Antico Nuovo by Chad Colby

Ugh that’s what I’m worried about… it doesn’t seem like they’re as packed as they were pre-pandemic. I don’t really know enough to speculate, but it seemed like they were crushing it with pizza and ice cream, and since they’ve turned back to indoor it doesn’t appear many people are clamoring to come back–even with hours expanded to Saturday nights.

2 Likes

I feel the same. It was a great surprise to me when I easily made reservations so late in the day.
Bari seems to have more steam than Antico.

3 Likes

In need of pizza and ice cream? Thursday only.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVgCQauvPdQ/?utm_medium=copy_link

3 Likes

They’ve started selling pints togo again.

3 Likes

A super fun dinner with Mr & Mrs @moonboy403!

Somm & server were very generous with tastes before we made our wine selections. It’s probably why I thought I was taking good photos but only a few came out ok. :woozy_face:

I’m not a big Barolo fan but our somm had a bit of a one track mind and kept bringing us samples with pretty much the same profiles, lol. Okay, if you insist. The Romain Chamiot Mondeuse, Vin de Savoie (not pictured) was a little fruitier w/prominent peppery notes on the nose and the palate. Both are good food wines.

A blurry photo of a $9 Focaccia w/Olive Oil & Sea Salt

Autumn Caprese - Burrata, Kabocha Squash, Pumpkin Seeds, Greens, Vinaigrette

I think vegetarians would find this dish very satisfying. The roasted squash has a meatiness, nicely caramelized, w/soy sauce-like seasoning, creamy burrata & nutty pumpkin seeds.

Creamed Corn

Yep, it’s a crowd pleaser. :slightly_smiling_face:

Plin dell’ alta Langa - Sugo di Arrosto

No idea what “plin dell’ alta langa” is but I’m going with tasty, little agnolotti stuffed with rabbit and bathed in sugo di arrosto (sauce of roasted meat drippings & juices). Solid.

Pappardelle – Beef Cheek & Veal Tongue Ragu

The photo is just before it rained parmesan and we tossed and coated the pasta with sauce & cheese. :blush:

Chicken Focaccia Crostone

I was looking forward to this. Loved it at Chi Spacca. Plus I had the coincidence of making it recently then seeing it the next day posted on Antico’s IG. I had to order it. Comments ranged from “dry AF” to “salty”. It wasn’t bad but it pales in comparison to Chi Spacca and my own which also pales in comparison to Chi Spacca.

Costata Fiorentina - Bone-in Ribeye, Drippings Jus

This is where I start to go off the rails too @attran99. Somehow I took a photo of just the side of the platter with a brown blur in the corner which was steak. Did I mention how much they encourage the sampling of wines? I stole this photo from Eater. Alas, this was my favorite bite of the meal. :hearts: Good smoke, juicy, super tender, seasoned, delicious pan sauce.

Honeycomb & Peach Ice Cream

I missed you! Did you miss me? This was my first time eating Antico ice cream in Antico. :hearts::blush::hearts:

You know you’re in for a startle when they serve the bill in a fancy box :wink:

The atmosphere is warm and cozy and the service is great. The room was almost completely full when we arrived, but there were not a lot of turnover. Let’s send out hopeful signals for Antico Nuovo’s longevity.

Happy Eating!

16 Likes

I adore that rabbit pasta and that bread! If I was a neighborhood regular, I’d come in for bread, veg, pasta and wine all the time.

3 Likes

Good idea! Fresh baked focaccia on a regular basis! :hearts:

2 Likes

hi @TheCookie

nice report. how was the focaccia under the chicken? thanks.

2 Likes

I should have mentioned that it was really good. :yum:

2 Likes

Free bread is the only good bread!

5 Likes

The play is to dunk that chicken-dripping-soaked focaccia into the pool of ribeye drippings…Best bite of the night :heart: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :heart:

5 Likes

Whaa?! I missed that move. Now you’re making me want to order it again! I could give up meat if I could still have the drippings and sauces with bread! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

oh boy…

I will note that this was during COVID, but this was probably some of the worst pizza I’ve ever had in LA when they were only serving this and ice cream at the time. Another place w so much hype and yet barely any different in taste between this and a Pizza Hut at the airport.

Very delicious ice cream though. For as bad as the pizza was, could say that the ice cream may have best some of the best in LA which is amazing considering… it is not an ice cream parlor.

Sadly, that has turned me off from trying this again. My next move will be Chi Spacca instead!

2 Likes

I’m a NY-style pizza lover but I really liked Antico’s takeout focaccia pizzas. But I can see how you might not like it. Technically the crust could be categorized as a bread.

6 Likes

Agree with your take here. I had the pizza twice during ‘covid’ and found the dough overdense and without fermentation ie lacking air bubbles. The cheese tasted cheap as well.

In the interest of full disclosure/comparison, for ‘squares’ I like Apollonia’s and De La Nonna. Found Quarter Sheets okay but too much gum line. Before the racism, I found Prince St. in Soho to be solid if unspectacular (haven’t been back since dude’s diatribes). And Mama’s Too is always great.

1 Like

Well, that sent me down a rabbit hole. Smh. #disgusting.

2 Likes

Also could be categorized as disgusting pizza.

Also from what I recall, very sugary or sweet? Pizza Hut was the wrong comparison. Chucky Cheese’s is better.

Have not found very good pizza in LA tbh. Besides Jon and Vinny’s obviously.

Which pizza style do you like ?

1 Like

To @honkman’s point, what do you like? And what have you had?

La Morra does the neo Neapolitan thing pretty well, and many like Pizzana. There are numerous threads about the best new york style slice, but that’s not my area of expertise. Also places like Side Pie, Little Coyote, Quarantine Pizza Co, Roberta’s. I’m sure I’m leaving a few others out.

With the internet, hand built Neapolitan ovens, and portable oven tech (Ooni/Roccbox), I’d argue that most American cities have pretty good pizza right now, LA included.

2 Likes