A Wonderful Japanese Bakery - Stay for the Velvety Cream Bread and Handmade Steamed Pork Buns! - Cream Pan [Thoughts + Pics]

Hi @js76wisco,

Nice! Thanks for the report back. What did you end up trying at the new location? :slight_smile:

Don’t laugh at my meager visit but I’m running the Brea 8k this weekend so trying to be good. Had the cinnamon roll (is that what it’s called?). It was a little well done but I actually preferred the crispness. Bought a bag of whole wheat sliced bread and a few green olive rolls. Saving those for later. I’ll definitely be back and confirm that everything is on par with Tustin. But it looked good to me.

2 Likes

Update 1:

We were able to visit Baker-Owner Yoshi Inada’s wonderful Cream Pan Bakery & Cafe just before the pandemic hit and we’re glad to hear they are open for Takeout during this time as well.

Walking in, this time, we remembered the recommendation for the Strawberry Croissants! (@attran99) :slight_smile:

Yamamoto Yama Hojicha (Roasted Green Tea):

A great pick me up early in the morning on this visit. :slight_smile:

Curry Pan (Curry Bread):

We loved their Curry Pan (Curry Bread) on our previous visit so we had to get it again. I loved the toasty, crunchy top, giving way to a fluffy, light interior with a burst of their Housemade Curry. :blush:

Strawberry Croissant:

The first few times I saw this in their display case, I foolishly thought it was just a simple cream-filled Croissant, but after the recommendations by @attran99 and @Hungrydrunk and others, we had to give it a try.

While their standard plain Croissant is rather soft and basic, this Strawberry Croissant is similar to the Almond Croissant in that it’s been crisped up, flaky, crunchy, and filled with the same outstanding Custard Cream filling as in their namesake Cream Pan! :open_mouth: It wasn’t apparent visually from the case.

It was outstanding! I loved the custardy, light, creamy, delicate and balanced filling (not overly sweet) and then accented with a bit of fresh Strawberry slices and Powdered Sugar. Tasty! :heart: (Thanks @attran99 @Hungrydrunk @A5KOBE and others)

Cream Pan (Cream Bread):

But it’s best to finish things off with their namesake Cream Pan (Cream Bread), which seems rather basic from its looks, but take a bite, and you have magic! It is like a sublime Custard, silky, light, balanced, and it just brings a smile to your face! :heart: So good! :blush: (@PorkyBelly @TheCookie @J_L @paranoidgarliclover and others.)

But don’t leave without trying their wonderful…

Nikuman (Steamed Pork Bun):

One of the few local places that still make their Nikuman in-house, Inada-san’s Nikuman is fluffy, with a lightly spiced (not chili spice), mouth-watering Marinated Ground Pork filling that’s juicy, light and delicious! :heart:

Another visit:

Chicken Katsu Curry:

Yes, Cream Pan also makes their own Housemade Japanese Curry! We had to give this a try. :slight_smile:

This is very much in the “classic” Japanese Curry flavor spectrum, not very heavy on Garam Masala, more of a very zesty straight Curry flavor. This was tasty. :slight_smile:

The actual Chicken Katsu was OK. After having great Katsu (Fried Cutlet) at places like Kagura, it’s hard to go back, but it worked with a lightly crunchy exterior.

Overall, it’s still a good option if you were in the area and craving Japanese Curry Rice. :slight_smile: (@Dommy @attran99 and others.)

Nikuman (Steamed Pork Bun):

But it’s their Nikuman (Steamed Pork Bun) that we can’t get enough of! These Handmade Nikuman were even fluffier and tastier than our previous visits! :heart:

Cream Pan Bakery & Cafe is a wonderful neighborhood Japanese Bakery that’s worth a stop if you find yourself in Orange County. There are a variety of delicious Pastries and other items to treat yourself to while visiting. Their Cream Pan (Cream Bread) is a must, and the Strawberry Croissant a new find (thanks again @attran99 @Hungrydrunk @A5KOBE). :slight_smile:

If you like Chocolate, you can get the Boston Cream Donut instead, which is wonderful, with a nice firm Chocolate shell on the outside, but don’t miss out on their Housemade Nikuman (Pork Steam Buns) a nice treat and tasty snack that might remind you of going to a Konbini (Convenience Store) in Japan.

Cream Pan Bakery & Cafe
602 El Camino Real
Tustin, CA 92780
Tel: (714) 665-8239

http://www.creampanbakery.com/

11 Likes

Those pork buns always sell out, come early

2 Likes

So glad you enjoyed the strawberry croissants. They are truly so good that you can inhale a few before you’ve realized you’ve eaten them.

3 Likes

Frozen pork buns heat up great in a steamer or microwave.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip @JeetKuneBao! :slight_smile: We always show up early to Cream Pan (for various errands we run to the south). Good to know.