Alfred's Steakhouse sold to Daniel Patterson

Since you are a champion of the place, Robert, I will be interested to hear what you think…

Paywalled:
http://www.sfchronicle.com/restaurants/article/Alfred-s-Steakhouse-sold-to-Daniel-Patterson-6574981.php

Melanie posted an excerpt over at the other place:

“…For now, Alfred’s remains open until its New Year’s Eve finale.
Patterson plans to reopen after a quick renovation, likely in February.There
will be some changes. The wood trim and panels might get a new polish,
for example. You may see some new cocktails on the menu — maybe some
barrel-aged ones — but cocktail shakers will still be served alongside
the martinis and Manhattans.The chef will be Charlie Parker,
currently the chef at Haven in Oakland. Though the creamed spinach will
certainly remain on the menu, expect the vegetables in particular to get
more attention, both in the farm sourcing and through a more
contemporary style…”

1 Like

I hope the awesome John will remain on the waitstaff.

The crystal ball is showing instability.

NOT paywalled: From Eater: Daniel Patterson Group Buys 87-Year-Old Alfred’s Steakhouse

Excerpts:

… with the intent to preserve its character.

A city staple since 1928, Alfred’s Steakhouse is now being ushered into the city’s modern restaurant era. Mini city mogul Daniel Patterson, whose restaurant group includes Coi, Alta CA, Aster and more, has purchased the old-school steak-and-potatoes spot, but assures that much will stay the same, Inside Scoop reported. The restaurant as you now know it will close after a final hurrah on New Year’s Eve, with a quick renovation to follow and reopen planned for February . . .

Doesn’t seem like much, right? That’s the point, Daniel Patterson Group director of operations Ron Boyd told Eater. “As the Petri family bought it from Alfredo [Bacchini] back in 1973 and made their changes and kept their following and that tradition alive, we’re looking to do the same thing,” he said. For those who don’t know the restaurant has been sold, they still won’t. “That’s the point,” Boyd said. Boyd was the main driver behind the buy-out, as he has been dining there once a month for years, and he is dedicated to keeping essential details like serving martinis in the shaker tableside.

The Petri family has owned Alfred’s for 22 years and had no plans to sell the restaurant, but after being approached by DPG and a year of negotiations, they were comfortable with the idea of selling. “What I liked about Daniel is that he wanted to continue the use of the name of Alfred’s,” patriarch Al Petri said. “That was a feel-good position for me: That it will continue to go on, without my headaches.”

They’re taking reservations starting Feb. 18.

http://www.alfredssf.com/

I really, really hope John (waiter) is still working there.

http://insidescoopsf.sfgate.com/blog/2016/02/18/alfreds-steakhouse-reopens-inside-the-reborn-san-francisco-classic/

After looking at the menu, this is the most exciting restaurant opening for me since Cockscomb.

A few comments: The mandatory service charge is still there and now it is 20% (I think it was 18% before). The article said some steaks are choice and some are prime. But I can’t tell which from the menu. I think the mixed drink prices went up.

John has been at Alioto’s and will be back soon, I’m told.

Executive summary, food is great, everything that was good still is, and lots of things have been improved.

Walked in around 9:00, place looked full but there were a couple of seats at the bar. Look and feel is very much the same. The bartender told me that the remodeling / restoration was more extensive than it looks. The only differences I noticed were that there are no longer glass panels between the booths, there’s more room behind the bar, and bar is no longer brightly lit. Service was smooth, surprisingly so for a place on its second service, probably helps that many of the old employees are still there.

My appetizer of charred sardines with butter beans, braised greens, fennel, and croutons ($15) was a good portion for the price, would have been plenty for two to share. Delicious, reminded me of Plum (where I was a pretty regular customer while Charlie Parker was the chef).

“Alfred’s Cut” bone-in 28-ounce rib-eye ($65, plenty for two, I took half home, the photo is minus a few bites) was medium-rare as ordered, nice sear, beefy, juicy, and properly seasoned, pretty much my ideal. I always thought it was bizarre that the old place did not season the meat, that’s just wrong. Creamed spinach with bacon ($9, that’s about half of it on the plate in the photo) was a huge improvement over the old version, which was made properly but bland (one of my friends brought his own nutmeg and grater to correct that).

The wine list is much longer and more diverse. Some great old Bordeauxs for those on expense accounts, some reasonable old Riojas. Nice choices by the glass.

I had a Last Word for dessert since it was on the menu and that’s my favorite cocktail. Excellent version. Washed that down with a barrel-aged house Manhattan, which is exactly the same as they serve at Plum.

