All Day Baby

I’m in the city tonight. Thanks! Will try to stop by and check it out if it’s early enough.

1 Like

My attempt was a bust. I didn’t make it to helluvaday tonight. Menu looks super promising. Reservations recommended, but walk-ins welcome per their communication to me via IG.

2 Likes

@paranoidgarliclover these are back today and I think you would love them

All Day Baby on Instagram: "omilord, when Mercury Retrograde is in 👏🏽 your 👏🏽 FAVOR 👏🏽 the return of @thessa.diadem’s BACON ONION CHEESE SCONE — so warm!! Today only! . Thessa had a chance to listen to an old podcast episode of Air Jordan by @jordanokun wherein we speak of this magical moist/crunchy scone and made time to bake a few for today . ☀️ FEEL-GOOD FOOD ☀️ 9AM-3PM / Wed-Sun / order online @toasttab for takeout + delivery or call us 323-741-0082 #ADBalways"

4 Likes

Ohmigod, we will not be too far from there today. Not sure if I’ll be able to hit them up b/f an errand, but I’ll try. Thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

omg that looks insane

1 Like

It’s so good…I buy a couple extra and slice it open the next day to make a breakfast sandwich.

1 Like

Argh!!! Sold out in the morning. Getting reg biscuit + cookies. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

All Day Baby x Bar Le Côte
2 night collaboration

All Day Baby and the team from Bar Le Côte/Bell’s (Los Olivos/Los Alamos) got together to have some fun in Silver Lake. In chatting with Lien, we found that this is also a test run as ADB is preparing to open for evening dinner service in the near future and some dishes tonight will be available.

Bell’s Cup - Strawberry brandy, Pimm’s, citrus, cucumber
Send buckets of this refreshing drink to me because I could have one (or more) every night

Kusshi oysters & mignonette
Peel & Eat Shrimp & cocktail sauce
These oysters were on par with what I had at Majordomo over the weekend, and those shrimp were perfectly poached and covered with a delightful (and proprietary) BLC seasoning…I wonder if they sell it. :thinking:

Tomato Salad - salt & pepper mayo, Cajun XO sauce, cider vinegar
Hands down the favorite dish of the night by our entire table. The tomatoes are pristine and the sauce created by the mayo, vinegar and XO sauce is ridiculous in taste and texture. This will be on the dinner menu and we will be back just for it. I had to steal @estarla’s IG photo because we were animals and just dug in.

Manila Clams - BLC chorizo, fried bread, white wine
This was a good dish. Nice to see it made with Mexican chorizo instead of Spanish.

To this point, my only complaint was there was no bread to sop up the sauce from the tomato salad and the clams…wasted sauce makes me a little sad.

Pulpo Con Papas - Spanish octopus, Weiser fingerlings, saffron aioli, frisée
Tender charred octopus and crispy potatoes and aioli? Sign me up!

Brick Cornish Hen - Mom’s sour cream gravy, fried lemon & onions, lemon pepper
This was a delightful hen…lots of flavor and the fried paper-thin lemon and onion slices gave so much flavor and texture. I’d never had sour cream gravy before (a family recipe from Chef Whitener) and it did provide a nice contrast…and kept the hen moist. My hen was a touch over cooked, but I appreciated the effort. This will also make the ADB dinner menu.

Lemon Semifreddo - pickled cherries, brown butter, cashew meringue
One of my dining companions said the meringue reminded him of a macaron…the way it shattered and chewed. This was a perfect way to end the meal…light and refreshing…those pickled cherries should be sold in bulk like the house strawberry jam.

Sightings tonight…the team from Little Coyote and Royce Burke. Maybe a couple of more we didn’t recognize.

We had a great time. Service was amazing. Plates cleared and new silverware with each course. If this is a sign of dinner service to come, I think we’re in for a real winner with ADB.

13 Likes

Wow everything looks amazing. Hope they keep all these dishes for dinner service.

1 Like

Only the tomato salad and the Cornish Hen will stay on, per Lien.
The seafood dishes were exclusively Bar Le Côte.

3 Likes

Man this caught my eye. Jalapeno cheddar corn dog.

5 Likes

Biggest Asian eyes ever

1 Like

Had the dineLA menu tonight with a group of friends. Not gonna lie, it was a pretty incredible deal for $55, would strongly recommend. Bar program is v good too (not sure it’s quite as strong as it was at HLAY, but it’s close).

Menu (source):

SHISHITO PEPPERS, pimento ranch, puffed wild rice

Good! Puffed rice was a clever textural counterpoint. Shishitos are hard to elevate and they managed, though the ceiling still isn’t super high.

CURED ALBACORE, b&b vinaigrette, green tomato, sumac

Really excellent flavor & texture combinations. The vinaigrette seemed to be, uh, fish sauce & lime? Which worked well with the albacore and sumac, to be clear. Tomatoes had the correct level of “not-quite-ripe” firmness to offset the soft albacore.

CHICORY SALAD, “honey mustard” vinaigrette, smoked pecans, goat gouda, apple

Salad was pretty massive. Tasty, a bit reminiscent of Angler’s radicchio (what with the sweet & bitter dressing). Could’ve used more pecans, those were great.

SMOKED BEEF SIRLOIN, bbq fennel, sarsaparilla jus, gomasio

Maybe my favorite dish of the night, though my dining companions had other favorites. Beef itself was cooked to a perfect pink, and the jus & fennel were both incredible. This would make an amazing sandwich filling.

