the chorizo mixed with Asada, so half the guilt

2 Likes