Amandine to start serving dinner

Was at Amandine yesterday to pick up a tuna melt for lunch (tasty enough) and noticed a sign that mentioned that they’ll be starting dinner service on 03/28. I didn’t have much of a chance to look at the menu (which isn’t on-line), but I think I saw steak frites and pasta primavera (among about 10 or so choices). I asked the cashier about expanded hours; she said that they’ll be open until 8PM. I’ll probably give it a try on Thurs or Fri…

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. It seems like they have been busier since the remodel and quality is about the same. Amandine is nothing to go out of the way for but it is a good neighborhood place.

That’s absolutely the way I feel about it, too. I literally live a block away, so it’ll be a nice addition to the dinner rotation (although it’d be nicer if they opened until 9PM!). I have mixed feelings about their breakfast/lunch menu, so it’ll be interesting to see how dinner pans out…

My mom is across the alley from them, I’ll get a croissant or pastry and a coffee. The Croque monsieur isn’t bad for breakfast.

Hmmm… very interesting news! I, too, have mixed feelings about their breakfast and lunch menus, but I do enjoy the turkey avocado and egg salad sandwiches.

I like their “melt” sandwiches. The white bread (which they apparently do in-house) is, in my mind, rather unexceptional unless it’s toasted/griddled/whatever. The salads have nice greens and the dressing is pleasant. The pastries are good enough for the price; I’ve never had any of the cakes. I think I might’ve had the french toast once on @nosh’s rec (I think that’s who it was). It was pretty good.

For me, the real miss are the omelettes (exceedingly bland). I also don’t like how the allow people to purchase baguettes that seem like they just came from the oven.

For a sandwich the way to go is request on a baguette instead of the white bread (which is much better toasted as you say).

The tarts really are pretty good and might be what they do best.

1 Like

Yes, Amandine’s pain de mie has a “tight crumb,” which is usually associated with cheaper bread but is better for grilled sandwiches like a melt. However, I’m not gonna front… I like it for cold sandwiches, too. Sort of like higher quality Wonderbread lol.

Do they sell it on it’s own? Might be nice for french toast at home

You know, it’s funny, I’ve bought pastries many times from Amandine, but never their bread. However, I have repurposed the bread that came with my Cesar Salad for grilled cheese.

I haven’t been to Amandine in a few years but from what I recall it’s very similar to the bakeries in Japan. It’s the Japanese interpretation of the French patisserie. Food in general is very lightly flavored and possibly bland to the American palate who seem to prefer bolder flavors. In fact, the advertise in Japanese with flyers at the local grocers like Mitsuwa, Nijiya and Marukai.

1 Like

So I tried it. Linguini bolongese and ratatouille:

It was… okay? The bolongese was a bit dry, and the pasta had a curious (but not unpleasant) buttery flavor. It fills the need when I want pasta in walking distance, and the price isn’t horrible ($12, I think?). Still, it taste suspiciously similar to the stuff my dad used to make when I growing up, and my dad is not a skilled cook…

I thought ratatouille was supposed to be layered? No layers here at all. Flavor was fine, but there was nothing particularly interesting about it.

If you’re w/i walking distance, it’s fine, but I can’t say I’d drive even just a few miles out of my way for it. Still, I’m glad to have it as a nearby option.

@trolley: I’ve eaten a fair amount of Japanese pastries in my time, so I’m familiar w/ the flavor profile. Amandine still “misses” (even vs. what I get at other, less conflicted Japanese bakeries), and I’m not quite sure how less to describe it. At most Japanese bakeries, you get the sense that the “lightness” was a conscious choice. At Amandine, you sometimes get the impression that they just don’t “get” food (or, at least, aren’t keeping pace w/ the increased quality and options in the area)…

My mom thinks the same thing about Amandine that somehow it misses the mark. I’ve only gotten their strawberry cake for a birthday many moons ago and I was happy with it. But I don’t think it can hold a candle to Patisserie Chantilly in the south bay. However, it did fill that need for me on the westside where my family lives. And I do wonder why they added dinner? A demand for dinner? A chef’s desire? Need to pay the rent? I wish sometimes places would just stick to what they do best instead of over diversifying.

Ratatouille is a braised vegetable dish first dry heat (saute/fry ect) then stewed together. It can be layered but doesn’t have to be.

@trolley their Cakes and Tarts are def what they do best

Is there some sort of platonic ideal for what the texture of the veggies in a ratatouille should be? These were definitely cooked through but still quite firm…

Soft, but each with there own texture due to the cooking them with dry heat first. When it’s made right it should have a nice burst of sweetness from the onion, red peppers and tomatoes and some body from the zucchini and eggplant. Goes great with fish or even eggs.

That’s my perception, too. Japanese/French. In fact, I think it was owned and managed by a Japanese guy for years.

@paranoidgarliclover, thanks for taking one for the team! I think you’re right, mediocre bolognese is going to be a tough sell in that neighborhood, especially with Milo & Olive right down the street.

Interesting. Especially the use of linguine with that sauce!:sob:

@Bigmouth: I like the pasta at Milo and Olive, but I do wish they would toss their thinner pastas in some olive oil to prevent clumping.

@Novelli: choice of pata might’ve made more of a difference had their been more sauce. :frowning:

The place nearby I really want to try for pasta is this:
http://www.malbeccuisine.com/santa-monica/dinner-menu

Has anyone tried the pastas at the other locations?

1 Like

Looks promising. Thanks for the rec!