Angler - Beverly Center

Some of those are marked up only 2X retail, surprising given some of their markups are more like 3X.

1 Like

Love this one!

1 Like

Ended up getting two bottles of the muscateller it was a hit with the whole table and the somm was impressed by our choice thanks for the rec @robert and @beam

Muller-Catoir is always a safe bet. You’re paying for proven quality and consistency.

1 Like

Managed to reserve a table for 10 last Sunday; thanks for email rec, @PorkyBelly.

Beet and Radicchio were really something - very much Saison-level dishes. Apple pie was a sleeper hit - excellent crust, apples weren’t too sweet (and they didn’t add to much sugar); very much to my family’s taste (Soviets, lol). Milk soft serve was also incredible. Wish I’d brought some lactaid so I could have more than a bite. Everything else was “good to great”.

Boar is stupid good QPR. Notwithstanding that three of the ten don’t eat pork, it was a huge amount of food - there were at least a couple pounds leftover. Not sure what the deal with that is (are they getting it for free? How on Earth can they justify the margin that takes away from other mains? Compare the 24oz steak at $174 to the boar at $180…).

Service was actually somewhat more haphazard than I expected. There were a few hiccups when I was trying to order tea for the table (and get refills later)… a couple other minor issues too. It goes without saying that it was still a step above most places in LA, and I really appreciated that they let me sit down at the table when I arrived first and everyone else was late (the “whole party only” shtick is pretty annoying, especially with reservations), but I may have had miscalibrated expectations from Saison (and the reviews here).

All in it was ~120 a head (including tax and mandatory gratuity). We didn’t drink a lot - 5 cocktails and a $40 bottle of wine for 10 people - but most of the table had tea and dessert. The boar definitely did a lot of work for the budget :slight_smile:

I want to go back and have a beet and radicchio to myself (and take an Uber, so I can actually try the cocktails).

8 Likes

@Omotesando as our resident ambiance connoisseur and pescatarian i would think this place is right up your alley, despite it being located inside a mall parking lot. once you’re inside it’s pretty comfortable, with spaced out tables, elegant tableware, lively but not too loud atmosphere, and some of the best service in la. and the food isn’t bad either.

angler reserve caviar

roasted banana peel butter

banana pancake

the best fish taco you’ll ever have
@Chowseeker1999, @TheCookie, @attran99, @NYCtoLA, @foodshutterbug, @Hungrydrunk, @A5KOBE, @formersushichef

ooe - kumamoto (sheldon, wa), kusshi (vancouver island, bc), shigoku (willapa bay, wa), beausoleil (miramichi bay, nb)

big eye tuna
served with a tomato gelee on top of the tuna tartare

nori rice cracker

sweet chicory caesar
delicious

(new) grilled santa barbara squid
seasoned with sichuan peppercorns that tingled the senses

(new) grilled chicory rosa
a bit too bitter for me

(new) whole grilled porgy
perfectly cooked with a crispy, crackly skin

coconut lemongrass sauce

(new) creamsicle
citrus-y and not too sweet, nice and refreshing.

frozen chocolate bar

13 Likes

Hi @PorkyBelly,

Thanks! Looks like another great meal. :slight_smile: Glad you liked the Sweet Chicory Caesar, so good! :slight_smile:

I definitely need to try their Reserve Caviar next time. :blush: And the Whole Grilled Porgy also. Thanks.

1 Like

Looks amazing. I’ve been meaning to go forever. Definitely on my agenda when I get back in town.

So interesting!

Also free valet parking right in front of the restaurant too!

2 Likes

Was Sergio in the house?

no

:heart_eyes: :crazy_face:

I guess I’ll have to try that banana-caviar mashup one of these days, even though it sounds like one of the worst ideas ever.

2 Likes

A server in a fitted jacket stands at our table at Angler, a 3-month-old luxury seafood restaurant in the Beverly Center, leaning over a small wooden cart. His object of focus is a palm-sized banana pancake — flavored with ripe banana but also other banana iterations, including a powder made by drying the fruit above the blazes in the kitchen’s massive hearth. He smears butter infused with barbecued banana peels over the flapjack. The taste of banana has now blasted into the fourth spatial dimension. Then he reaches for the caviar.

The California white sturgeon roe, cured in barbecue salt, is $69 per ounce. We’re in the hedonism zone, though honestly that’s not an insane price for quality caviar. The server spoons a few inky, heaping tablespoons over the pancake and then instructs me to eat it by hand; butter seeps between my fingers as I lift it up. Smokiness winds among the sweet and salty flavors. The pancake squishes silkily; the caviar pops. This is a ridiculous thing to eat. I’m so happy.

That’s so crazy, lol. But it’s inventive and not safe, so if I’m ever around there at 6 p.m., I will go and plop myself onto a bar seat and call out, “Chef, tonight I desire bananas and fish eggs! With an appropriate glass of wine!” :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Interesting to know what they recommend to drink with that.

Henriot, Blanc de Banes, Champagne, Reims

is what they recommended

What’s Blanc de Banes?

White from bathroom? Oh wait thats bain

3 Likes