Angler - Beverly Center

I too am very curious and look forward to your report. It strikes me as a place where you must order the right kind of sake, have their house cured/made pickles/chinmi, and basically treat the place like a real kappo/sake bar than a full blown restaurant. The entrees seem entirely at random, so just load up on apps.

And they are also the only place in town now where they carry Den (Den Sake Brewery, Oakland). I was told someone makes the trek frequently between Oakland and LA/Shibumi, just to ensure Shibumi stocks Denā€¦thatā€™s dedication!

As far as Angler goesā€¦ while I have yet to go to the one in SF, friends in the know have told me a similar approachā€¦get a bunch of apps, perhaps raw shellfish/seafood bar, skip the entrees.

1 Like

Ok. In that case, here are the big takeaways:

1. Go on a Tue/Wed when the FOH team can give you more attention
  2. ONLY sit at the bar (doesnā€™t necessarily have to be in front of Chef)
  3. Drink alcohol. As mentioned in the Chang/Skenes podcast, the menu is best enjoyed with booze.
  4. Reach out to the people behind the bar. They are knowledgeable and passionate (some about wine, others about sake, others about cocktail/spirits) and will lead you on a tour of great drinks.
  5. Must order (includes, but not limited to): sashimi, chinmi, salmon trout
  6. Drink shochu.
2 Likes

Best way to enjoy your experience at Shibumi is to cancel your reservation and eat elsewhere

3 Likes

About 3 weeks in and the $88 marble fish (same prep, same fish) is now 36% cheaper at $56. So yeah, i would say that fish at $88 was overpriced.
I guess only rubes who ā€œnever had good fish beforeā€ would pay $88 for a fishā€¦ oh wait.

3 Likes

Or their cost went down. Does any other restaurant sell it?

That second menu canā€™t possibly be real? Isnā€™t this the mall basement restaurant?

1 Like

Chinese style pricing for the king crab, $888 :laughing:

But guessing that price could possibly get you a king crab 3 way, whole roasted suckling pig, roasties, soup, high end fried rice and maybe couple pounds of live prawns at Sea Harbor plus enough for corkage on wine to feed 8 to 10ā€¦

2 Likes

TBF, it looks like the king crab comes with $100 of unmentioned caviar?

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz1w9CHBiHt/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Skenes corrected himself: ā€œCraviarā€

1 Like

I donā€™t think anybody else has tanks like Anglerā€™s.

The story of the king crab that ate 27 spot prawns at Angler might sound far-fetched, but itā€™s also just what happens when a predator encounters prey.

not in la

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bzt-misBfst/

Maybe itā€™s a 12-14lb beast and is in line with Newport seafood in pricing. Last year the king crab at Newport was $70/lb. which is even more audacious in pricing than Angler in the grand scheme of things.

That salmon trout at Shibumi is really good. I still remember it from my visit last year. The only reason I havenā€™t been back to Shibumi is because I am not a downtown denizen and I usually donā€™t like to stray far from my habitat. Otherwise, I could see myself at Shibumi once a week.

1 Like

Rightly or wrongly, I personally canā€™t get past the Beverly Center location, even though it isnā€™t terribly far from me. The Beverly Center just creeps me out. The last thing I want to do is to spend a lot of money to dine in an antiquated shopping center. Heā€™s competing with a lot of other high end restaurants and I think I read he has 120 seats to fill. I wish them well, but I think their business plan is crazy. I love fish and I love high end dining and if you canā€™t lure me into your nearby restaurant. . . Hmmn, unless Iā€™m a complete outlier, your restaurant may not make it.

3 Likes

I was a wild child when they were building it. My little friends and I climbed the crane in the middle of the night and gazed out at Los Angeles. One of the most magical nights of my life.

10 Likes

Maybe Iā€™m in the minority but I really donā€™t understand the hiccup over the Beverly Center. Who cares if a restaurant is in a mall? If the space is nice and the food is good, thatā€™s fine by me. Why is a restaurant being in an old warehouse in the ghetto better than a restaurant in a mall in an upscale part of the city?

10 Likes

Same here.
The real Sergio is cooking from his home near lax these days.
Many Angelinoā€™s eat on street corners next to trucks/grills as well as with Michelin starred restaurants in back alleys off the promenade.

5 Likes

You donā€™t go through the mall to get to the restaurant and parking is free. There are lots of great restaurants with no view in otherwise uninteresting strip malls where you have to pay for a valet or find street parking.

Tonight (Tuesday), OpenTable shows no reservations between 6:15 and 8:45. Friday and Saturday, nothing before 8:45.

many restaurants have OpenTable blocks during prime time. whether that is or is not the case here, someone will have to post up a picture of the dining room.

1 Like

I donā€™t like malls and I donā€™t like basements and I donā€™t want to spend a million dollars to eat in one. There is so much good food here, I would rather not eat in enclosed places. I was perfectly happy eating on a milk crate in Gjustaā€™s parking lot back in the day. It was outdoors and there was a tree.

1 Like