Antico Nuovo by Chad Colby

They’re still selling pizza and ice cream.

https://app.upserve.com/s/antico-los-angeles-los-angeles

The shop with pottery and linens seems awfully tangential to the restaurant business.

1 Like

The bat signal needs to go out for this one…
https://www.instagram.com/p/CQzBh9nMFPI/?utm_medium=copy_link
It is as amazing as the Harry’s Berries, and is my favorite stone fruit ice cream.

6 Likes

Why the name change from Antico to Antico Nuovo?

Resys Open!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSadaUMFrUF/?utm_medium=copy_link

5 Likes

market fruit - stone fruit, fig, marsala, almonds
the marsala was a nice complement to the sweetness of the perfectly ripe peaches, plums, and figs. delicious.

focaccia - olive oil, sea salt
a bit like felix’s pillowy soft focaccia but with a really nice thin and crispy crust.

spaghetti - uni aglio e olio
uni on top was sweet and delicious, pasta had a medium firmness, sauce could have been a bit thicker to stick to the pasta better.

orecchiette al tavola di nunzia - sausage & broccoli
topped with pecorino and crispy breadcrumbs. good.

pollo e crostone - chicken roasted over foccacia
an ode to chi spacca’s pollo alla diavola? or a happy coincidence? chicken was nicely cooked and loved the crispy edges on the focaccia. I do wish there was some more sauce.

plum

damn I forgot how good the freshly spun ice cream eaten on the spot is here. instead of ice cream this should be called cold cream because you can’t taste a single molecule of ice in this cream. still my favorite ice cream in the city. must order. @attran99

also, I’m being followed by phil. luckily he didn’t bother me.

18 Likes

I’m really sad that I didn’t buy more pints of plum for my stockpile of ice cream.

4 Likes

Carnivore Night at Antico - my mother likes her meat!

Had the Steak (costata fiorentina) and the papardella last night.
Both were absolutely fabulous.
Terrific texture on the pasta and the ragu was sublime.
The drippings under the steak were fantastic. Wonderful piece of smokey meat and and incredible bone to gnaw on. Had a great Sicilian dry white for about 90 bucks.

Sergio was in da’ house.
Jon Shook (of animal, SOG, Jon + Vinny) was polishing off his meal when we arrived.
There were more employees than diners last night.
And by a strange set of circumstances I am returning tonight - for a less meaty meal :slight_smile:

16 Likes

hi @CiaoBob
what, no ice cream? thanks.

5 Likes

You must not know @CiaoBob that well. Not a dessert fan.

I love dining with him 'cuz then I can order a dessert for him and enjoy that as well. In other words, I can have his cake, and eat it too.

11 Likes

Peach and Honeycomb were on the docket but we passed. Big steak. And only two of us to take it down.

2 Likes

Peony: I think this restaurant works well as a good neighborhood restaurant. It had light atmosphere and very courteous staff. We were seated promptly, and the food was served fast. Compared with Bari, the flavor here is much stronger and brighter. I liked the texture of the focaccia and the al dente pasta. The fish had very flavorful seasoning, and the broccoli had a nice charcoal taste. The uni pasta, however, was not impressive as I didn’t get the fresh umami flavor from the uni that I had hoped for. Overall, all the dishes tonight were decent but not impressive. I don’t feel it is a restaurant worth traveling very far to visit.

Warrior: I wouldn’t recommend this restaurant. I cannot think of a sensible reason for going here instead of Osteria Mozza or Angelini Osteria. The cooking lacked refinement, and the flavors were basic and inelegant. To provide concrete examples, I think the uni pasta at Angelini Osteria and all the burrata dishes at Osteria Mozza are much better than their counterparts at Antico Nuova. I felt that Antico Nuovo’s heavy use of garlic throughout the dishes made it seem like a caricature of Italian cuisine. I did appreciate that the pasta was cooked to a proper al dente texture, and I thought the focaccia was tasty (though brushed with too much garlic). I am surprised that Bari has the same head chef as Antico Nuova, because the two styles seem like polar opposites, and I feel our recent meal at Bari was more elegant and refined.

3 Likes

Warrior: sorry to pile on, but I have another thought. Price matters. If this meal cost half the price, I would think that is about appropriate, because the quality level is around the level of Terroni (at least the now-closed DTLA location). If the meal were half the price, then maybe my review would read about how this is a nice neighborhood option. But these prices are higher than Osteria Mozza, a Michelin-starred restaurant. I don’t think this restaurant is anywhere close to that level.

2 Likes

Came here for dinner with a friend last night. Had:

Market Fruit
Bigoli
Ravioli
Branzino

Honeycomb Ice Cream
Ricotta & Chocolate Budino

Market Fruit was great, Bigoli was good, Ravioli were ok, Branzino was great. Honeycomb Ice Cream was fantastic (much better than the time I got it for delivery), and the Budino was decent but a bit much after everything else (and suffered somewhat by comparison to the ice cream).

