Aburiya Raku - West Hollywood

New pork cheek and sea bass bentos @Chowseeker1999, @TheCookie, @attran99, @NYCtoLA
https://www.instagram.com/p/B_gPleojiw_/

6 Likes

Slightly confused. Are the various Bento Boxes and the Bara Chirashi Bento Box all made by Chef Sugishita and available at Aburiya Raku?

@TheCookie The chirashi is only available by direct IG order through Chef Sugishita. It’s an operation independent of Raku’s regular menu. They’re just letting him use the kitchen to prep and put together the boxes. He puts together each box on his own.
Raku’s regular menu can be obtained during normal business hours.
Note of reference for the folks on this board. Chef Sugishita mentioned in passing that he’s not entirely sure if Raku is going to be viable after all this shut-in/lockdown is over. They’ve been seeing decreased revenues since the foie ban went back into effect. This current climate is not helping.

8 Likes

Okay, thanks @attran99. But didn’t I read on one of these threads that he’s also the assistant chef at Aburiya Raku?

Hmmm… I never ate Foie at AR and didn’t realize it was THE big draw. I thought it was all the great Kushiyaki and Chef Matt’s superior Sashimi (big loss).

He indeed is one of the chefs at AR.

1 Like

Hi @TheCookie,

Yah, I posted the info on how to order earlier a few days ago. And yes, he is the assistant chef at Raku.

1 Like

I’m torn. I don’t do pickups as frequently as y’all so I‘m a little choosy. I want Chef Sugishita’s awesome looking Chirashi but want to support AR even more, especially if they’re struggling. If they’re just lending him their kitchen for his Bentos does that mean they get nothing out of it or is it all the same pot? So to speak. :thinking:

Edit: @Chowseeker1999. The dilemma comes from you not being able to get both Chef Sugishita’s offerings and AR’s offerings on the same day. Is that correct? I would get both at the same time if available.

You should contact Chef Sugishita on IG and ask. My options are limited since I’m only free around lunchtime everyday. Late afternoon/early evening trips to the city are harder with my schedule.

1 Like

Will do!

I was able to do this. I picked up my chirashi and raku bentos at the same time. I was even able to place my raku order through chef sugishita. You’ll just need to schedule for when raku is open (lunch m-f 12-2, dinner m-sat 5-8).

Chef sugishita also delivers. So another option is to get your chirashi delivered and ask if he can deliver your raku order as well.

3 Likes

Perfect!

I can confirm he will deliver both the chirashi and “regular” Raku menu items if you are in range.

11 Likes

Hi @TheCookie,

Looks like everyone answered your question already. :slight_smile: But yes, if you want to support Aburiya Raku, then ordering Chef Sugishita’s chirashi is not going to do that; that’s his side business / special order.

But if you saw in my thread and here, there are plenty of delicious Raku offerings as well. Enjoy!

3 Likes

Kaisen don
https://www.instagram.com/p/CAbM4JJjYFc

8 Likes

Sure looks purty…

I think I’m a little meh on the shredded tamago…

jimmy sugishita special bento box

nodoguro meshi

ikura

sabazushi

futomaki

katsuura kinmedai, tosazu gelee, myoga

mizuna ohitashi, kuruma ebi and kasugodai

tamago

19 Likes

Hi @PorkyBelly,

Looks wonderful! Thanks for the great pics and report. :slight_smile: Was that grilled Nodoguro over rice? :slight_smile:

And what were the other items? How was it? Thanks.

3 Likes

Forgot the food - I want the lacquer bento box with the rabbits.

10 Likes

I think at this point we can declare the Japanese are the best in the lunch game. From convenience stores to supermarkets to mom-n-pops to sushi restaurants and everything in between the Japanese have the strongest lunch game

7 Likes