Angler - The Embarcadero

I went for lunch last week. They’ve had lunch Thurs-Sat for a little while now. Menu is just slightly different. Wasn’t sure if they’d do Tues and Wed but it’s now another option when working around there. They are sensitive to time for workers’ lunch hours.

1 Like

Same prices?

As “senior citizens” we love lunch out. Did you like it?

Yes. They just don’t do the whole fishes / chickens, etc. for lunch.

Yes. I like the idea of returning for lunch for some oysters, a salad (radicchio or even the simple lettuces and herbs is very good), parker rolls, and split a fish and maybe one other main animal protein, a glass of wine with the fish or a daquiri to start. Finish with the sundae with smoked caramel. I loved several permutations of the beet at Saison, but the beet at Angler is dressed with walnut oil and walnuts (I don’t eat walnuts, so I haven’t tried it). Also, the bar is also open for walk-ins and isn’t hard to get in if you get there when they open. Similar to how I’d order at Zuni (oysters, caesar, chicken, a glass of wine). I liked the Shigoku and Miyagi oyster varietals in particular.

The radicchio with vegetarian “XO” is very good. It’s not actually a head of radicchio, but rather the best leaves of several radicchios, each cleaned and dressed separately, then recomposed to look like one head.

4 Likes

Thanks, sir. Your opinion is always valued.

1 Like

Inspired by Dave Chang’s podcast, I went back last night. Walked in a little after 9:00, they had seats at the second bar but those stools are pretty uncomfortable so we sat outside. Great view of the Bay Lights and with the heater it was quite comfortable. Table was a little small.

Parker House rolls & butter ($12), radicchio $15), and beet ($16) were pretty much identical to last time. All great but (except for the rolls & butter) to me it’s weird for a restaurant so focused on local products to have unchanging signature dishes.

Caesar ($12): very good though eclipsed by the radicchio. This time of year, why not use romaine lettuce, which is at its peak?

Potato ($16): fried outside was nice but the inside was quite dry. The prep doesn’t make sense to me. Didn’t finish, wouldn’t order again.

Grilled lobster ($60): good but quite small and a little dry.

Hen of the Woods ($15): subtle and delicious but probably wouldn’t order it again.

They served the beets and mushrooms as sides to the lobster but they would have worked better before. Vice-versa for the potato.

With a bottle and glass of wine from the lower end of the price range ($70 & $19), 6% SF mandate, and sales tax, the total before tip was $271.42. Even by SF standards I think that’s kind of a lot for a light, mostly vegetarian dinner for two.

3 Likes

Thanks for saying that before I finished my math.

Pre-benu bang-bang

ice cold bivalves - shigoku (willapa bay, wa), kumamoto (willapa bay, wa), pacific gold (morro bay, ca)
the molluscs and cocktail sauce were excellent

the chicken or the egg?

antelope tartare
this was fine; lean and clean.

heirloom tomato with honey vinegar
holy shit, mind fucking blow, the best tomato i’ve ever had and possible the best thing i’ve had at angler so far. the tomato itself was perfect but then it was topped with fourteen tomatoes cooked down in the embers and the concentration of sweet, smoky, umami flavors was incredible. it was basically tomato turned up to 11 and as dave chang would say a “fuck you josh skenes” dish. great rec @BradFord. This is a must order @Chowseeker1999, @Bookwich, @beefnoguy, @brisket44

grilled hand-dived scallops
textbook. excellent crust. loved the butter-lemon sauce.

milk soft serve ice cream, smoked caramel, cacao nibs, salt
leave the caramel. take my diet.

toto

7 Likes

Thanks @PorkyBelly. Sounds wonderful. :slight_smile: Would you say the OG Angler is just cooking at a different level (better) than the new L.A. branch?

1 Like

I was thinking that tomato would be great. Was the whole tomato raw? Peeled? I’ll have to get in to try it while the season lasts.

No, I wouldn’t say that, both places are cooking at a very high level and are pretty equal food-wise. The biggest difference is sf’s superior location and higher price.

If the la location has the heirloom tomato on the menu I wouldn’t hesitate to order it.

2 Likes

It was either raw or slightly poached and peeled.

So do you prefer cocktail sauce with oysters rather than mignonette or just a squeeze of lemon

2 Likes

bang before benu. came for the oysters, stayed for frosty, thanks @butteredwaffles.

angler setup individual parklets for each table that felt very safe. temperature checks and contact info provided at check-in and everybody were in masks.

mosquito report: none.

kusshi (vancouver, bc), kumamoto (oakland bay, wa)
excellent as before, my only complaint is the spoon they give you for the oysters is too big for the minionette glass #covidproblems

(new) embered oysters
this tasted like hog island’s grilled oysters with chipotle bourbon butter, but less sweet and more savory. delicious. @TheCookie

grilled blue prawns with chili and meyer lemon
this was like la angler’s live spot prawn dish, wish there was more sauce to dip all the bread in.

embered caramel frosty
basically their must-order milk soft serve sundae without the coco nibs. next time I’ll ask for some more caramel on the side.

10 Likes

Damn. Frosty envy all over again!

1 Like

:drooling_face: Even the lemons look special, lol.

1 Like

Color and shape look like a Meyer.

2 Likes

they were meyer

1 Like

Saison Smokehouse’s last day is next Saturday, 10/17. Angler will reopen Friday, 10/23.