Angler - Beverly Center

Suck it up for FTC. Come on now!

$288 for truffle toast. Holy fuck, what a money grab. Starting the deathwatch now.

3 Likes

Google how much 2 oz (which is how much is given) of Australian black winter truffle cost.

2 Likes

2oz is a lot of truffles, I seriously doubt you get that much on the toast.

It served around 6 people

Ok $288 is a good deal in that case. 0 retail markup

$85/oz. Is there uni on it too?

https://www.mikuniwildharvest.com/shop/product/fresh-australian-black-winter-truffle/

Plus shipping. So you’re basically asking if there was free Uni… that would be a no.

no, i was genuinely asking. their instagram post says you can get it with uni or truffles or both. if it came with uni i can see how it can cost so much. do you remember how much the uni toast was?

i hope it really does serve 6 and not like how my fish serves 2.

https://www.instagram.com/p/By8wnpwhBum/

Disappointingly, uni was not on the menu when I went. It’d probably cost around $400 if you could get the two combined.

1 Like

I’m not sure how much I trust a guy who complains that it was “impossible to order” bc only the main ingredient is listed on menu.

1 Like

I tried the ripe fruit plate. It was really interesting. The melon was almost translucent. Jackfruit approaching the ripeness of prune. Very nice peaches and some other fruits I can’t remember.

I preferred the milk soft serve sundae.

I really didn’t think anything was wildly over priced (or over priced)

Did you get any strawberries? The ones I got were better than any I have had anywhere is the US. Unsure what kind they were though, they were definitely better than the Harry’s Berry’s you can get at the FM (restaurants usually get better choices so that may be the case if they are HB). Only thing I found to be overpriced was the king crab at $888. Although smaller increments of the crab were also available. Full, half, and 1/6th were the sizes available, with the 1/6th prices at $98 IICR.

I found street parking on Robertson, north of Beverly (close to Petrossian). Petrossian looked good, so I actually ate there instead.

4 Likes

Two ounces isn’t a lot of Tuber melanosporum. It would be 5-6 decent shavings of Tuber magnatum Pico.

did you order the marble fish? does anybody know anything about it? bing is not much help. is it rare or crazy expensive like nodoguro? again i’m genuinely asking, trying to figure out if $88 is a fair price or if i got ripped off. @beefnoguy?

it seems overpriced to me compared to the $60 whole petrale sole i got at the sf angler and the $72 whole european dover sole at republique. both larger than the marble fish and enough for 2.

1 Like

okay found the following when searching for “marbled sole” and “marbled flounder”. if that’s what i got i guess it is “very expensive”.

https://www.thesushigeek.com/the-sushi-geek/2016/09/12/mako-garei-真子鰈-marbled-sole

Yea. You got the fish right. They told us it was a marbled flounder. Pricing wise I thought it was in line with Dover sole across the pond.

Yea. Got strawberries. I didn’t get to try one. My friends at it all. I was just amazed at the ripeness of the jackfruit and the translucent shine of the melon.

Re: king crab. Guess that is pricier. But hard to compare pricing when so few (do any?) western places do live king crab

1 Like

It seems to be one of the most prized fish for Koreans, I believe. You can get it live at Korean markets, forget how much exactly it is but remember it being very expensive for whole fish.