Angler - Beverly Center

Is that the same crab they’ve had since opening?

I’m glad it was packed, I would hate to lose this kind of restaurant.

It looks the same. Smug.

1 Like

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2f5Wg-J9KY/?igshid=8e1c5luqefob

Ridiculous

2 Likes

dunno who this dude is but i like him

I hate it when video titles sensationalize things like “3 Michelin star chef”.

First of all michelin stars are awards to the restaurant not the chef. Also those 3 stars having nothing to do with Angler. Also Saison lost a star anyway. Sorry for the off topic complaint but this is what I hate about food social media these days, everything has to be hyped up, isn’t it enough that its a video of a guy eating a thousand dollar crab?

1 Like

Yes and yes (and trust me I think there are a ton of flaws with the Michelin system, @sffood), but I believe the stars “go with the chef” if s/he departs.

No. The stars, Plate, and Bib Gourmand are for the restaurant. When a chef leaves, the rating may change, e.g. Saison dropped from three stars to two after Laurent Gras took over.

Well you are right in that when there is a change of chefs sometimes the star goes away, but not with the chef.

Yes what you said. Thank you for your eloquence.

Or the new chef may get more stars, as happened at Coi when Daniel Patterson left.

1. Very much agree!
  2. Michelin stars are wildly inconsistent in the past few years, particularly in the United States - I believe this corresponds in part to Michelin trying to keep up with the rapid expansion of foodie culture, and not being in a great place to judge all the restaurants in the way they do, but they do it anyway, sometimes without the requisite discernment.
  3. At the end of the day, so what about Michelin? It’s more for travelers and media hype. Local people who dine around can tell what is at a certain level.
  4. I just learned what “Mukbang” is, and it is disturbing how this cultural phenomenon of voyeurism and the cult of attention can actually be something (what a weird frame of mind to decide to film one self eating, for the purported enjoyment of others).
  5. Back to the food at Angler, which is what this thread is about…

Recently I’ve sensed a shift towards Chinese flavors in a few dishes - well, the cordyceps of course, but also the “grilled striped bass” which is topped with a Szechuan peppercorn and peanut sauce. The charred Chinese eggplant, too - when I ate this with some other, spicy dishes, the eggplant dish reminded me of a Cantonese claypot dish (alternatively, it could pass for some robatayaki alone).

Also, the new Angler potato wedges are much better than the original “mille-feuille” version, which was too starchy in the middle. The texture is much more consistent with the wedges.

The caviar with banana butter pancake is good but not nearly as great as the caviar dishes at Saison. It tasted like warm banana, butter, and caviar to me, just as it sounds. Texture was very good, but the flavors did not meld in some great combination like I expected, given how great chef Josh is with caviar. However, it is relatively quite inexpensive per ounce. At least compared to other caviar, elsewhere, or some of the more expensive ingredients on Angler’s menu.

Has anyone tried the special pre-order wild boar? I’m curious how many diners it is intended for.

It’s $180 and meant for 4-6 people.

3 Likes

Are there any pictures of the wild boar? That sounds very tempting…

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz6sesehNPz/

1 Like

:heart_eyes:

4-6 is an understatement, I had it with a group of five and three of us went home with over a lb of meat. Although we ordered 5-6 other dishes, the flounder and the rest were the smaller dishes.

how was it?

Re: the shift towards Chinese flavors.

Both Mark Bright and Joshua Skenes are married to Chinese speakers (at least one of them are Taiwanese if I am not mistaken). Two of Saison’s investors are Taiwanese as well. There’s also a company that recently filmed and are promoting the produce in Taiwan (and Angler/Saison) which also has vested interests…and the latest video doing the rounds is Skenes using pineapples from Taiwan to make a dish for Angler. So this shift is not surprising.