Angler - Beverly Center

I figured it was some typo but wasn’t sure if it was something I wasn’t aware of.

Whatever it is I looked it up and it sounds delicious.

Stopped in last night as I hadn’t been in a while. I love sitting at that bar.

Finally tried the caviar and pancake. It’s like salty banana bread. Incredible. That banana peel butter!

Simple Salad. Simple, as the name suggests.

Barbecue Squab with citrus glaze

My attempt at the duck leg and salanova salad from pasjoli

Creamsicle for dessert

10 Likes

How was the squab?

1 Like

It was great. A well-cooked bird. Fun cracking away at the char on the legs. I ate one half with my hands and sliced up the other half for the salad. Bartender was great about bringing me hot towels to clean up with.

$48.

Had a glass of Barbera aged in Amphora with the squab. Perfect

3 Likes

thanks looks great, i was sad it wasn’t on the menu on my last visit. was it a special?

It was on the limited availability menu. I didn’t ask if it was a recurring protein but it wasn’t off menu.

That sucks you missed it. When I saw it I knew that’s what I was getting, even if I pretended like I was making a decision between other proteins.

2 Likes

Who ages Barbera in amphorae?

Barbera D’Asti, Andrea Scovero, Amphora, Piedmont 2016

I wouldn’t have guessed amphora going in blind but it was great. The wine was very settled, soft and warm - all in the best way possible. I also had to google specifically for the Amphora Barbera to find it. General “Barbera Andrea Scovero” searches turned up no mention of Amphora, even in little bio’s.

The use of amphora seems to be increasingly common, you even see it in Bordeaux nowadays. 2016 Flaccianello was the first vintage to age some of the sangiovese in it too.

I want to steal this spoon. And an octopus salt S.jpeg)

@PorkyBelly @ipsedixit That car is velvet covered, you guys should each get one. Some homies were petting it, I didn’t know why, so I petted it too.

Edit: I accidentally ordered two shrimp. Apparently they come one per order, lol. I’m not really loving them. The outside is hard and charred, the inside is a combination of undercooked, yet tough. Plus the crispy antenna on the heads were stabbing my mouth. I usually love shrimp heads. :frowning:

Edit 2: An obnoxious young women rear-ended my Uber as I was on my way home and didn’t even ask if we were okay! She simply asked the guy for his insurance and was on the phone with I don’t know who. I have a giant bump on my head from being slammed against the side window, plus I bit through part of my bottom lip and had to swallow blood for a couple of minutes as she was being condescending to this really nice young Uber guy.

I’m fine, it’s no big deal, I used to play sports, so I don’t care, but I seriously wanted to smack her. Which I didn’t.

12 Likes

What is the sauce that the prawns are sitting on?

Some chili and garlic. I gave the second prawn to some guy at the bar, and he gave me some of his Parker rolls. Good trade.

1 Like

File a claim against Uber and the woman that rear ended you.

5 Likes

Oof

I don’t think I could go to Angler without ordering the rolls.

1 Like

no banana pancake?

did you see squab on the menu?

I didn’t see either of those things. I’m going back, though. I want to try the salads. I will keep an eye out for da pancakes. You always recommend such great places. I wish they opened maybe an hour earlier. I had to sit at Yardbird for an hour sipping incredibly good margaritas and watching Blue Planet until Angler opened.

1 Like

i believe it’s listed as the “angler reserve caviar” on the menu. basically an ounce of caviar with a banana pancake that you eat like a taco.

just say “Chef, tonight I desire bananas and fish eggs!”

https://ftcsfo3digitaloceanspaces.b-cdn.net/uploads/default/original/3X/9/0/90f9071fbac43ead26d1abc3f822f6d0db48bb6a.jpeg

https://www.lamag.com/digestblog/best-dish/

5 Likes

…Banana Vodka

1 Like