A Tour of Shanghai: The Succulent Braised Pork, Tasty Shanghai Wontons and Delicious Lion's Head of Shanghailander Palace (Review / Pics)

35-40 minutes to WSGV. About 10-15 minutes more to ESGV. Show them @Chowseeker1999’s pix and they will drive the extra time. I know I am.

1 Like

you might, but they won’t.

Or just hitch a ride with @Chowseeker1999’s posse.

And pickup the tab, of course.

1 Like

Their loss. I hope you still go some time soon.

Hi @Chowseeker1999 -

I’ll just say ditto to what @bulavinaka said. Just my thoughts. But who could say it better or funnier than that?

Awesome Chow Seeking.

1 Like

Hi @TheCookie,

Thanks. :slight_smile: I think you’d like the Shanghai Wontons here, and the Braised Pork. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You. Nice avatar!

1 Like

Well @Chowseeker1999 -

You have me pegged. I definitely noted the wontons and broth. Same goes for shellacked, melt in your mouth meats :kissing_closed_eyes:. Of course, I have that inconvenient pork guilt. But it is very, very tempting.

Coincidently, I’ve been reading about and looking at recipes for Shanghai’s red cooking… the food, not the restaurant :slight_smile:.

Thanks!

1 Like

[quote=“bulavinaka, post:27, topic:5459”]
Nice avatar!
[/quote]Thank @Bookwich :blush:.

1 Like

Hi @TheCookie,

Oh, I didn’t know you avoided pork, sorry about that! If you master some of those new recipes you can compare them to the dishes at Shanghailander and see how it comes out. :slight_smile:

Hi !

No, I’m sorry. How self-centered of me to think you read all my posts :smile:. I don’t mention it often and actually :heart: pork - just trying to eat less of the conventionally-raised :pig2:. But I certainly try dishes a restaurant is known for, like Shanghailander’s incredible braised pork in brown sauce.

Thanks for the vote if confidence. I’m a long way from comparisons to a restaurant. But since I have this issue, - along with @secretasianman’s, of not finding peeps to drive to SGV often - Chinese might be fun to start learning at home… baby steps.

We are so restaurant spoiled here it makes me lazy: African, Korean, Mexican, but good Chinese not so much.

Okay, I’ll stop blathering. Again, great review.

1 Like

Shanghailander Palace is open in Arcadia now (@1440 South Baldwin Ave).

Couldn’t pay me enough to go back.

But you’re more than welcome to go.

They made some interesting changes at City of industry location which I didn’t care for. Have they changed ownership or something?

Hi @A5KOBE,

What did they change at their original location?

I believe the change at the original Hacienda Height location was to open up the new Arcadia location, as in moving front and back of the house staff westward to Arcadia.

1 Like

The staff seemed younger and quite unprofessional. The kid took my order and had a fruit in his mouth. Then, they added bonito flakes to the eggplant shrimp paste dish, which before was excellent and now greasy and less shrimp. The addition of bonito was not my cup of tea. All the dishes, aside from the pork with brown sauce, seemed to lack higher level of cooking.

1 Like

That makes sense. But did they try to become more fusion with their dishes?

Thanks @ipsedixit. Interesting, so the OG staff is now at their new location and you didn’t like it?

Couldn’t agree more. I was there last month and didn’t care for anything I had.

I’ve never really liked Shanghailander Palace.

If the Emperor had no clothes, then this place is buck naked.