Amazing Salmon Belly, Oil-Cured Sardines, Lox, Herring and Rockin' Breakfast! - Gjusta

Do they serve wine, beer or sell bottles? Asking for a friend.

yes

3 Likes

Duh, look it up TheCookie! Thanks!

Has anyone tried the Soups (available till 10 PM):
Chicken Dumpling
Minestrone
Pozole Verde

Hi @CiaoBob,

Yes. I love their Chicken & Dumpling soup. I posted pics in the very 1st post above. Just scroll down a bit.

The Pozole, I thought Iā€™ve tried before but canā€™t find the pics for it, but remembered it being pretty good.

Havenā€™t tried the Minestrone yet. Maybe our other FTC Gjusta Club members have?

1 Like

Thanks for the reminder - it (the chicken dumpling soup) does look terrific.

All three soups are goodā€“of these three, I think the Pozole has the most going on but tend to get Minestrone more as a better match with most of the mains I wind up ordering; however, I have been desperately urging them (thus far in vain) to bring back the excellent pea soup with ham they had a couple of years ago.

1 Like

Yes! And also donā€™t forget about their great French Onion Soup as well. :slight_smile: Maybe theyā€™ll bring that back when it gets to Winter?

I eat the pozole regularly. I ask them to make it mostly broth because it is so good. Tart, slightly spicy, herbal. Itā€™s an excellent soup. The hominy is great too, not too chewy, a bit of crunch. One of my favorite soups in L.A.

5 Likes

I did not know where else to post, and I did not feel like creating a new topic. But Iā€™m really jonesing but not to the point that Iā€™m willing to fly anything out from New York. Has anyone anyone seen lox?

It was one of the strangest things to me moving out here from the East Coast, to not be able to find lox. There were a couple places, but alas they are out of business. Smoked salmon everywhere, a.k.a. nova, but belly lox is impossible to find. Has anyone run into it?

Itā€™s one of those things, like the New York eggroll, that you just cannot find in this city.

Just go to a Russian Deli. Arbat for example

1 Like

Really? They have belly lox? This is a revelation!!!

Maybe im not aware of the distinction and hopefully I lead to the right path but our shops do have selections of cured and smoked fish

Belly lox and smoked salmon slices are not interchangeable, although Iā€™m not familiar myself w/ the distinction. I looked it previously when there was either an FTC or CH thread where some posters were specifically looking for belly lox, which is apparently a rare thing (at least in LA).

1 Like

Exactly.

Restaurants are trying to pull a fast one, trying to use Lox interchangeable with smoked salmon or Nova. Even Russ and Daughters is trying to do that.

Lox is cured. Not smoked. Nova is smoked salmon typically with a bit of brown sugar in the rub.

In the days of yore, if you went to a deli, they would have lox and nova on the menu. And nova was always more expensive. No more.

2 Likes

What about Jewish delis, do they have the lox youā€™re after? Try Greenblattā€™s for example

Nope. They only have nova. Though they are honest about it and actually call it nova on their menu.

The only two delis I know of that served it here were Juniors in Westwood and Abeā€™s in Northridge. I think the Stage Deli Iā€™m Century City did, too.

Iā€™m going to check the Russian deli anyway, just to see what theyā€™ve got. So thatā€™s a great suggestion though. Thank you.

I forgot to mention, @paranoidgarliclover, that lox also is typically made from the belly. So often times it will also be called ā€œbelly loxā€

2 Likes

Labelā€™s Table offers cured belly lox on Pico.

2 Likes

Thank you!! they stopped serving belly lox like three or four years ago. They do nova now, but still call it lox despite their old primer.

I forgot, that I used to get it there at the location in Tarzana and also the one in Woodland Hills.

Please report back! Itā€™s been a while since Iā€™ve been there myself.

1 Like