MANILA CLAMS, andouille sausage, coors banquet, texas toast

I’m not big on clams but they played really well with the beer & sausage. I’m not a huge fan of any of the components individually, so the fact that I enjoyed the dish as a whole speaks to the success at executing on the synergy.

PEE WEE POTATOES, cheddar sour cream gravy, crispy shallots, parsley

First bite made me happy but I was getting pretty full so hard to judge fairly. I’ve definitely had better potatoes in LA but my preferences lean to the fried so that’s probably just a stylistic judgment.

PINEAPPLE SORBET, eucalyptus, sweet herbs

Pineapple & eucalyptus were shockingly good together. Much, much better than I was expecting from a sorbet.

From the regular menu, we also ordered:

QUESO FUNDIDO, smoked longaniza, onions, oaxacan cheese, flour tortillas

I don’t have a baseline to work from here but the fact that a dish that was like 90% cheese didn’t feel overwhelming to eat is already a win. I would’ve had more but I forgot my lactaid at home. Tortillas were served pretty hot (which is good). There was an awesome layer of crispy/caramelized cheese at the bottom of the pan to scrape out, too.

OYSTER POT PIE, seasonal oysters, mushrooms, bacon, leeks

Very much not my thing. Pie crust was great though. Probably good if you like that sort of thing.

We also got some additional desserts:

BAKED ALASKA, strawberry, sour cream, brown sugar

It seemed to be marshmallow rather than meringue (clever, and it worked). Strawberry sorbet(?) was good. Interesting and worth a try but not my first pick.

(not on the online menu) CARROT CAKE

Never had carrot cake before (always expected it to, uh, taste like carrots), but this was a great introduction. Would eat again.

(not on the online menu) APPLE PIE A LA MODE

Almost as good as the apple pie was at HLAY, which means it’s worth ordering.

Nearly everyone at the table had a drink. After tip & tax it was a little over $100/head. We were all really hungry since we reserved a pretty late timeslot; if you ate at a reasonable hour and skipped the drinks the base dineLA meal would probably be enough for most people (but the queso was tasty and also very filling so that’d be a good supplement if you wanted one).

Really happy I came and really sad I don’t live in the neighborhood.

11 Likes

A BIG thanks to @T3t for the All Day Baby DineLA intel !!!

I initially passed this up because I thought it was a 3 course prix fixe, but as T3t pointed out, it’s a 7 course menu for $55. Since the ADB 7 course tasting was already well described above, I’ll spare everyone my write up, but here’s a collage of all seven dishes along with the menu.

Got there early on Sunday to catch HH - I got a $6 Beef Jalapeño corn dog. From the regular bar and resto menus I ordered the $15 ADB Painkiller cocktail (rum, passionfruit, :tangerine: and :coconut:, etc) and some Hush Puppies ($8) - only ate 2 and Tupperwared the rest for breakfast at home. Instead of being sweet and cake-like, the HPs, were savory and heftier, but complimented by the smoked maple butter.

The HH bar menu is on the short side, but the offerings seem very good - the Jalapeño Cheddar Beef Corn Dog hit the spot so I’ll definitely plan on going back for the rest of the HH menu.

I read criticisms in the Angler thread about the sundae dessert, but it’s really expensive for restaurants to have a dedicated pastry chef on the team. However, at All Day Baby, which is set up as a diner from AM to PM, there’s a pastry chef who puts out a strong baked goods and desserts program.

Before sitting down for Happy Hour and DineLA dinner, I went over to the bakery counter and purchased a mini mixed berry pie $10 and a mini banana :banana: cream pie $10. After paying, they boxed my pies and kept them in the refrigerator case with a note to give them to me after diner. The mini chocolate cream pie with Vietnamese coffee also looked so tempting, but I’ll have to get that one on a future visit.

After finishing the 7 course DineLA dinner, I also ordered the Baked Alaska $13 - the interplay of slightly tart strawberry sorbet with sour cream brown sugar ice cream, bottom crust and meringue (seemed cooked not raw) was great! To be quite honest, I thought this was eons better than the “Popcorn Situation” dessert I had at Girl and the Goat in DTLA a few weeks ago.

Loved the down to earth Front of House and Bar staff and the food by the former Animal and Son of a Gun chef. Really underrated place eclipsed by the buzz for flashy newcomer resto openings - I’m looking forward to going back many times for Breakfast, Lunch, Snack or Dinner.

15 Likes

Peony: I went to the restaurant without knowing anything about it. The decoration somehow gave me a sports bar feel, so I was expecting the food to be more like pizzas, sandwiches, and fries. However, the food exceeded my expectations. The dishes were cleverly designed and nicely prepared. They were also very tasty and flavorful. I enjoyed everything tonight. Given that Warrior revealed to me that this restaurant is associated with Here’s Looking at You, I couldn’t help making a comparison. I think the dishes from Here’s Looking at You were even more creative and bold, and one step above this restaurant’s dishes. But I feel All Day Baby did a good job.

Warrior: This was a solid place that I’d return to once every 18 months or so. Good ingredients with interesting flavors. My favorite dish was the chicory salad, which tasted like it was flavored with mustard oil. But I was annoyed by the tendon-y cut of albacore for the crudo. Not as good as nearby Eszett in the same price range. Not as good as I remember HLAY being. I preferred last night’s dinner at Botanica as well. Good for the area.

1 Like

Bang bang suggestions besides el ruso / needle?

quarter sheets
konbi
courage
daybird
be u
desano
found oyster

8 Likes

Northern Thai Food Club
Doubting Thomas

6 Likes

Tsubaki