Any Vegans here?

Just wondering. Not sure where to post this.

2 Likes

I don’t know, but:

https://www.foodtalkcentral.com/search?q=vegan

1 Like

I vegan back and forth. Accidental vegan often. Why do you ask?

3 Likes

I’ve been doing it for 42 days. need to talk to my peeps.

5 Likes

I’m here for you.

4 Likes

Not vegan, but less meat consumed than previously. My significant other doesn’t eat dairy for stomach reasons, and is icked out by meat in general. Doesn’t like to see it on the bone, but is okay with smaller pieces (like if its in a soup).

As a consequence, lots of veggies, tortillas and eggs here. I still make myself chicken thighs, etc once or twice a month. I look at vegan/vegetarian cooking a lot more than I ever have.

5 Likes

While not vegan, my last meals out in L.A. on my recent trip we’re with a vegan so I ate vegan by association. First up, Simply Wholesome on Slauson. Normally I would have ordered some Jamaican patties with greens and plantains but we tried a couple of their vegan options, the Caribbean tofu sandwich and vegan burger. Both tasty, but the flavors were overwhelmed by a generous slathering of yellow mustard.

If you’re not doing vegan for health reasons, the following were vegan facsimiles of their fast food counterparts: vegan orange chicken and chow mein at Pots n Woks in Whittier and vegan pepperoni and mushroom pizza at Purgatory Pizza in Boyle Heights.

8 Likes

Highly recommend Vinh Loi Tofu, https://www.vinhloitofu.com/

8 Likes

I’m vegetarian, not vegan (I still eat eggs, dairy and honey). But I’ve eaten at plenty of vegan/vegan-friendly places in LA so if you have any questions I’m happy to answer :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Not a vegan or vegetarian but when I am not eating out most of my meals are very veggie based.

I don’t mind vegan/vegetarian food when dining out too.

I guess we the pics/reviews in here?

5 Likes

What’s the opposite of vegan?

4 Likes

You might find a few things here @Luluthemagnificent.

4 Likes

Majordomo’s pasta with hozon is a great vegan dish. The first time I had it I didn’t realize it was vegan until I was halfway through.

I’ve had some great vegan dishes at Baco Mercat and, sort of ironically, at Chi Spacca.

4 Likes
1 Like

I’m basically an opportunistic vegan, @Luluthemagnificent : I’ll eat dairy/eggs but my first choice is almost always plant-based.

Our Thanksgiving and Christmas meals were completely vegan; desserts, however, were not. Oddly, I’d not realized that until I was telling a friend about what I’d made and they pointed it out.

Are you interested in recipes, restaurants, general discussion and support? I’m game for all of those and most anything else!

5 Likes

Here are my favorite vegan or vegan-friendly restaurants. I would recommend all of these to any foodie, not just to vegans.

Jewel (The “carrot lox” is one of the most remarkably good things I’ve eaten in the past year.)

Plant Food + Wine

Wild Living Foods

Powerplant Superfood Cafe

5 Likes

Hi @Alkiegourmand - What parts of the city are they in?

1 Like

Get your Hot Chicken Sandwich, Vegans! I hear it’s Crispy, Delicious and Very Chicken-like. :rooster:
https://www.lettucefeastla.com/

2 Likes

I’m open to all types of discussion. It’s a miracle I have been able to stick with it. I REALLY miss my tacos, burritos and pizza. Yes, I know I can have all those vegan, I have been, but it is not the same.

SAGE in culver city is supposed to be real good. I haven’t had it yet, but people keep telling me about it. I had Real Food Daily, it was ok. But the vanilla ice cream was bomb and their ranch dressing was amazeballs. A friend has the book and gave me the recipe. going to make it this weekend.

Also, what kind of “chicken” beef and pork are places like vegan glory using? was thinking I could just by that and make tacos. The impossible meat is bomb! I’ve made burgers and tacos, but haven’t found a good cheese.

3 Likes

Been meaning to try this. It’s super close to my house. What do you recommend?

1 Like