Ravioli suffered from the typical problem of being a tiny amount of food. Branzino likewise had a rather smaller portion size than you’d expect given the price point - Tesse (which I thought was surprisingly good) had whole Branzino going for $38, with nearly-as-good execution and a flavor profile I honestly preferred to this one.

We didn’t leave hungry but for $100/head (after tip & tax) I think I’d rather hit up literally any other player at that price point. I’d come in to share an ice cream if I was in the neighborhood but I doubt they’d want to give up 2 seats for that.

8 Likes

Fantastic meal back at Antico last week.

Focaccia - Olive Oil, Sea Salt

Automatic. My sister and her boyfriend dug in quick, but the move really is to save the bread as long as possible.

Market Fruit - Stone Fruit, Fig, Marsala, Almonds

Fantastic. Super fresh.

Broccoli Red Oak Caesar - Parmagiano, Torn Croutons

A heartier salad, but the broccoli was a good choice to stand up under the heavy dressing.

Ravioli di Nonna - Ricotta, Tomato, Basil

If only my grandma made ravioli this good.

Plin dell’ alta langa - Sugo di Arrosto

We asked our server to describe the dish, and I think she only got to “drippings from the meat” before we knew we were getting it. It’s agnolotti filled with a variety of meats, but that doesn’t matter that much because it was absolutely delicious—especially with an extra rich sauce.

Side note–protect your empty dishes so you can soak up that sauce! No kidding, we had 3 different servers ask if they could take away our empty bowls that still had sauce in them within 60 seconds of each other. We fended them off, but don’t get caught blindsided!

Chicken - Focaccia Crostone

The chicken was super juicy with snappy, crispy skin, but the real sleeper was the focaccia. Holy hell was that chicken fat soaked piece of bread good.

Grilled Broccoli di Ciccio

Eat :clap: your :clap: veggies :clap:

Marinated Summer Squash

Especially when they’re in season.

Peach

Would have been better piping hot.

I mean come on. Antico is still spinning up (it was my favorite Italian place before the pandemic) and I do miss the anchovy toast, but it’s still one of my favorite restaurants in the city. They’re open on weekends now, which is nice, and I think their simple rustic cooking will only continue getting better as they get back in the groove. Sergio was in the house and came and touched the table, but it was a bit of a bummer to see that on a Friday night only half the tables were occupied.

The most ringing endorsement I can give—and I think this is important—is that my sister loved it. Italian has always been her favorite. When we were growing up, she always wanted to have her birthday at Il Fornaio because that was the best “upscale” Italian that was kid friendly in our neighborhood. I’ve brought her to many of the “elite” Italian spots in LA, and even having eaten at those, she said to me at the end of the meal that if she lived in LA, this would be the special place that she’d have our parents take her to.

14 Likes

either serve it piping hot or don’t serve it at all.

6 Likes

Had a great dinner here last night.

It was nice to see what the inside looks like in real life after spending more than a year ordering pizza and ice cream from the lobby area.

The service team here is first rate. From the minute we arrived to the moment we left, they were warm and welcoming. Everything was flawless. We ordered food first and then talked to Sarah about wine. She went through a full gamut of options describing them each and we opted to open with glasses of Nerello Mascalese, Murgo brut rosé and a 1985 vintage Bordeaux.

Market fruit
Amazing stone fruit, figs, marsala, almonds makes for a great opener. My husband was surprised that opted for this than the coppa, but understood as soon as it arrived. Bright and refreshing. Sweet and savory. A highlight of the evening.

Focaccia x2
So good we got two. It was great on its own. It was great to sop up sauces. And the floral notes of the olive oil were just lovely.

Plin dell’ alta larga - sugo de arrosto
Rabbit pasta. The texture of the pasta itself was silky and had a touch of a bite. We were both fans.

Creamed corn
Made with corn, a touch of butter and finished with a fruity olive oil. It is easily the best creamed corn we’ve ever had…and made a convert of my husband who has never liked creamed corn. We could have eaten 2 orders.

This is where I go off the rails. Photos of the Costata Fiorentina and grilled broccoli were too blurry. We felt that while the steak and pan sauces were good…the steak itself could have used a touch more salt. The lemon finish of the broccoli helped lift and support the cast of steak and creamed corn well.

Peach ice cream remains delightful. The husband thought it a touch salty for his tastes, but I didn’t notice it. The fresh peach topping is what I need at home to add to what’s left of my stash.

Chef Colby runs a very nice spot. We wish it was in our neighborhood, we’d be regulars.

14 Likes

Looks expensive.

Great to see Antico is still crushing it! How full was the dining room?

7 Likes

@rlw First, :rofl:

About 35% when we walked in at 8PM.

50% when we left at 10:30PM.

I was able to make reservations, and had my pick of all the time slots, when I hopped on Resy at 2PM.

I hope it picks up. This is a great gem.

2 Likes

Very nice but I hope they told you that was a Rhône.