Antico Nuovo by Chad Colby

Had a mostly great meal. No pictures; sorry. From the top:

We did not do any starters. With just the two of us we went straight to pastas and mains. We got two pastas: spaghettini al limone and maritati in arrabiata sauce. The latter was honestly one of the best pastas I’ve ever had in LA. It felt like something you would get in the Italian countryside. Deeply savory, good house made pasta, with a spicy red sauce, bread crumbs, and chickpeas. Delicious. On the other hand, the limone was a total miss. This pasta is just not being done correctly. I had a feeling from looking at Porkybelly’s pictures, but I gave it a chance given the LA times review. The taste was overwhelmingly just salt, with a finish of lemon. If you want a limone done right, get the one at Terroni, which is fucking great.

Next we had two mains from the fire. Both were excellent. A roasted sweet potato with chermoula hit all the spots you want–fire kissed, crispy, salty, and delicious skin, followed by a perfectly cooked sweet center. Nice balance. The swordfish, which came with three sides (which were all fine, not great), was perfectly cooked and a nice portion.

So then, dessert. Between the two of us we ordered three ice creams and mango rice pudding. I am still regretting the amount of ice cream I ate today. Having said that:

If you are a fan of strawberry ice cream you owe it to yourself to try this. It is strawberry flavor amped to 11. Imagine the most amazing pure strawberry sorbet in terms of flavor, combined with a smooth and creamy strawberry ice cream. Delicious. Similarly, the plum and ricotta was awesome, very tart plum ice cream balanced by a ricotta cream. And the honeycomb ice cream was perfect too; rich and creamy, balanced with some salt and olive oil.

The mango rice pudding was the other miss of the night. As with the limone, this thing was just completely fucked up and shouldn’t be served at a restaurant. The texture was like hard and overly firm cottage cheese.

Will I go back? Not sure. It was not a particularly comfortable place to eat. It was loud, and the prices were very high. For two, all in, it was $245. Now, we did order four desserts and two glasses of wine each. But even if you took two desserts and two glasses of wine off (-$48 in price and -$14 in tax and tip), you’re still looking at nearly $100 a person for a very basic meal. This is homey, good Italian cooking, but it’s being sold at very upscale prices. In many ways this is a good example of the premium we pay for some countries’ food over others. The cooking at Soban is probably more refined but they could never get away with charging this kind of price for what they sell.

Main takeaways: other than two misses, everything was really great and the ice creams lived up to the hype. But it’s very pricey for what it is.

17 Likes

excellent report, thanks for sharing.

So I stopped by the other day for a quick bite, got there right at opening and sat at the bar/chefs table.

First of all I really liked this place, had a good vibe and I enjoyed the build out. Their wood oven is insane and all of the wait staff were cool and inviting.

I ordered the Arrabiata pasta which i thought was quite good but not the best pasta I’ve had in LA haha @Haeldaur.

But they brought me two rounds of Foccaccia, which were really really good. Nice and salty soaked in olive oil. Honestly rivals Felix imo.

Now the ice creams… I ordered the honeycomb and they graciously hooked me up with a strawberry also… super nice of them. The honeycomb was my favorite and the strawberry was quite good. At $9 a pop they are quite expensive though (especially with the required 20% tip on the bill).

Overall I’d really like to come back here and do a full meal. I’d say they are definitely on the tier of Felix and Bestia food wise, but with a much more inviting restaurant and wait staff. Their vintage wine list is also absolutely insane. Chef Colby was in the house and garnished my pasta and personally brought it to me. I like this place.

This place is expensive but on par with other restaurants in town… I’d really like to come back and have a full meal, the Ziti looks great just skip the spaghetti limone :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Has there been a fucking shrimp noodle sighting yet?

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx3-TaSh5h2/

Finally went. Highlights: antipasti, lead by the sardine toast, which was possibly the best item on the menu. Burrata tomato salad, and green salad, both excellent. The mains were also terrific: swordfish belly and steak. Both simply but wonderfully prepared. The strawberry gelato was the perfect way to finish the meal. Only disappointments: the pastas (which I thought would be the highlight) and the service. I guess when you automatically give yourself a 20% tip/service charge, there’s no need to care too much, and no reason not to try and rush you out.

1 Like

Nice review of the food. I disagree that service necessarily has to be bad because gratuity is included. Service is always wonderful at Danny Meyer’s restaurants in New York, which have all gone “hospitality included” (which is essentially the same thing as automatic gratuity of 20% - instead they just raised the menu prices 20%). I think it is more that for a small new restaurant like Antico that is not even open on weekends, they can’t attract good experienced waitstaff.

3 Likes

Agree. Dining-out culture in Japan supports this above statement (tipping for restaurant service is not accepted in pretty much all eateries there).

2 Likes

We went there last night for dinner. First off, service was impeccable and very attentive. Liked the antipasti very much. The green salad was pleasant enough but nothing special. The cavatappi with lamb ragu was too al dente for my taste but the ragu was delicious. And, as a nice touch, just as we were finishing the ragu, our server brought two pieces of the best focaccia I have ever had to “mop up the sauce.” Their spun ice cream was also terrific.

3 Likes

Had another very pleasant meal here last night, once again the service was some of the best i’ve had in LA…I really do like this place.

Had the Ziti with Tripe…one of the best pastas i’ve had in LA…super solid.

Followed up with the Chicken and the steak. Steak was good, but the Chicken was even better surprisingly…awesome crispy skin and cooked perfectly…and once again the Focaccia is standout.

This is a cool restaurant.

2 Likes

2 Likes

What exactly is the admin fee?

1 Like

It’s a service charge. Seems like that person misunderstood or was misled by the server.

antico

Colby, who includes a 20% service charge on all checks, believes the solution is to have a fixed charge on the bill that can be used to help cover healthcare and wages for kitchen staff, which cannot legally be included in a tip pool with waiters. “If you raise prices, it doesn’t necessarily distribute the way that it should,” Colby said. “People may get upset by the fixed charge because they don’t understand the intention behind it is to distribute that money evenly amongst the staff.”

As shown in this Yelp photo from July, he didn’t used to have a tip line. I wonder if the servers pressured him to add it and take off the stamp.

That’s not the credit card receipt. The credit card receipt has had a tip line since day one.

1 Like

Ah, right you are. That’s fucked-up to have a 20% service charge (clearly labeled as such on the credit card slip) plus suggested tips.

1 Like

Disgusting business practice. But I guess if people don’t care and continue to eat here, they have very little incentive to change anything.

“Increases in food costs, rents and minimum wages make it harder than ever to run a restaurant in Los Angeles”

Then why do they keep opening them?

$350 for dinner for two from not a special occasion type restaurant sounds really steep. Hopefully this is not the new norm.

2 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/B97zNH8Bko3/

1 Like

fresh spun honeycomb ice cream #covid15 @TheCookie, @Hungrydrunk, @skramzlife, @Omotesando, @Haeldaur

13 Likes

So, that’s what spun looks like. :yum:

1 Like