Angelo’s Pizzeria South Philly

I thought this place will probably deserves its own thread.

From my research it seems like Angelo’s has some of the best pizza (round, square, upside down), cheesesteaks, hoagies, and cutlet sandwiches. That is pretty damn impressive for a small shop in South Philly.

Any tips for getting a order in? It seems like they only take phone orders. Anyone not get a order in?

Can’t wait to try this place. This is one of my top places to try in Philly. Since I am in the neighborhood I might make a return visit to South Philly Barbacoa and Isgro. Or maybe try Casa Mexico (same owner as South Philly Barbacoa).

2 Likes

If you’re visiting this weekend, another S. Philly bang option to consider. Ramadan break fast at Bok Bar

2 Likes

Missed it but I am considering banging it with Kalaya Thai which is basically next door to Angelo’s. That looks like some really good Thai

1 Like

@JeetKuneBao when does Angelo generally close? Not many good options that are open past 8pm in City Center. Feels like I’ll have to hike to other parts for a later night dinner. Most of the Salomonov places are lunch only.

1 Like

Hard to say with Angelo’s. Once they are done they are done. They can close up shop early depending how busy it is that day.

They open at 11am. Looks like they are now taking walk ins from the recent Yelp reviews. Before you had to call in. I don’t know for sure if they are doing phone orders for pickups.

1 Like

There is also Kalaya down the block. You can do reservations there online.

Pizzeria Vetri. I had to come straight from the airport since everything near City Center closes at 9pm.

The pizza was good not great. The pepperoni was very greasy and would have liked a little more crisp on top. Had to take off some pepperoni. I think they should use 50% of the pepperoni and I know saying this is sacrilege. Undercarriage was nice. The dough lacked flavor. I’d take Fuoco in Fullerton over Vetri any day of the week.

Really enjoyed the smoky charred veggies. Sweet snap peas, carrots, asparagus and green onions.

3 Likes

Sorry @JeetKuneBao dont mean to hijack this thread but didn’t want to start a new topic. Had an excellent meal at Barbuzzo which is across the street from Van Leewun.

The pizza at Barbuzzo was better than Vetri. The gnocchi with mushrooms and peas was soft pillowy goodness. A great sauce. Asparagus with a spicy tahini dressing with almonds, mint and cilantro. Really great smokey flavor balanced with the acidity and freshness.

4 Likes

The food looks great! You have to at least get a cheesesteak or hoagie before you go to NYC.

2 Likes

Didn’t get a chance to get either but I’ll be back soon.