Al's Italian Beef, Alhambra

Why you so hellbent on changing my opinion.

I know what I like and Im not gonna hide behind a word like “variation” to be politically correct or polite. If one pork has less crispy skin, has a more tender texture, juicier meat over the other I think I know l what I prefer. Is that to say the less well made version is completely devoid of value? No, just that is has less worth on my personal scale. Its just humam self interest. I will always want the best version for my time/money if you discount ego/pride.

A little ironic don’t you think to accuse someone of trying to change your opinion when you fired the first salvo with “bastardized cuisine”. I’ll quote you right here: don’t take offense bro.

yet another nonsense term this board could do without.

Um, no offense taken. Im enjoying myself here. Im not trying to change any opinions just defending mine. You are the one whose making this thread go far off topic now, thus this banter is no longer fun for me.

Agreed. Looking forward to trying your Singaporean and Chinese inspired hainan chicken soon!

WHOA WHOA WHOA let’s not even go there, buddy!

1 Like

That’s my point :wink:

I’ll admit I didn’t quite read through the entirety of your exchange w/ @JLee, but I sort of agree w/ him/her. For me, it’s that I grew up w/ certain renditions of an item and, whether irrational or not, that’s what’s been defined as the “right” taste and appearance for a specific dish. Some Filipino items are SO close to what I grew up w/ but the taste and look is JUST off enough to render the dish as an inferior version, rather than as its own unique creation (IMO).

I also have the impression that Filipino cuisine doesn’t necessarily emphasize the sourcing of high-quality ingredients (which may or may not apply to Chinese food).

My East Indian friend says that she has a similar reaction to Ethiopian food (esp b/c of the use of injera and the lack of utensils).

Exactly. Now look at from a Filipino point of view and what they grew up with. They might feel the same way about certain Chinese dishes. What’s “correct” is simply POV in this case. And what if what you grew up with at home was the outlier?

I have the same reaction to Ethiopian food as your friend.

But I’m careful not to write off the cuisine of an entire culture/country based on my personal preferences.

1 Like

No, I agree w/ you on this. But taste and memory can be linked to such powerful and primitive emotions that I actually it’s okay for me personally to write off a cuisine (esp since I’m not a professional chef/food journalist/etc.). Or, at least, certain dishes w/i a cuisine. :wink: And, yes, that might be my loss. But I certainly wouldn’t necessarily publicize that I’m writing it off. :wink: And I wouldn’t expect anyone else to feel the same way.

1 Like

The Italian Beef is back on the menu at A Cut Above Butcher. Not quite as superlative as I recall, but still very tasty and definitely worth a try.

1 Like