A Taco Journey: Carne Asada, Al Pastor, Pacific Spiny Lobster, and more - Leo's Tacos #2, Tire Shop Tacos, Revolutionario, Ricky's Fish Tacos, Guerrilla, BS Taqueria and more!

Hi @Aesthete,

Perhaps. Or maybe when it’s too slow, they just stop using the trompo and just set aside a portion of the meat. Kinda like how @Ns1 and you mentioned Leo’s is (when they don’t run the trumpo, just skip it).

I’ll definitely go back for the Suadero and try asking when they run the trompo for Al Pastor. Thanks.

I guess so sadly.

Oh well.

I really want to go when the trompo is up and…as singful as this may sound, order a suadero and al pastor burrito from them hahaha

Man, chorreadas at Tacos Al Carbon in Compton, Friday’s only, are fucking incredible. An hour to get them… but damn, between the crisped tortillas with pork lard melted into them, the ultra-smokey, chewy Mazatlan carne asada, fried cheese, and uniquely spicy, tart thin red and citrus-forward green avocado salsas… damn

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDr9epeE0Eb/?taken-by=compulsiveaesthete

1 Like

Following a failed excursion to Jlee’s chicken rice pop-up, ended up doing a little Al Pastor crawl in Ktown. Ended up at

1. Leo’s @ Glendale Blvd, Echo Park. Finally got the real deal with the trompo out in the open. Loved it! Very flavorful with a nice char. Better than the one at La Guera

2. Taco El Patio/La Chispita next to La Descarga lounge. I’ve driven past this place so many times over the years. Should have driven on… Not good at all. Trompo did not leave much of a char on the meat; after being sliced it was cooked over the hot plate briefly. Flavor was non descript, terrible deal too at $2/taco. Clearly caters to the post La Descarga scene

3. Philma’s catering @ Melrose & Western Arco station. Located a few blocks south of La Descarga by the Arco station; looked promising given the decent number of customers milling around the truck. Decided to check it out after the dissapointing La Chispita. Trompo was in full operation with flames constantly licking the Al Pastor. Some of the slices were a bit too charred, flavor of the meat was just OK, not very pronounced seasoning however the heavy charring helped enhanced the flavor. Overall nothing to shout about.

Clockwise from top left Leo’s, La Chispita and Philma’s.

Wrapped up the night with ice cream from Salt and Straw. Very good - American chunky style ice cream. Nice, luscious creamy base. Note to self, double scoop portion is too much for one person…

9 Likes

Nice report @Sgee. Thanks for taking one for the team. :slight_smile: Glad you ended the night on a good note.

2 Likes

I can confirm this place is 11/10 after a night at La Descarga.

1 Like

Yeah, we were kinda stranded in Chinatown. Excellent re-grouping and a cup of Salt and Straw would remove the bitter taste out of anyone’s mouth… LOL!!

–Dommy!

yeah, i tried that place next to la descarga and was underwhelmed as well.

“the most interesting man in the world” from the dos equis commericals frequents la descarga. it turns out that the most interesting man in the world is about 5’4" - there’s a reason why he’s either sitting down on in a shot where there’s no frame of reference to gauge his height,

Underwhelmed = you weren’t drunk enough. Your taste buds should be fried from the cigars anyway.

while i do enjoy cigars, i prefer milder ones. actually i went because my friend willie macneil leads the latin band that plays there on friday nights.

1 Like

This is insanely great. You are truly doing the Taco Lord’s work.

Have to say, I’m pleasantly surprised by your write-up of Loqui. Excited to try it now.

thank you for your great taco reports.

i hope you and everyone who read this learned a lesson about prejudice.

Amazing report!

The carne asada mulitas are also great at Tio Flaco’s. FWIW, most of my visits have been after peak hours close to closing time, and the meat has always tasted fresh and tender.

1 Like

You sir are a gentleman and scholar.

2 Likes

Thanks @President_Mochi. :slight_smile:

Yah if you’re in the area definitely give Loqui a try. It’s one of the places I’m craving right now.

@Chowseeker1999​:+1:t2::clap:t2:

There’s an elusive al pastor joint somewhere around around normandie & melrose & Beverly vicinity in Ktown on a smaller secondary alley.

Just a table and al pastor trompo, a bit like La Guera. I’ve failed to note the exact location and have not been able to find it since. Any ideas?

Do you have any idea what Quetzalcoatl hours are??

Everyone else has hours except them. Did you just call to see if they were there/open?

Hi @Sgee,

Darn it. I’ll try and keep my eyes open, but I might need a break from this. :stuck_out_tongue: Let me know if you try it first.

Hi @Aesthete,

Thanks for the catch. Let me update the hours in the post above:

(Closed Wednesdays)
Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri:
8 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Sat - Sun:
6 a.m. - 7 p.m.

Once again, incredible work, @Chowseeker1999! I was so excited about Loqui finally opening that I dragged my husband here this afternoon, but didn’t notice that your review said they’re closed on Sunday. Well, I learned my lesson by going with the hours posted on Yelp… I’m going to try that mushroom taco someday. It looked wonderful in your review.

Hi @MaladyNelson,

Thanks. Definitely try that Mushroom Taco; hopefully you enjoy it. :slight_smile:

1 Like