Any Vegans here?

For Xmas brunch I fried Beyond Bratwurst in Vegan Butter for the vegetarians. They were delish. Even the carnivores liked them.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s like my youngest son. Heā€™s not a big dairy lover but heā€™ll eat it. He wants to give up eggs, but 1) he hates the taste of fake eggs. 2) He works out a lot and needs a lot of protein to keep from losing weight. Yes, I wish I had that worry.

I used to think if I became a vegetarian I would eat a lot of beans, lentils & sides and not the processed fake meat stuff. But those Beyond Sausages were f-ing good.

2 Likes

I think the radicchio dish at Angler is vegan (or at the very least vegetarian) and could very well be the best veggie dish of last year in my opinion. Could someone fact check me on that? I recall something about the radicchio being slow roasted by the hearth for 6 hours and the ā€œXOā€ sauce being comprised of the juices the radicchio leaked out during that time + sherry. SO DAMN GOOD, I think I need to make a reservation after this.

6 Likes

@Luluthemagnificent The faux chicken/beef that most of those Thai or Asian restaurants are using are usually made from soy or wheat gluten. You can find similar mock meat products in most Chinese or Vietnamese supermarkets. Just be careful because sometimes they may contain egg.

6 Likes

I avoid processed food with ingredients you wouldnā€™t find in grandmaā€™s or Nathan Myhrvoldā€™s kitchen, but the Beyond Meat slider I had at a company party was tasty. Iā€™m never touching that Impossible Frankenburger, though.

1 Like

The Beyond taco at Del Taco is so good, I think itā€™s better than the regular tacos. They make burritos also, but I havenā€™t tried those.

3 Likes

So impossible is worst than Beyond? good to know.

Ok, will check that out for sure. Thank you.

what else did you do with it? Miyokoā€™s butter is delicious btw. A friend said her mozzarella is good too, but I havenā€™t tried it yet.

will make a serious note of this when iā€™m in need for something quick.

Also for anyone who might know, A friend said that costco has impossible ā€œmeatā€, but I looked it up online and it looks like itā€™s only beyond ā€œmeat.ā€ Can anyone confirm or deny?

1 Like

Cofax has an Impossible version of their breakfast burrito that is fantastic. And Iā€™m a fan of Fatburgerā€™s Impossible Burger as well.

Doomieā€™s in Hollywood has been around forever, cooking up vegan comfort food (i.e., not healthy but satisfying). Their fried chicken is remarkably reminiscent of the real thing.

2 Likes

with cheese or without?

1 Like

Just checked. It comes with cheese, egg, pinto beans, tater tots, jack cheese and a fried egg. I bet it would still be solid if you removed the latter two ingredients, but havenā€™t tried it that way so not sureā€¦

1 Like

These cheese is what makes their burritoā€™s the bomb! Thatā€™s why I was asking. oh well. Iā€™ll go cry now.

1 Like

Is it, though? Iā€™m open to believing this but at least some pros and cons would be helpful. A very quick (and not fact checked) search shows some differences in saturated fat, sodium, etc. in which Beyond Burger comes out on top but itā€™s not head and shoulders different.

However, if @robert is taking exception to the GMO element of the Impossible Burger thatā€™s also an important consideration. Beyond has no GMO ingredients whereas Impossible has at least one GMO ingredient (the heme that mimics the red juice from a meat burger).

EDIT: Iā€™d heard Impossible reformulated a year or so ago so I wasnā€™t sure if they nutrition had changed. Apparently they had with Impossible and Beyond being much closer with minor differences in fat and sodium. Iā€™m not making health claims either way, just linking to the nutrition labels.

1 Like

Not to derail this thread, but there is zero evidence GMOā€™s are harmful and, to the contrary, could be a powerful tool in the fight against malnutrition and in reducing our reliance on pesticides.

6 Likes

I didnā€™t want to derail, either, but for full disclosure I should mention I have worked with GMOs and Iā€™m not anti-GMO. Iā€™m also not explicitly pro-GMO mostly due to the way itā€™s been employed by big agricultural concerns but I also believe that itā€™s a very, very important tool that needs to be better understood beyond the frequently partisan talking points in both the pro and anti communities.

5 Likes

Strictly flavor wise i prefer impossible to beyond.

2 Likes

Agreed! Flavor and texture wise I prefer it but I donā€™t have a large sample size and Iā€™m not vegetarian/vegan so thatā€™s probably better argued by others.

1 Like

Definitely not a vegan. But, I really enjoyed the Impossible Burger at Mendocino Farms. I was unsure of the vegan cheese, but that was really tasty. Also the Impossible Burger at Buddyā€™s in downtown is good. Add tater tots (which I assume are vegan), and youā€™ve got yourself a happy meal!

1 Like

Might be worth checking out this vegan cheese shop in West Hollywood. It certainly doesnā€™t compare to the real thing (in my opinion), but it might scratch the itch when youā€™re craving cheese. It also holds up well when using it for texture on sandwiches and wraps.

2 Likes

Nothing, I just fried and served it with scrambled eggs. Use it like any sausage - in a hotdog bun, sliced up in pasta dishes, etc. My sister likes their Italian Sausage. What I like most about Beyond Sausage - aside from the taste & texture which is really good - is the casing got crispy & snappy on the outside like a meat sausage. Iā€™ve heard good stuff about Miyokoā€™s dairy products but havenā€™t tried. I used Melt Organic (nice & buttery). I think itā€™s sold at Target.

1 Like

Theyā€™re both highly processed foods, but Beyond doesnā€™t use GMO ingredients and Impossible uses more chemistry-set stuff youā€™d never see in a kitchen. Personally if I wanted a veggie burger Iā€™d look for something made from whole beans, grains, and vegetables, like Iā€™d use to make my own.

Beyond Burger: Water, Pea Protein, Expeller-Pressed Canola Oil, Refined Coconut Oil, Rice Protein, Natural Flavors, Cocoa Butter, Mung Bean Protein, Methylcellulose, Potato Starch, Apple Extract, Pomegranate Extract, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Vinegar, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Sunflower Lecithin, Beet Juice Extract (for color).

Impossible Burger: Water, Soy Protein Concentrate, Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, 2% or less of: Potato Protein, Methylcellulose, Yeast Extract, Cultured Dextrose, Food Starch Modified, Soy Leghemoglobin, Salt, Soy Protein Isolate, Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E), Zinc Gluconate, Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12.