Angry Egret Dinette

Nice to see a little restaurant-related ambition on the part of our food section’s critics!
IMHO, they have been “Capitol Police level derelict” as far as their duties vis-a-vis restaurants during the pandemic.
OTOH, they have certainly have very been busy with all sorts of social issues, and with home-cooking, but not so much with restaurants and new dishes.

5 Likes

dinner
https://www.instagram.com/p/CP_WX3RDw7a/

7 Likes

Eggs on eggs? Why, yes please!
I adore the kick from the hot sauce.

13 Likes

oysters peinados, mignonette, uni and salsa

stuffed squash blossoms, valdivia farms squash, tempura, whipped ricotta, tomato

campechana de coco, hamachi, wild mexican white shrimp, dungeness crab, cucumber, tomato, lime, serrano, avocado, salsa macha

pupu platter

no toto

can I get a @JeetKuneBao prd “extraordinary enthusiasm” please?

prd

peaches, cream, frosted flakes kakigori

18 Likes

Were there highlights at Angry Egret?

Built-in uni on those oysters 'cuz they knew you’d be doing a size comparison.

3 Likes

i liked the chicken empanadas and pork skewers on the pupu platter.

3 Likes

I’ll support anything Dj Wes does

2 Likes

Better eats than the French Laundry!

11 Likes

gavin == exile?

4 Likes

Ouch… Not undeserved, but… ouch.

2 Likes

Will depend on the election results.

1 Like

???
@Chowseeker1999

4 Likes

Oops wrong Gavin

1 Like

Gavin =/= Gavin

@paranoidgarliclover figured I’d move this over here to say - yes exactly! Every time I go (all of four times so far) I find this.

This most recent visit, I got an Atwater breakfast burrito. Each component was solid but it really didn’t come together, and it was screaming for salsa. There was none on the side and not much evidence of any in the burrito, except a clump of crushed chile at the bottom. Also got two bean and cheese grab-n-go tacos, and the beans had been absolutely obliterated like Thanos snapped them out of existence, just a little bean-colored dust and a lump of cheese inside. And again, no salsa where it was desperately needed.

Last time I had the fish tacos, which were good but the tortillas were all wrong, weirdly hard where they should be pliable and squishy where they should have been hard. Fry was fine, fish was fine, but it was all just a little off.

I wonder if the menu should be more focused, or more consistent. Maybe in an effort to keep things fresh and fun they’re trying to do too much? I dunno, based on press clippings seems like this is a minority opinion so maybe I’m crazy or just hitting at off times.

5 Likes
5 Likes

Soon to be RIP

https://www.instagram.com/p/C00wNsqOy1P/?igshid=ZTcxMWMzOWQ1OA==

5 Likes

Wes seems like a good dude. Looking forward to what he’s cooking up next.

2 Likes

From LA Taco, seems like he’s doing OK and working on something else.

5 Likes