Any Vegans here?

Oh wow, thanks for the rec @onelabneh ! That’s pretty much exactly what I am looking for!

1 Like

Burgerlords moves to an all vegan menu

For the record I personally think they got the best veg burger

4 Likes

Their tofu nuggets are pretty good too! About 2 years ago they were doing collabs with different LA restaurants and they did an Indian-inflected veggie burger with Badmaash that was delicious! It was kind of like a vada pav.

1 Like

Prob for the best. Too much competition in the standard burger space.

Looking for a good Vegan cake. Any favorites in the Mid-City/Beverly-Grove/Koreatown/Larchmont Areas?

I know that there is a branch of Erin Mckenna’s a vegan gluten free NY based bakery in larchmont. I don’t know if it’s any good because I don’t generally partake in those kinds of desserts.

Thanks @hungryhungryhippos.

I almost went with Erin McKenna then read @MaladyNelson’s post back in ‘16 on the above link. Things can definitely have improved with new vegan/gluten-free baking techniques, but since the person is not actually gluten-free we are getting the Vegan Chocolate Berry at Cake Monkey… and I can get some Pop Tarts. :relaxed:

But FYI for peeps looking for vegan/gluten-free in a pinch McKenna’s has a generous selection of ready made cakes in the case and I hear they’re pretty.

2 Likes

I’ve heard good things about Cake Monkey! Hope the pop tarts are delish!

1 Like

I’ll report back. :wink:

2 Likes

Wonderful article on vegan tacos (and other Mexican foods) in LA.

3 Likes

I’m going to try to start again today. Jesus help me Lord.

4 Likes

Two in Whittier - last night I went to Veggie y Que. Solid okay and I’m interested in going back.

2 Likes

I like Wild Living Foods because it has its own cuisine, not a fake-meat version of another cuisine.

Sounds great! Let’s check out that menu!

Lox and bagels, sushi, pizza, pasta, tacos, burritos, nachos, pad thai… :thinking:

It does sound good, and I appreciate the rec! I hadn’t heard of them before and I’ll definitely check it out. But seems like maybe not quite the right place to weaponize against vegan versions of other cuisines?

Not to mention the “Irish cream cheese.” Is that made from Baileys?

Where can I get delicious bread? no oil and no enriched flour?

Most artisanal breads: Tartine, Lodge, Bub & Grandma …

1 Like

Robert is right, also stick to bread like baguettes, batard, boules. Breads like pan de mie, brioche, focaccia hamburger buns will usually have oil or butter or both.

Artisanal bakeries commonly don’t use enriched flour, though some do, e.g. La Brea.

Enriched flour just has small amounts of B vitamins added to partially compensate for the nutrients lost when the germ and bran are removed. Otherwise it’s the same as other white flour. If you eat a healthy, balanced diet, you don’t need to worry about the minor nutritional differences between white, enriched, and whole wheat.

https://www.bakingbusiness.com/articles/47115-a-brief-history-of-food-fortification