And the Award Goes to?

Shut out

The final list of nominees for the 2016 Beard Awards

Well, it’s no dishonor to be a nominee for this award and not win. It was great that SD had three on the first cut.

For a city like San Diego, this should be seen as a badge of honor.

Kinda like the Padres and Chargers are a badge of honor???:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Is this the same attitude that so many American parents have when they tell their kids that a second and third place is actually as good as a first place ? Sorry you can do this with very young kids (and even than not too often) but if you grow older (also as a city) it is more helpful for the future to realize that being “honorable” mentioned means nothing and only realizing how far you are from the top helps you to motivate to become better and win.

I have about 20+ Manzanita trees on my property and I heard your not allowed to cut the beautiful trees down, because a lot of them are extremely rare.
I am a certified ‘tree hugger’ and couldn’t imagine ever cutting them down but wonder where they get the manzanita to burn for firewood?

I had to have a tree cut down (diseased) and I called my tree guy and when he was cutting it down, I was crying my eyes out and he said of all the years he’s been cutting down trees, he’s never seen anyone cry about cutting down a tree!
I told him how sad is that…everyone should cry when a tree is cut down!
:evergreen_tree::hugging::princess:

Yes there’s a Manzanita forrest very near my house. You are only allowed by law to collect unattached dead-wood. With our heavy drought years recently, there unfortunately has been an abundance of deadwood lying on the ground.

No, the James Beard Foundation is like one big outdated boys club, like when Augusta used to be exclusive of blacks and females.

Not being invited to the club did not mean you were a bad golfer, just meant that you weren’t the kind of golfer the club accepted.

It’s the same thing with the James Beard Foundation. Not winning an award, or even being a finalist, does not mean either the chef in question or the restaurant at issue is either insignificant or unworthy. Simply means that those chefs/restauranteurs are not the kind of culinary artists that the JBF considers appropriate.

If Tiger Woods played in the 1950s, he wouldn’t be able to get into Augusta, but no one would doubt his golf supremacy. In fact, if anything, his exclusion from the course would bring him more notoriety than his inclusion would.

Open table has named J&I and Kettner Exchange to the list of top 100 hottest restaurants in the US.

100 Best 2016

So tempted to throw out a snarky response to Honkman, but I’ll be nice.

Come on - stop this American BS with politically correctness and tell us what you really think

1 Like

It’s not political correctness as much as a “too soon” thing, as well as being horrifically off topic. LOL

Isn’t this board about “horrifically off topic” ?

I have my limits.

Really, didn’t have the impression so far. You seem to get older, soon you will stop drinking beer since you want to live healthy and a week later you will become vegetarian and stop posting completely (Must be the bad influence from living in SF)

I’m back in San Diego full time now, and oddly enough I have stopped drinking. You must have a sixth sense.

Why, oh why ?

1 Like

Very odd! And unfortunate. I was just going to ask you to have a brew with me​:beers::wink:

Two of my favorite quotes from my good friend and occasional drinking buddy . . .

“You know, I feel great when I don’t drink, but I feel better when I do.”

“Look, if you have to find an excuse to drink, just find one.”

It’ healtier for the both of us that he lives in a different state now (literally and figuratively). Were both still recovering from our reunion trip to Vail in Feb.

1 Like

Awesome your back in SD, RB!!!
:rainbow: