A Wonderful Japanese Bakery - Stay for the Velvety Cream Bread and Handmade Steamed Pork Buns! - Cream Pan [Thoughts + Pics]

Hi @js76wisco,

Nice! Thanks for the report back. What did you end up trying at the new location? :slight_smile:

Donā€™t laugh at my meager visit but Iā€™m running the Brea 8k this weekend so trying to be good. Had the cinnamon roll (is that what itā€™s called?). It was a little well done but I actually preferred the crispness. Bought a bag of whole wheat sliced bread and a few green olive rolls. Saving those for later. Iā€™ll definitely be back and confirm that everything is on par with Tustin. But it looked good to me.

2 Likes

Those pork buns always sell out, come early

2 Likes

So glad you enjoyed the strawberry croissants. They are truly so good that you can inhale a few before youā€™ve realized youā€™ve eaten them.

3 Likes

Frozen pork buns heat up great in a steamer or microwave.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip @JeetKuneBao! :slight_smile: We always show up early to Cream Pan (for various errands we run to the south). Good to know.

Got to the Tustin location at 6:55am. ~40 person line which has grown closer to ~60 after waiting for 40 minutes. The line wraps several times in the parking lot and is spilling onto the sidewalk. Donā€™t come here on Motherā€™s Day unless you get here early. They open at 5:30am:

6 Likes

Just a friendly reminder that the Fountain Valley location has the exact same menu as Tustin with zero wait. I overheard a woman on line talking to her friend that the wait at Tustin at 7:15am was around 90 mins. I donā€™t know how I spent so much but everything was great except for the blueberry croissant. The pastry was not as crisp and flaky as usual. Prices are up ~10% or so vs last year but that seems very reasonable.

7 Likes

I wasnā€™t kidding on how excited I was about this openingā€¦ Went today! YAY! YAYAAYAYAAYAYAAY!!!

whus6qHoRKOEuPQhtzmOZg_mini_21282

I totally planned this out. I was nervous about them selling out. I was nervous about hitting a lunch crowd. I was nervous about missing lunchy type items I really wanted to try! ACK! So it was decidedā€¦ go at 10:30a. So I can catch them before they sell out of everything (There had been reports of that) AND be there as MAYBE some of their lunch items would start to come outā€¦

I was floored when I pulled up and there wasnā€™t like a line outside. Inside there was a good amount of folks finishing up their brekkies.

The place is immaculate. Large and airy. There are a few tables along the wall and counters by the windows. Most of the cases are full of a variety of items. There is one case that still needs to be set up and I imagine it will hold cakes.

One of the first cases you see is an open grab and go for their famous strawberry croissants. These bad boys are going to be a hit in offices and potucks throughout the south bay for sure!!

You can also buy them by the each.

In the other grab and go they have their savory items like their Sandwiches.

I was right to come a little earlyā€¦ I scored the last one of theseā€¦ :smiley:

Even though it was late in the morning, they had lots of pastries still. They were only out of the Ham and Cheese Croissantā€¦

Of course they all manner of their famous breads

fvjrM0%XQpOrQt1zTPrnsg_mini_2127a

I timed it just right too! As I got up to the cash register they set out the days Onigiri and Handrolls!

o2ykpwymQUS8MISHprdwJQ_mini_21278

By the time I had scouted the entire selection, made the tough choices of what to get and what to wait for next time. What to get P who couldnā€™t come with me. It was close to 11a and then another rush came in. But all through it, they kept replenishing the cases. They seemed to constantly bring out items and refill sold out items with other items. They had lots of staff expediting order and their bakery operation was bustling!! Lots of workers handmaking their famous croissants!

Checked out and LUNCH!

My favorite item had to be the handroll. I love handrolls and buy them often at places like Nijaya and Tokyo Central. Even though the nori was not crip, the shari was amazing. It had a wonderful loose pack. Great flavor. Most of the time the shari in these grab and go rolls compress together, is really just there to hold the roll together. In this roll, it was a main feature.

My second favorite was the Olive Baton. It was so lovely, soft with a great crust. A ton of olives! Didnā€™t need butter at all.

The Sandos are always really good. And the only Okay item was the hotdog bun. The hot dog was a bit cold and not really all that great in terms of flavor. I bought half of it home and plan to toast it up in the oven for a little bit in hopes of improving it. We shall see.

And of courseā€¦ the famous croissantā€¦

I had it tonight and it was lovely. The strawberries were at PEAK. The pastry super light. I wish it had a little more buttery taste and a little less powdered sugar. I donā€™t want to be that personā€¦ but next time I may ask them to pull me one without the sugar.

After a good chat with a friend I met there, it was close to noon and I went back to pick up some hot dog buns and saw that they had put out more lunchy items. Salads and cut rolls!! Next Time!

Finallyā€¦ PRO TIP!! The parking lot looks small, but they have overflow parking. So donā€™t freak out as you drive by. Just pull in and look for the open gate!

B8POk4OzSaKTUBHJlQEenw_mini_2128e

Now GO! I want this to be here foreverā€¦

ā€“Dommy!

22 Likes

Wowww you got me amped!

2 Likes

Haha great review lots of excitement and mystery!

I canā€™t wait to go. Truthfully they should have been here years ago.

Dommy did you happen to see if they are serving curry rice/katsu curry and steamed buns?

Probably a long way for you but if you are ever in Anaheim, Okayama Kobo might suit your fancy. I think I reviewed them somewhere here on FTC.

3 Likes

Great questions! I was so excited and happy to be there, that I was not disappointed that they did not have any Curry Pan or Curry dishes. They had a lot of new staff (Likeā€¦ first day kids) so I didnā€™t want to quiz them too much knowing I would for sure be back. They are very much in opening mode, I mentioned the cakes (Just because I know folks will eventually use them for office and celebration cakes and I am SURE they are coming). Also they donā€™t have much in terms of drinks (Just drip coffee, bottled stuff and OJ in an ice tub

But they DID have the steamed buns. I was so happy to see them. I am not a fan of the steamed buns at Nijaya and I miss the ones from Famima! So yesā€¦ These are on my must try for next time!

And finallyā€¦ YES!! I have been to Okayama Kobo! They have on in Little Tokyo!! I have been quite often and they sell out too!! But they have an awesome drink program (better than Dulce IMHO). Itā€™s just down the street now from the new Little Tokyo Station and with me moving up further east on the 110, Iā€™ll be there more oftenā€¦

But thanks for the rec! Iā€™m down in OC a good amount. Iā€™ll trade you one! I love the Kimbap at Oh Mama Kitchen when Iā€™m in rush down thereā€¦

As you can see from this shot in my carā€¦ LOL!!

14 Likes

The kimbap at Oh Mama is very, very satisfying. I have yet to find one better in KTown, but Ggor Ghap sounds promising.

3 Likes

Yes, I agree about Oh Mamaā€™s kimbap!

5 Likes

I went there today at 12 ish and they were basically sold out of everything. No lunch or prepared savory items and just a smattering of pastries

I shouldā€™ve just gotten two strawberry croissants. Blueberry was solid but strawberry is way better lol.

6 Likes

Lomita location. Morning here is a hangout for older Asians lol

10 Likes

Iā€™m usually at the Tustin location every morning, it has contributed a lot to my weight gain.

4 Likes

Tustin is pretty dangerous dudeā€¦.Cream Pan, Oliboli, and Paderia all nearby.

Good thing you didnā€™t win the golden ticket at Oliboli for free donuts for a year lol

4 Likes

Oliboli is my Friday stop. lol!

2 Likes

Have you seen the apple fritter lately?