Animal 🐖

Methinks whore

Whoa!

Please bring back the Chicken Oysters! Please! :heartbeat:

7 Likes

and the foie gra…, uh I mean plus-sized liver biscuit

https:/uploads/default/original/3X/4/c/4c070df50719ead8951b07136a104fbd62483ced.jpg

8 Likes

So many things! Have I mentioned that I’m sooo happy!

4 Likes

Reopening next week.

1 Like

live :pig2:

4 Likes

I think we need an evening there.

3 Likes

after a two year absence I’m so happy animal is finally back. I saw a couple familiar faces from the foh but apparently the boh is entirely new.

both sergios were in the kitchen on this night.

no foie biscuit :sob:

hamachi tostada 3.0, fish sauce vinaigrette, peanut, avocado

:pig2: :pig2: :pig2: :pig2: :pig2:

always a must order. this one had less height (no cabbage?) then the previous version, but still excellent. love the salty, sour, sweet, tart fish sauce vinaigrette and all the fresh herbs and peanuts, very vietnamese chicken salad-y.

chicken liver toast

another must order. I think I like this newest version even better. the liver and shallot jam are still insanely good but now it’s on crispy, soft, buttery brioche instead of a crusty toast.

(new) dungeness crab, tomato, kombu, shiso

:pig2: :pig2: :pig2: :pig2:

really nice light and refreshing bites.

sugar snap peas, ponzu, green garlic, sesame

:pig2: :pig2: :pig2:

nice knife work and charring on these snap peas

chicken oyster yakitori, smoked paprika, crème fraiche

I think this may of had some tumeric in it, that with the dill, reminded me of another vietnamese dish, cha ca thang long.

the flavor was there but the oysters had a stringy texture like it was any old piece of thigh meat.

(new) chicken tsukune, ma la vinaigrette

surprise highlight of the night. the tsukune was juicy and flavorful and I could have eaten it plain and been happy. the sauce just made it even better, it was more of a sweet-spicy, there wasn’t any ma.

yellowtail collar, jerk spices, jicama, citrus, palm sugar

this hasn’t changed from previous versions. the sauce is sweet, collar is spicy and you definitely need to try and get a piece of citrus and onion in each bite to balance everything out.

boniato yam, lemon crème fraiche, pepita, salsa verde, za’atar

the yams were perfectly fried so it had a crisp outside but was still creamy on the inside.

crispy pig ear, red chili, lime, market egg

:pig2: :pig2:

ears were solid but there was just too much lime

michy’s tuna tartare, cilantro, ginger, crème fraiche, chips

barbeque pork belly sandwich, slaw

another classic

quail fry, grits, maple bacon jus

breading on the quail was crispy but a bit too thick, loved the maple bacon.

and the ol 18% service charge is not a gratuity has reached animal, which was no surprise.

l did leave extra but at the same time still felt bad that I somehow under tipped.

16 Likes

Damn, it looks like they are hitting on all cylinders from the jump! that is looks like a fantastic meal.

That service charge/tipping policy is pure douchebaggery though.

7 Likes

38 posts were merged into an existing topic: Restaurant surcharges & service charges: threat or menace?

Okay, I’m mistaken. We’ve got resys someplace else next week and Animal on a later date. So much eating to do it’s hard to keep up! Will report back!

4 Likes

No need to rehash @PorkyBelly’s report, but tacking on my stray impressions :disguised_face:

Obviously it’s been a couple years since I was at Animal, but was truly happy to see it up and running again with both sergios in the house.

Hamachi Tostada 3.0

An improvement–it was less sloppy and still punching with flavor.

Chicken Liver Toast

No. 2 on my Best Toasts Big Board. Also improved by the brioche toast.

Chicken Oyster Yakitori

I’m a bit conflicted on this one. I feel like I enjoyed the flavor itself more than @PorkyBelly, but also wondered if there was a bit more thigh in here than we probably thought there’d be. I mean, it would be 2 chickens for 4 oysters, and so I get how that just wouldn’t make sense for a restaurant to commit to fully. But I don’t actually know what’s going on behind the scenes :man_shrugging:

Chicken Tsukune

Seriously, maybe has the chicken tsukune belt right now.

Boniato Yam

The fry was wonderfully light and it was such a great delicious bite–I could have had a whole order to myself.

Finally, here’s my power ranking.

1. Chicken Liver Toast
  2. Chicken Tsukune
  3. Boniato Yam
  4. Hamachi Tostada 3.0
  5. BBQ Pork Belly Sandwich
  6. Michy’s Tuna Tartare
  7. Dungeness Crab
  8. Chicken Oyster Yakitori
  9. Sugar Snap Peas
  10. Crispy Pig Ear
  11. Yellowtail Collar
  12. Quail Fry

Any ways for Animal to go to the next level? The meal would have been better with chop sticks.

9 Likes

5 Likes

Dodge city salami is what I pick up anytime I’m putting together a charcuterie board, but that’s not something I’d order at animal. Is it dressed up in any way or just served as sliced salami?

1 Like

we didn’t order it but the table next to us did, it looked like it was just slices on a plate.

2 Likes

That seems very odd. Definitely skip that and just head to your local cheesemonger.

2 Likes

I was thinking maybe a replacement of the petite basque with onions salami and toast. Slices of salami on a plate seems very odd.

1 Like

horses does the same thing with their saucisson.

1 Like

Was it at least crispy? I loved that dish.

1 Like