Affordable Omakase for a beginner?

Prices?

Best to do lunch Omakases at Shunji and Kiriko. Shunji does 12 pieces and a crab roll for $40. One of the great lunch deals in town.

1 Like

I’ll second the recommendation for Sugarfish. It’s table seating, right in your price range, and tasty.

The fish seem to be a bit ordinary, no? Looked on their menu, the trust me sets have things like salmon, tuna, halibut, snapper. Doesn’t seem to be like omakase since the menu is always the same.

That is going to be the case at pretty much any place that gives you an omakase south of $60 or so. Shunji and Kiriko’s lunch deals (both very good value and quality) are pretty static specials that are served one piece at a time at the bar but are not strictly speaking omakase.

This is what I was trying to say earlier. IMO your best bet is to order off of a menu from someplace that has a wide variety of neta as well as other japanese food since you mentioned others in your party might want things other than sushi as well as table service.

Go to Ichi, on a weeknight, sit at the bar and explain to Ichiro-san that you’re a novice and would like an omakase experience that is in the price range of [insert your desired price pojnt], then sit back and enjoy the evening.

You may cut corners on the price, but there’s no need to skimp on quality, or the experience, when being budget-minded.

[quote=“MyAnnoyingOpinions, post:25, topic:2718”]
That is going to be the case at pretty much any place that gives you an omakase south of $60 or so.
[/quote] What I meant is SUGARfish doesn’t seem to have anything remotely exotic. Their Trust Me Menu:
Organic Edamame
Tuna Sashimi
Albacore Sushi (2-pc)
Salmon Sushi (2-pc)
Yellowtail Sushi (2-pc)
Halibut Sushi (1-pc)
Snapper Sushi (1-pc)
Toro Hand Roll (Same price as yellowtail…)
Blue Crab Hand Roll

It is always the same, and was looking for something that could include things like toro, uni, mackerel, and other fish that are more unique. Yes, the omakase at a place like Kanpachi won’t be as unique as other more expensive places, but it does change day to day and serves more premium nigiri.

Won’t be able to sit at the bar, I mentioned before that I will be dining with 2 others that aren’t ordering omakase.

Wouldn’t ordering a la carte be more expensive? Not sure I could get uni, toro, aji, ama ebi, etc. a la carte for $40 and be full.

You can still sit at the bar. It fits 3, 4 max.

Looks good, do they have any kitchen entrees at lunch like donburi or teriyaki?

Agree on Nozomi. I think the basic Omakase is $40? Kantaro is also good. If you are in the South Bay, the above two places are good in addition to Chitose (Redondo Beach) and Miura (Lomita on PCH).

But Omakase is best having at the sushi counter. I think you can order ala carte at the sushi counter on the weekdays for the above 4 restaurants.

But you need to make reservations even on the weekdays if you want to sit at the sushi counter.

1 Like

I love Miura (kantaro not so much), but you’re not getting out of there under $60 at the counter for omakase. It is a gem in the strip mall ridden hell of Lomita tho.

Op, if you’re going to be with other people eating grilled salmon teriyaki, give up on affordable omakase. You’re just set yourself up for failure.

Also, sugar fish is about 2 levels about trader Joe sushi. What a deplorable experience all around. But hey, if you have to deal with other n00bs, go right ahead. I’d rather eat King Taco. (Not that I fux with king taco. That shit’s foul).

2 Likes

Sugarfish is garbage. It’s like the Red Lobster of sushi. If you can eat at a place like Shunji or Kiriko in your price range, you should definitely go there. Or something like chirashi at Sushi Go 55.

1 Like

This is the $38 lunch sushi special at Nozomi. It’s not an “omakase”.

1 Like

When I hear that word half the time I am thinking…

you keep using that word

Hi @NitWit,

I think you might’ve responded to the wrong post; mine was recommending Shunji at Lunch. :slight_smile:

Shunji doesn’t do teriyaki or donburis IIRC.

But @Haeldaur and others have confirmed (and I saw it the last time I was there) that Shunji at Lunch does have a Lunch Special where it’s individual pieces / sushi (high quality fish) and a blue crab roll at the end for $40.

I think you’ll be able to appreciate some quality sushi at that price point and start seeing how it compares to other places you try later.

Make note of the types of fish you like or don’t like (e.g., maybe you don’t like Mackerel because it’s too oily / pungent for you (that’s fine). Then at least you’ll know and can inform the sushi chef at the next place you visit to avoid those types of fish).

$38 at nozomi’s bar has been omakase for as long as people have been reporting about it. Per @djquinnc’s screen cap above, the dinner (and lunch) menu clearly states “chef’s choice sushi”.

It is chef’s choice. It comes piece by piece. You get a bit of conversation thrown in. You get to tell the chef you don’t want any uni/toro, blah blah blah. You sat in the dining room and ordered omakase lunch and got a platter of sushi (per chef’s choice). We’re sorry that experience was subpar (tho I didn’t click into the link), but if I’ve ordered lunch omakase, got more than the menu’s description, and even subbed the rolls with other pieces.

Ymmv, except not really.

Ah okay–thanks for the clarification. And my experience wasn’t subpar; in fact it made me want to go back and sit at the bar.