Any place to get OSECHI RYORI in la?

I think I saw a box of it at Mitsuwa today but I was kind of questioning the quality. I’ve never had it before but would like to try the dishes. Any places I can get it?

Shunji

Thanks. Do you know when exactly they offer it? Only New Year’s Day, and is it available at lunch?

Ask them

Kiriko, too.

Bumping this thread - any restaurants doing osechi this year? We usually do our own at home, with a combination of Nijiya/Mitsuwa stuff (not their sets, but individual items we mix and match for fun) and whatever Shunji wants to spare me, but just curious. Thanks!

2 Likes

tsujita

1 Like

Completely missed that post. Thanks!

1 Like

Kiriko just announced (on the Kiriko FB page) that they are offering takeout Osechi. Call to order.

I’ve had Kiriko’s osechi before: Ken-san makes everything homestyle from scratch. Worth it.

3 Likes

Mitsuwa:

That Tsujita box looking better and better.

4 Likes

I highly recommend this strategy. The osechi boxes get pretty expensive (see @Ns1 post above) and may contain things that you are not necessarily interested in. Find what you like and buy the items separately, then augment with stuff you make at home or purchase from Shunji (if you are a baller)

My list goes like this…
Buy: kuri kinton (sweet potato/chestnut sweet), kuromame (candied black beans), kazunoko (herring roe), kamaboko (fish cakes), ikura, tsukemono
Make: shrimp, fish, shiitake nimono, roasted sweet potatoes, tamagoyaki

and don’t forget the dashi-based mochi soup, ozoni!

10 Likes

Absolutely agree, and thanks for that. Love that they have the section just for these too. We were just wondering what our alternatives were since everyone in the household is working late NYE.

2 Likes

My bad. I overlooked the actual question from your post and latched on to the part I liked. :zipper_mouth_face:

Shibumi is offering this now.
They may be offering the same thing or something more osechi-like at the end of the year.

3 Likes

Can’t be $180ea for those 4 compartments alone???

1 Like

My bad…didn’t see that 4 chopstix are also included :rofl:

6 Likes

Wadatsumi

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIzLYpsDz4X/

3 Likes

2 Likes

@chrishei: Here is a good-looking option

5 Likes

I’ve had Chef Ai’s food multiple times in recent months, its really a great value and she does try to differentiate herself with unique or lesser known preparations.

3 Likes

Not in LA, but this is an awfully nice photo from Iyasare in Berkeley: maguro, sake, saba, hamachi, tako, hotate, ikura, snow crab, unagi, tobiko, edamame, kaiware, shiso, renkon, gobo, served over sushi rice, $190, serves 4-6

2 Likes