Overall, they’ve done a great job. Alfred’s 2.0 is everything that Tosca 2.0 is not.

2 Likes

Thanks Robert. I will check them out soon. Did they mention on the menu or did the server mention which cuts of meat were Choice and which were Prime? If you didn’t get the Alfreds Cut, what you would choose? (I am ordering for 1)

Did you end up tipping in addition to the 20%?

This looks like my kind of place!

I don’t know which are choice and which are prime. They all come from Flannery Beef. The Alfred’s Cut was the cheapest bone-in steak.

http://www.flannerybeef.com/company/history/

I didn’t leave a tip.

Thank you for posting. John is such a stellar and generous person, I was hoping he landed on his feet.

Went again last night, sat in a booth in the main room, same delightful old-school vibe as ever. It occurred to me that the “old” decor really wasn’t that old, Alfred’s moved from Broadway to the old Blue Fox only in 1997.

http://www.sfgate.com/restaurants/diningout/article/Alfred-s-Still-Makes-the-Cut-After-70-years-in-2302617.php

Chopped chicories were good but I wish we’d gotten the tableside Alfred’s salad, which looked to be a variation on a Caesar. Porterhouse was plenty for two. The carrots in aged beef fat with smoked yogurt were great. Brown butter Bearnaise was spectacular. Too full for dessert. The tableside Bananas Foster looked like fun.

Melanie Wong’s post: “the new Alfred’s has re-instated the buckaroo lunch on Thursday and Friday”

http://www.alfredssf.com/lunch/
Buckaroo Lunch
Thursday, Friday 11:30 am – 2:30 pm

Had a very nice meal to celebrate a special occasion this week.

Oysters Rockefeller with bacon ($16). Went great with a very nice Austrian Grüner from the BTG list ($13).

I forgot to take a photo of the delicious smoked steelhead trout with pickles and horseradish cream ($16) before we devoured it.

“Alfred’s Cut” 28-oz. bone-in ribeye ($70), plenty for two. Nice char, medium-rare as ordered. We asked them to bring it to the table uncut, last time they split it into two plates in the kitchen, which to me is not nearly as fun.

Steak comes with two sauces, we got two orders of brown butter Bearnaise because what’s better? This was almost foamy, maybe a little touch of modernist technique there. The waiter comped us a third after we finished these two.

Creamed spinach with bacon and plenty of nutmeg ($9). Great dish, maybe even better than last time.

Maitake mushrooms with onions ($12), simple and good.

The under-$100 bottles in the red section of the wine list are almost all the ripe, high-alcohol, oaky stuff I don’t like. This was OK and at $48 reasonably priced, but next time I’ll try to remember to bring a bottle and pay corkage.

Spanish coffee made tableside ($15 x 2). The waiter set the brandy on fire and caramelized the sugar on the rim. Very nice light dessert after a rich and filling dinner.

With 20% service charge and tax, $280. Not cheap but a very good value by the current inflated SF standards.

I love this place a lot. It’s festive in an old-school way without being at all stuffy.

2 Likes

I love the old-school stuff they do here.

Colors are way off in most of these because I didn’t want to annoy my dining companion by spending a lot of time taking pictures.

Speaking of old-school: these guys’ first vintage was 1952. $52.

Celery Victor ($11), invented by Hotel St. Francis chef Victor Hirtzler in 1910. Like Chris Cosentino’s version this has some shaved raw along with the poached.

Smoked black cod with fromage blanc ($17), I was expecting sliced fish, this was more like a dairy-rich variation on whitefish salad. Good but richer than I was in the mood for.

Shrimp cocktail ($19), I’m glad they served these huge Gulf shrimp with the sauce on the side as they didn’t need it. Perfectly cooked and subtly seasoned.

The Alfred’s Cut (bone-in ribeye) ($75) and creamed spinach ($9) looked pretty much like the last time. The baked potato ($9 each) was one of the best I’ve had, I think they buttered the skin or something to make it really tasty. remembered to bring a bottle of lower-alcohol Bordeaux, they comped us corkage, probably because we bought two bottles.

This was listed on the menu as “grilled peach Melba” ($9) but it was more like a bowl of raspberry sorbet garnished with berries and peaches. Good but not what I was expecting. My companion had the spumoni ($10), which was more of a sundae than the usual semifreddo, great flavors though.

Finished off the meal with a half bottle of Ch. La Rame Sainte Croix du Mont ($52).

Great service as always. I love this place. I don’t know why it’s not harder to get a reservation.

2 Likes

Sorry to say that Alfred’s has been closed without explanation since June and has a $13000 PGE bill tacked to the door. Doesn’t look good. :cry: