Any Vegans here?

My Vegan in Eagle Rock. Menu was mostly Thai with pan-Asian and American options. Ordered and enjoyed their signature pad Thai and PET (pumpkin, eggplant, tofu stir fry). Fresh coconut hit the spot after a long hike. All seats were filled on a holiday Sunday night, with a steady stream of takeout orders.

Matcha donut from Donut Friend in Highland Park. The flavor combination with black sesame seeds and a dusting of freeze dried raspberries worked quite well, but it was sickly sweet. Also pictured, creme brûlée donut.

Lunch at the Arts District location of Cafe Gratitude. I can’t remember the feel-good names, but I had the blackened tempeh Cesar wrap and a beet, carrot, apple, ginger juice. My meal came to about $31 with tip—pretty spendy for lunch, but I thoroughly enjoyed my meal. Service was excellent.

3 Likes

hey there everyone, i’ve been a vegan for at least 12 years (in the beginning i wasn’t really counting). i always want to talk with vegan people since i feel that meaters don’t really understand me when it comes to food talking. i’ve always been searching for new recipes some of which i found on http://delicerecipes.com/, i wanted new vegan friends or simply someone to talk with. btw, i’m new here and i really love the site.

7 Likes

@Apdris, welcome! Looking forward to seeing your contributions to FTC :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So happy to have you!

2 Likes

Hi and welcome, @Apdris - glad you’ve come to break bread with us!

1 Like

Welcome @Apdris! Here’s some more Vegan for you.

1 Like

Welcome!!!
How did you find us?

1 Like

Yes, I am from Las Vegas.

I eat everything and if you use English or Russian I’ll understand any of your food taking

3 Likes

While driving down Sunset last night thru Echo Park I noticed the second location of Monty’s. It was packed and had a much larger space than Ktown. How do you guys like Monty’s?

Edit aww never mind it’s just an Impossible patty.

I rather have the Mushroom Burger at Shake Shack or the Vegan Burger at Burgerlords

3 Likes

SK’s Donuts (3rd St / Beverly-Grove)

I ordered the Chocolate Glazed & Banana Glazed. The glaze on the Chocolate has an artificial flavor, imo, but the Banana was delicious. :two_hearts: The Yeast Dough is slightly chewier than the dairy recipe, but they’re still tasty donuts and I’d eat them again.

5 Likes

Had these yummies at Qi Steam Kitchen on San Vicente & Olympic. I could eat a batch of these… or two as a meal and be totally satisfied. Best Veggie Dumplings I’ve had.

Steamed Vegetarian Dumplings

Szechuan Chili Sauce & Garlic Vinegar Sauce

3 Likes

what’s inside?

IIRC - cabbage, carrots, bean thread noodles, maybe woodear shrooms, a couple other things & good flavor. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I love a good veggie dumpling! So often I end up with a sad mess of unseasoned shredded cabbage and carrots inside :frowning: And I’m very intrigued by the vegan raspberry shortcake donut in your first photo :grin:

2 Likes

I agree @hanhgry. I know veggie dumplings aren’t the most exciting but these were a real treat. They were steamed perfectly to keep their texture & flavor.

Someone mentioned on the Qi Steam Kitchen thread that they lost a cook. I hope consistency stays the same.

:chopsticks: :dumpling:

1 Like

Hi @hanhgry,

The next time you’re in the area, you should give Happy Noodle a try. We had some excellent Vegetarian Dumplings (Gyoza-style pan-fried, Steamed and Shan Dong Stuffed Bun style!). :slight_smile:

Enjoy!

2 Likes

Wow @Chowseeker1999, these dumplings look great! I am definitely putting this on my “must try” list.

1 Like

Question- I am looking for a Chinese restaurant (can be takeout or dine-in) that serves tofu and Western broccoli with “brown sauce” or garlic sauce. I’ve searched on yelp and looked at menus for tons of places in central LA/SGV and have found only Chinese broccoli or they don’t include tofu. Or the tofu is stuffed with seafood. A little background- my husband grew up in the Philadelphia suburbs and I grew up in the DC suburbs. Nearly every Americanized Chinese food place around us had the same basic menu (orange chicken, General Tso’s, kung pao chicken, beef broccoli, etc) but they also could substitute with tofu. So you could get pretty decent orange or kung pao tofu. A lot of the places had tofu broccoli as a vegetarian option for the beef broccoli. We really want to find a place locally that does this!

although I realize that there’s probably some “contamination” involved with the sauces maybe not using entirely vegetarian ingredients, but I can ask the restaurant.

1 Like

Not directly on point, and I don’t know if it is vegan, but I just had vegetarian hot and sour soup delivered from Din Tai Fung and it was really, really good. And I am really, really picky.

Din Tai Fung only seems to have a few vegetarian options, however. They have tons of vegetables, but all of them come a la carte and there is no option to add tofu (or lean protein if you are not a vegetarian). They also have only one vegetarian dumpling and one vegetarian bun.

4 Likes